Duke Of Edinburgh

Mr Nibbler

A colleague's son, who I got into geocaching along with his parents, has just announced that he has selected geocaching for his Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award "skills" section. Once he persuades his school that it's valid (and having seen some of the other skills kids have opted for I have no doubt it is) it seems that I am, by default, his mentor (did I mention his mother is my boss?). So far he has single figure finds but is dead keen and I'm toying with the idea of setting him a three month goal for finds and will include setting his first cache. Needless to say I'll be involved going out with him and his father to some of them along with my own lad. Have any of you got involved in something like this before or any comments or bright ideas folks?

Thanks in anticipation of your help/sarcastic comments/witticisms/discussions of a constitutional monarchy :rolleyes:

not knowing (yet :rolleyes: ) how much he will have to do, here's some suggestions! Try some without GPS, using map and compass skills. Do a night cache, making sure he is safely equipped. Do something like the quest for the ring. and combine it with a camping expedition. Or, if you want to be really evil, you could always suggest a written essay on GPS and its principles!

From my days as a mentor for badminton, I seem to remember that the most important thing is to show measurable improvement.

Oh well - didn't really say much - just waffling and putting off work!

Dave

Some ideas:

How about writing a letter requesting permission for cache placement, requiring research of examples, benefits, guidelines etc.

Placement of a cache after finding a variety of different sorts. (Able to explain suitability of hiding methods / type and size of container, will be hidden in Winter, not surrounded by nettles in Summer)

Speak to a younger school group / scouts etc about caching (research, presentation prep/skills etc). Take them out to demonstrate.