Coordinates

gageplate

I am going to drop my car of on monday in a different part of washington and wanted to pick up a cache or two. My question, is there a way to put in the address of the car shop and see what caches are within a 10 mile radius. I know i can use the zip code but i don't know the area well enough to know how close i am to the shop. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help.

If you have kind of street mapping software from Magellan or Garmin you should be able to look the address of the shop up and then determine the Coordinates. You can also look up coordinates with Micro Soft streets and trip and I would think you could with Delorme software.

If you do not have any maping software if you send me the shop info Name, cross streets etc. I might be able to look up the coordinates for you when I get home later today.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

It's easy, just use a calculator and divide 50.16 and 37.40 by 60. Round your answer to 3 decimal places and then add it to 11 and 17.

So it would be 50.16/60 = .816 and

37.40/60 = .62333333 So, rounding would give us .623

Then.

11 + .816= 11.816 and

17 + .623 = 17.623

I quickly did it and came up with

47 11.816 and 122 17.623

I don't know of any software that automically converts, I just quickly do it myself.

Thanks Johnnyvegas.  I managed to get the cords. but can't get them to go into GC.  I know i need to re-format it but don't know how to convert it.  Any Help?

47 11'50.16N

122 17'37.40 W

Those coords show the seconds as well as the minutes. The problem is they need to be in minutes and decimal minutes. Take the 50.16 and divide by 60 to convert the seconds to decimal minutes. That gets you 0.836. Add that to the minutes you have already and you get 11.836. That makes the latitude 47° 11.836. You can do the same for the longitude.

Edit to note that Java Duck is faster at typing than I am.

Edited by WeightMan
It's easy, just use a calculator and divide 50.16 and 37.40 by 60.  Round your answer to 3 decimal places and then add it to 11 and 17.

So it would be 50.16/60 = .816  and

37.40/60 = .62333333  So, rounding would give us .623

Then.

11 + .816=  11.816 and

17 + .623 = 17.623

I quickly did it and came up with

47 11.816  and 122 17.623

I don't know of any software that automically converts, I just quickly do it myself.

:mad: Easy . . . ;)

Oh . . . my head hurts . . . ;)

#1 get the address of the place you drop off your car

#2 get the coordinates of that address

#3 using GSAK enter those coords and create a 'home-car'

#4 set this as home in GSAK

#5 get a PQ on the zip as you mentioned

#6 now center on your new home and all caches in that zip will be centered

cc\

added -

go here to translate coordinates

http://jeeep.com/details/coord/

Edited by CompuCash

Ummm, heve you guys ever looked through the menus of your GPSRs? Or (shudder! :unsure:) read the manual (gasp!). You can do all the conversions you want by using the GPSR functions (UTM<->lat/lon, deg.ddddd to/from dd mm.mmm to/from dd mm ss.sss and whatever else, as well as among all the various datums). Just go to preferences, setup, or the choice that allows you to choose format and datum, pick the format and datum you have in hand and enter the waypoint, then go back to your setup page and switch to the format and datum you want. Voila! all converted. No need to do the math yourself (although as noted, it's pretty trivial, especially if you have a "scientific" calculator, like the option that your computer has on it).