Roads & Recreation Or Metroguide?

daytribe

I recently bought a Garmin GPSMAP60 to help with my Geocaching exploits and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, am I missing something or is the basemap only supposed to be a very rough guide. If I go for a drive with my GPS mounted on the dash and afterwards check the track onscreen, it only seems to roughly follow the road. The unit itself seems to be very accurate and I am really pleased with it. If I check my waypoints against Google Earth it's very impressive.

Secondly, I want to purchase some mapping software to further improve the mapping on my GPS. I have the option of purchasing one of the following:

Secondhand:

Mapsource Roads & Recreation Europe V4

or

New:

Mapsource Metroguide Europe V7

How much more detail am I going to get if I purchase either of these.

I live in Cambridgeshire and it would be nice to see some local roads.

I've had a look at the Garmin MapSource Map Viewer and for my area

Metroguide Europe doesn't appear to have any more detail than the basemap.

I can't seem to find any screenshots of Roads & Recreation but I have read in the forums that it is very good.

I would be very grateful for any comments and advice anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Mike.

I've had a look at the Garmin MapSource Map Viewer and for my area Metroguide Europe doesn't appear to have any more detail than the basemap.

Try it again - you need to zoom right in (0.2 miles) to see street-level detail in (say) the centre of Cambridge.

I own Metroguide and City Select 7, and I can assure you that there's a hulluva lot more detail than on Ye Olde Basemappe

I can't seem to find any screenshots of Roads & Recreation but I have read in the forums that it is very good.

R&R Europe has been discontinued, which is a pity because it WAS very good.

Hth,

-Wlw.

I have both and it appears to me that R&R is the same as Metroguide but without the individual house numbers, So it uses much less memory.

As someone who has used these products, would you say that having the house numbers is vitally important and outweighs the memory concern?

I may want to plan a route from one address to another. Can you still plan a route without the house numbers and just use the road names?

Hi.

Be aware that MetroGuide can't autoroute on the unit, whereas City Select can if your GPS supports it.

If you don't have City Select it only autoroutes on the basemap, ok if everywhere you go is on a main road.

I believe the Metroguide doesn't include the autorouting data.

I am not sure if the GPS60 supports routing anyway, I know the GPC60C does. I sure someone with a GPS60 will be able to tell you.

I have a Legend C which does supports it, so the C seems to have more features than the standard models.

This may not be an issue for you, but we are planning to use City Select and the Legend as a Tom Tom like device in a car.

See ya....Gary

I, too, use both.

R & R Version 4 can be updated to Version 6.8.0 via a free download from Garmin's web site.

R & R does NOT support auto-routing on any af Garmin's GPSrs but the information displayed on the screen will be pretty much identical. For full auto-routing you need City Select.

R & R map tiles use significantly less memory. Useful for the Legends and Vistas of this world.

I, too, use both.

R & R Version 4 can be updated to Version 6.8.0 via a free download from Garmin's web site.

R & R does NOT support auto-routing on any af Garmin's GPSrs but the information displayed on the screen will be pretty much identical. For full auto-routing you need City Select.

R & R map tiles use significantly less memory. Useful for the Legends and Vistas of this world.

Lets not confuse here when you say that R & R 4 can be upgraded free to Version 6.8.0. that is only the Map Source browser the actual maps are still the original R & R 4 maps

Also just looked and I have created a route on R & R 4 on the PC; not sure what happens when I transfer it to my 60CS and how that works but I have planned a route by typing in place names.

I do concur with the memory issue (to me this is what makes my Garmin very poor, 56Mb I've got MP3 that small) R & R 4 will fit the whole of the UK onto it; City Select barely fits the north of England on it :) Mind you I know the M6 toll road exist so no need to worry where to go if heading south.

Milton (aka moote)

hi all street mapings ok but what one is best for geocaching i have fugawi but cant use it on garmin map60c want some thing simlar :ph34r:

Not sure what this means...

Your Fugawi software should work OK with the 60C being used as a receiver.

If (on the other hand) you are looking for maps which can be displayed on the 60CS itself, your choices are limited: the only really suitable street-level mapping is Garmin's own (outrageously expensive) City Select 7 Europe.

-Wlw.