Hints Clues And Descriptions

markandlynn

Following on from the DNF thread it's clear that some clues, descriptions and dare i say co ordinates are slightly missleading or are very very clear.

We have caches of both types.

Our thinking is that we want most of our caches to be easily found so we make the description and hint clear enough for the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse. Others we make more obscure and raise the difficulty rating.

So should you ever end up searching for 30 minutes or more for a 2* difficulty cache we don't think so. If the difficulty is set that low then the clue should be quite explicit for when you need to use it.

If the difficulty is 3* then the clue may not even be there but the rating makes it clear that its a hard un and thats OK.

I think a clue should be helpful, although not always of the 'it's there dummy' variety. I hate decrypting clues which say 'no clue available', but I do enjoy a clever clue which you have to think about and solve.

As you say, it all depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Everybody wants people to find their caches, although a few DNFs and logs recounting a bit of a struggle are nice. On my easier caches, I use an easier clue, for example on my M1 J8 motorway break, because the object of this cache is to be easy to find, to give drivers a nice cache break whilst travelling up the M1. Another of my caches has a clue which looks unhelpful and confusing, unless you actually read it and think about what it actually says! <_<

Recently I added a simpler clue and a spoiler pic to a cache on which the proportion of DNFs was a bit too high. Anybody can hide a small cache in a dense wood with a naff clue, so it did need uprating. Now most people find it, but they still have to hunt around to do so, so I think it's better than it was.

Like Alibags, I fine-tune my clues (and, it has to be said, on occasion, co-ords) for my caches over time, depending on the feedback I get. I also amend difficulty and terrain points on the same basis. Some caches are so idiot proof they don't need a clue at all while others are a pig and need something rather clearer. If I get several DNFs (as I did with a cache I placed in Scotland) I might add an extra clear clue - or spoiler photograph, as I did on that occasion.

I also pride myself on having had the shortest, most useful clue ever seen on gc.com (in my humble opinion!) for a cache, now archived. It was just 'B', but it made everyone find the cache just fine (as my co-ords were very dodgy on that hide!)

One pet gripe are clues or descriptions which, perhaps due to a migrating cache or a change of season, with feedback from several finders, doesn't get amended.

I don't object to the odd DNF - that just means the last hider did a cracking job of covering the cache up - but more often than not it's due to a 10 minute hunt when a 20 min one was required, or miss-input co-ords. This has happened on several of my multis/puzzles.

As for how easy, clear, clever, unhelpful (it's under the fallen tree - when there are dozens under the trees) or cryptic a clue should be, that depends on how many DNFs you can live with. If I get too many, I have to go out and see if the cache is still there, so I tend to want my boxes found!

SP

The cleverest decrypted clue I have seen is the one on this page:

Compare/Contrast by The Wildeys

It had my brain going off at all kinds of tangents, until I actually LOOKED at the clue properly - very clever!

In fact, this is high on my list of favourite caches (no. 3, after 'Shaking all Over' and 'Doone View', in case you're interested!!!).

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

It had my brain going off at all kinds of tangents, until I actually LOOKED at the clue properly - very clever!

In fact, this is high on my list of favourite caches (no. 3, after 'Shaking all Over' and 'Doone View', in case you're interested!!!).

dont even speak to me about that cache. im pretty sure i know how to get the co ords. but i just cant get it to work.

i have had 2 clues from the owner but i still cant get it.

ive been trying for months.

Hehe, I was looking at that photo for weeks, I could even see it in my head when I went to bed at night! But when I finally found the co-ord's, I couldn't believe I hadn't worked it out before!!! The clue is very clever, although actually I could have found it without decrypting it if I'd read the page properly!!

I'm not helping, am I? I'll shut up and go away now... :rolleyes:

This is indeed an excellent clue to a cache, and a fairly local one to us. I won't give too much away by saying that it was down to Mr B to work it out because I'm not that computer-literate! :rolleyes: Mrs B

Edited by The Blorenges

One of our easier caches used to cause all sorts of problems with the clue (which was supposed to be a little bit cryptic) not making sense at all to people, as well as suspect coords. We thought it a bit strange as the early visitors had no problems. After several DNF's and then an email confirming our suspicions, it became apparent that someone had moved it a considerable distance from where it was first placed! :rolleyes:

Following on from the DNF thread it's clear that some clues, descriptions and dare i say co ordinates are slightly missleading or are very very clear.

We have caches of both types.

Our thinking is that we want most of our caches to be easily found so we make the description and hint clear enough for the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse. Others we make more obscure and raise the difficulty rating.

Agree! One of Mr B's recent caches (4* difficulty) has had several DNFs but, as the description says clearly, you need to do some accurate geometry to get the co-ords correct. Several people have found it at their second attempt, after emailing us just to check whether their calculations were right - that's fair enough. However, we were particularly pleased when one cacher managed to find it without any problem (alan g - Take a bow! :rolleyes: ) as it showed that it was possible!

Mrs B

I vary my clues .... but if the cache is rated 2* or less by me then the clue really is there to help the poor old geocacher and .... ME

as I discovered this weekend!

I had made a small eeenzy weeenzy error in a coordinate in a multicache of mine with potentially disastrous effects. The cache was found due to the skill ( 676 found ) of the geocacher and the clue which was pretty precise.

I have now corrected VERY RED FACED my eeenzt weeenzy error!

Hehe, I was looking at that photo for weeks, I could even see it in my head when I went to bed at night! But when I finally found the co-ord's, I couldn't believe I hadn't worked it out before!!! The clue is very clever, although actually I could have found it without decrypting it if I'd read the page properly!!

I'm not helping, am I? I'll shut up and go away now... <_<

I'm going to be horrible and say that I guessed the 'how to' on that cache when some cachers I met in the field told me about it, got home and had the co-ords in 5 minutes. Yet to actualy go down there and find/log it though as it is a little outside my usual area :lol:

Well I think that I have just sussed this one out and I have never seen it before, shame I cache on foot or I would be down there next weekend

Milton (aka moote)