New Caches

sk8erboi_85

Caches need to be at least 528 feet from any other cache. The 528 feet rule applies to every cache and every stage of a multicache. It is possible to place a cache which appears to be OK and then find out it is too close to another stage of a multicache, you have to find the multicaches to figure out where the stages may be.

A circle with a radius of 1 mile would be two miles across, you could have a lot of caches in that circle.

The good news, as a noob hider myseslf, is that your local reviewer, who approves your listing, will check these things for you prior to letting it be listed. If you don't spend the time/know how to check before placing the new cache, which is accepted to begin with as I understand it to be the reason we need approvers, then the more wise will share the information with the less wise of us.

If it's too close to another cache it won't be approved and a good approver will let you know why. So, the feeling I get is, hide all you want, but try to search to the best of your ability to find any nearby caches, if it doesn't get approved and you're told the reason is that it's too close to another one, you can always pick it up and find a better spot. If you got all 3 approved and listed, then they weren't too close together. Just my $0.02 worth as a newbie hider.

Happy Caching and ALL HAIL THE HIDERS!!! :blink:

EDIT: to correct spealin' errors. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jester2112
The good news, as a noob hider myseslf, is that your local reviewer, who approves your listing, will check these things for you prior to letting it be listed.  If you don't spend the time/know how to check before placing the new cache, which is accepted to begin with as I understand it to be the reason we need approvers, then the more wise will share the information with the less wise of us.

Even better news is that the geocaching website has a thorough explanation of guidelines, with specific guidelines dealing with cache saturation here to help both new and veteran hiders. By reading and abiding by the guidelines, as owners of newly placed caches we know that our caches stand a better chance of being enjoyed by other cachers, and since they meet all guidelines get quickly approved.

The link above also gets folks to all the guidelines, just by navigating up and down the page. Further, the link is available on at the bottom of each cache submission form where you check a block to the left of "Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.."

I have no doubt that any admins or reviewers that may respond to this topic will be completely courteous and friendly in their reply. Deep down in, I suspect they probably are shuddering at the thought of thousands of new caches placed by owners not familar with the guidelines who utilize the reviewers for interpreting the guidelines on behalf of owners who have not taken ten minutes to read and understand the guidelines. Think of the hundreds of caches that are reviewed each week! If the new caches all meet the guidelines upon first submission, approving them is much quicker (in my experience, sometimes within hours!). If many of the submissions require interpretation, explanation, and coordination with the owners to ensure the caches meet the guidelines, then we are gravely tying up our volunteer reviewers' time. :rolleyes:

In my experience, a cache submission that meets all the guidelines and fully explained with all details in the note to reviewer usually gets approved very quickly. Cache submissions that do not meet the guidelines can take a very long time. What would you do if faced with a huge list of caches awaiting approval, and a majority of them did not meet the guidelines? I suspect the average person may become frustrated, not approve the caches with a simple "sorry, this does not meet the guidelines" note, and be done with it. Luckily, our reviewers generally have more patience than this and work through the issues. For all their volunteer efforts, they deserve our gratitude. :blink: Based on this, and out of respect to the reviewers for their tedious role, I attempt to ensure my cache pages meet all guidelines prior to submission for their review, making their job that much easier.

Thanks for contributing to the geocaching community by placing new caches, sk8erboi_85!

Edited by Jeep_Dog

I've had my last two caches rejected because of their proximity to other existing caches.

Despite the fact that I had read all of the guidlines regarding cache placement, I hadn't taken the time to research the area to find appropriate places to hide the caches.

I had scanned the first 10 pages of caches near my home coordinates and nothing really jumped out at me as a conflict for cache placement....but inded....in both cases I was less than 50 feet away from existing caches.

I've since downloaded Google earth and I'm now given a great "visual representation" of where the caches are placed. And with time, I'll learn how to transfer waypoints into my 60c, rather than manually punching in coordinates.

It's a learning process that will take time.

BTW, somebody mentioned laziness with microcaches...is it really wrong to place something like this in urban settings. I'd like nothing more than to hid a 55 gallon trashcan loaded to the top with rubber snakes and bouncy balls, but in my urban setting, smaller is better sometimes.

Caches need to be at least 528 feet from any other cache. The 528 feet rule applies to every cache and every stage of a multicache.

To clarify this point:

• If you place a traditional cache, it must be at least 528' from any other cache
  • If you place a traditional cache, it must be at least 528' from any stage of a multi-cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages must be at least 528' from any other cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages must be at least 528' from the stages of any other multi-cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages of that cache do not need to be 528' from each other

Hope that helps.

Caches need to be at least 528 feet from any other cache. The 528 feet rule applies to every cache and every stage of a multicache.

To clarify this point:

• If you place a traditional cache, it must be at least 528' from any other cache
  • If you place a traditional cache, it must be at least 528' from any stage of a multi-cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages must be at least 528' from any other cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages must be at least 528' from the stages of any other multi-cache
  • If you place a multi-cache, the stages of that cache do not need to be 528' from each other

Hope that helps.

And that is a guideline, not a rule.

If you read the description for this cache you can see that the volunteer reviewers can and do make exceptions for unique or novel ideas - "One of these micros is hidden at the geocache called "Fish", in amongst the fish micros" -

Caches need to be at least 528 feet from any other cache.

Why 528 ft? I know that that is 0.1 miles, but is there a tech reason - like GPS accuracy or ...

===sgb

The sepecif value of 528 was selected pretty much by consensus of the few people that were playing this game several years ago. The goal was that tehre were not several caches stacked up on to of each other, but still the opportunity to share locations that were around the corner of each other.

As far as it being a guideline... some folks will argue, but there is flexibility. If one can show the reviewer that there is an obstacle (ravine, large building, etc) between this cache and the other, then this cache might get published.