N.y. Visit

CENT5

My wife has been invited to the Freddie Awards dinner (She was a judge.) and I'm a bit freaked out traveling to N.Y. (It's been 30 years.) Her itinerary is set as shes's going into and out of LGA so no worries there.

I need to get from EWR to N40 44.145 W 73 56.066 and have NO clue how to proceed. (Those should be the coords of the Best Western City View Inn at 3317 Greenpoint Ave.) I can't find a cache close in to the hotel.

The dinner is Friday night the 4th of Nov. We need to leave on Monday (The 7th) She is flying out of LGA and I am flying out of EWR. (I work for Alaska Airlines and EWR is where we fly into/out of.)

Saturday and Sunday we have open plans to see the town and any guidance would be appreciated. While she is not a cacher she understands my hobby.

Any and all help in planning our trip will be appreciated and if I can get a chance to meet some NY cachers, all the better

You can use this cache as a reference. It is located in the SE corner of Central Park. You should be able to bag all the active caches in CP within a few hours. There are also others scattered throughout the city. I wouldn't suggest looking for any Queens caches - especially if you don't know the area.

Too bad your dinner is that Fri - there is an event out on Long Island - if you were willing to ditch her and drive an hour and a half to Patchogue. I won't even add time for Friday evening traffic.

If you're looking for some NON-caching fun (what's that???) there is a GREAT, FREE event going on Saturday evening. Each first Saturday of the month the Brooklyn Museum of Art sponsors a free evening of music, art, literature, film, dance, and music celebrating various cultures. The subway runs RIGHT to the museum and is very easily accessible from both the east and west sides of Manhattan. The event runs from 5-11, is in a very nice section of Brooklyn and draws an interesting, diverse, educated, exciting crowd. I drive the four hours almost every month to go simply because it's the thing I miss most about living down there. You can check out the schedule here and then click on "Target First Saturdays" for more details. If you'd like more specific subway directions you can email me with where you're staying and I can help you out. Well worth the trek to Brooklyn.

If you're looking for some NON-caching fun (what's that???) there is a GREAT, FREE event going on Saturday evening.  Each first Saturday of the month the Brooklyn Museum of Art sponsors a free evening of music, art, literature, film, dance, and music celebrating various cultures.  The subway runs RIGHT to the museum and is very easily accessible from both the east and west sides of Manhattan.  The event runs from 5-11, is in a very nice section of Brooklyn and draws an interesting, diverse, educated, exciting crowd.  I drive the four hours almost every month to go simply because it's the thing I miss most about living down there.  You can check out the schedule here and then click on "Target First Saturdays" for more details.  If you'd like more specific subway directions you can email me with where you're staying and I can help you out.  Well worth the trek to Brooklyn.

That looks right up our alley.

Seems I am on my own on Thursday evening and will probably do Central Park then.

Thanks for the info

I'm familiar with that Best Western - I pass it every day from work. Make sure you ask for a westernly city exposure. East you'll be looking over a cemetery.

Cab from LGA should take 10-15 minutes without traffic.

Central Park is a great place for caches. It really is one of the premier parks in the country IMHO. Well not so humble. However, I'm more confortable caching in the day there. Have fun. NYC is really a great city. You'll fit right in. Everyone does. :blink:

I'm familiar with that Best Western - I pass it every day from work.  Make sure you ask for a westernly city exposure.  East you'll be looking over a cemetery.

Cab from LGA should take 10-15 minutes without traffic.

I wish I was coming into LGA like Tammy is. I'm coming into EWR so it should be interesting getting across town. Though I see several shuttles etc available. I hope to get in on the early flt at 4:50PM otherwise Thursday will be shot as I won't arrive until 9:35PM.

We have the event at some place called Cipriani 42. Looks pretty swank on the website. I don't crawl into a Tux often but this is a very big deal for Tammy sooooo.

Edited by CENT5