Paperless Caching

Clyde is currently helping me out on the GSAK forum with a problem I've made for myself using Cachemate Logs and GSAK to log them on GC.com :ph34r:

In short, GSAK lists all my caches by GCXXXX code, whereas cachemate has them all listed by XXXXGC. Therefore, when i try to import logs, it can't match any records!

The reason I have cachemate displaying that way is that I need them in the etrex in XXXXGC format, otherwise the whole lot will be under 'G'... so cachemate just lists them in the same format.

What do other people do?

Thanks for any help

Dave

wrt the e-trex issue of all the waypoints going under G. I get around that not by changing the waypoint name, but by going to the general area of the cache and selecting the 'nearest' function on the e-trex. It is a work-around, but a lot faster than scrolling down 500 waypoints. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it may help you and others in the future. Bud

I export to cache mate and the gps using the %drop2%typ%con which gives me a six letter combination on the palm and gps that are the same and the last two letters tell me the cache type ie traditional multi etc and the container ie micro .

edit to add

the hint about using the nearest above is first class we always use this when out caching, esp with some multis you get to the final cache then choose nearest and can often find one over the road.

edit again to add

cause my logs went rubbish when using the palm i went back to the old fashioned way and just record swaps and tbs on the palm. on holiday we keep a large book and write up the logs each night for when we get home.

Edited by markandlynn

I always look for the nearest as well, by far the best way of operating! I still like the idea of not having them all in the etrex under G though - JUST in case i need to select a specific cache!

I think I may have to resort to storing them on cachemate using the original code, unless I can get GSAK to display and list using XXXXGC, but still connect to the correct page on GC.com - thats something to try when I get home.

Clyde is currently helping me out on the GSAK forum with a problem I've made for myself using Cachemate Logs and GSAK to log them on GC.com :ph34r:

In short, GSAK lists all my caches by GCXXXX code, whereas cachemate has them all listed by XXXXGC. Therefore, when i try to import logs, it can't match any records!

The reason I have cachemate displaying that way is that I need them in the etrex in XXXXGC format, otherwise the whole lot will be under 'G'... so cachemate just lists them in the same format.

What do other people do?

Thanks for any help

Dave

If the only reason you are using XXXXGC format is because you don't want all the waypoints being grouped under G, then why not use Smart names for the waypoints you sent to your GPS and CacheMate.

GSAK creates unique meaningful smart names, and the load CacheMate logs back into GSAK has the option to match by SmartName rather than code.

I had been using the %drop2 code, but that means that imported logs from cachemate don't find a match in GSAK, because it needs either an exact match of GCXXXX or an exact match of smart tags. However, following the advice above from Clyde, and engaging what I pretend is my brain, I'm now using smart names all round, and everything works perfectly! B)

Mark, how do you mean your logs went rubbish? Admittedyly I haven't long term tested it yet, but all it does for me is open the logging window for the cache and then I can type what I like in as the log. I find it so much quicker! Still, each to their own!! B)

Dave

ahhh, i see. I must admit, I haven't quite got the typed logs to import into the GC.com web page, so i just use it to pop up the relevent log window on GC.com, and then type from scratch in there. Is it supposed to import full txt logs then, as I can only find the left, taken, and TB field, and these don't import onto the GC.com logging page. Oh well, a minor niggle! B)

I read this tread many times and have come to the conclusion that there might be a fundamental misunderstanding on data ordering here. I printed it off and digested all the old and new info whilst traveling home tonight.

Here is my feelings on the points raised forgive me if I have missed something here but from what I understand you order your data by the GC number but in the format XXXXGC and not GCXXXX; well what ever way you order the data because the GC is a constant it will always appear in the same order where ever you stick the GC you could if you wanted place the GC like so XXGCXX and the order would be the same as the other 2.

OK so we have that straight now you appear to use the GC number on your eTrex does the eTrex not the ability of "Short Names" so that they visually mean something meaningful.

It does appear that you are making your life harder by using the GC format XXXXGC, is this a peculiarity of the CacheMate software? If so I would say that the author should have considered the reasons why he altered a standard data field format (The GC number is a standard on GC.com)

If I still had a palm I'm sure I would be able to suss this out but it does look like this is not a problem but more a method of thinking which requires re-evaluating

Milton (aka Moote)

thanks milton - i can understand your puzzledness ( :( ), entirely down to the fact I was being a prat! The main thing that prompted me to use XXXXGC was my etrex, so that all my waypoints weren't listed under G. (I do use find nearest, but that's not the point!). Sooo, working within that limitation, I decided to export my waypoints to cachemate in the same format, so I could be in the field, find nearest on the etrex, and look it up easily on cachemate. Thats when the problem with logging arose...

So then i thought, as you rightly point out, I'll store them on cachemate in the regular format, as it doesn't really make it any harder to look up, as the ordering is the same. nice and easy...

THEN, Clyde pointed out the ease of smart names, and that is consistent across cachemate and my etrex, and GSAK creates (and therefore can match) them. So thats what I'm using now... and touch wood, its all working!

:drama:

Sorry! ;)

Dave

PS - I DO have a brain - its in a jar on a shelf for safe keeping :)

Oh dear I wasted a whole train journey trying to enter your "Psyche"; I had to come home and swallow a bucket of Prozac. Now I feel like ending everything.

But on the other hand the way which I do it with my PPC and 60CS is to setup my filters to prepare the GSAK export to GPXSonar once that is created I then transfer the same filtered data to my GPS using the GPS functionality within GSAK that works very well for me and I would think it would work for any software.

I read in a UK forum someone was thinking of setting up an Event for paperless caching maybe we all should encourage that event to take place. I myself would be happy to Tutor in such an event.

Anyway I'm glad that is all now sorted

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

my sincerest apologies sir! I never realised my pratedness ( :):drama: ) could lead people to clinical depression!

As to the event, I totally agree! Stuey suggested an event tutorial, and I suggested an online 'virtual' event, which I think would work well - there must be a wealth of knowledge out there, on almost every different set up of paperless caching! You never know, maybe Clyde would take part as well!

:(;)