Brass Cap Acronyms

red squirrel

What does it mean when you a searching for a brass cap and it says "w of GP, BGL.1.2 M S of C/L"?

Benchmarks? Throw up a link to the BM page.

Usually there are lots of local landmarks referred to in the descriptions.

"West of (G.P., B.G.L) and 1.2 meters South of (C.L.)"

I have no idea what the acronyms stand for; but maybe you figure it out from the map or your surroundings. Has anyone else logged it?

The GP could be some kind of Park and the ones that end in "L's" might be some kind of lake. Who knows.

But I am a reletive noob, so I could be WAY off! :unsure:

Edited by Teamhawaii1981

C/L is Centerline, usually of a road or railway. The others, I can only guess...GP might be guard post (usually called concrete-filled pipe from what I've seen)

Best advice, go to the site and try deciphering it there. Things might make more sense if you can see them.

The tail end could be 1.2 meters south of center line.

When posting a query like this, it's always best to refer us to the PID (e.g. AA1234) so we can put our collective wisdom to work.

Could it be west of goal post, behind goal line?

Obviously I haven't a clue. But if we knew this was located at a playground, it might make sense.

-ArtMan-

When posting a query like this, it's always best to refer us to the PID (e.g. AA1234) so we can put our collective wisdom to work.

Obviously I haven't a clue. But if we knew this was located at a playground, it might make sense.

-ArtMan-

I'm guessing soccer field with CL being center line of field and like you said above Goal post and Behing Goal line. That would make some sense.

-ArtMan-

I'm guessing soccer field with CL being center line of field and like you said above Goal post and Behing Goal line. That would make some sense.

"w of GP, BGL.1.2 M S of C/L"?

Hmmmm,

West Of Gore Point, Below Ground Level, ( Could be Below Grade Level also, the paved way being considered the grade being referred to) 1.2 Meters South of CenterLine.

We are talking 1.2 meters here... almost 4 feet. If it is near a centerline of something, it may in fact be BGL, Below Ground Level, as in Paved over.

Rob

Hi, Group:

The inquiry was posted by an individual in Canada, so the markings may be specific to his region. Also, he is a geocacher (with no benchmark recoveries), so the description may have been contained in the "clues" for finding a cache.

Nevertheless, I dropped him an E-mail to ask if there is a PID. If I get a response, I'll pass it along.

-Paul-

This question is about GC43F3 which is a cache in Alberta canada that travels to various survey markers thoughout the province.

A GPX file exists for all the previous "Brass Caps" which includes the government location information in the hints.

Since they have not found a way for Benchmarks to work in Canada, this is what we have been using.

An example is BCP064 which has the hint: "20 CM BGL IN A MH & COVER IN FRONT OF KING EDWARD HOTEL"

20 centimeters below ground level in a manhole and cover in front of the King Edward Hotel.

The initial question: "w of GP, BGL.1.2 M S of C/L" would most likely mean West of guard post, below ground level. 1.2 meters south of centerline.

Edited by Red90