New Geocacher

jakspeed

Hey everybody, I'm a new geocacher, I just found out about it yesterday from my friend who does it and I think it's awesome. Although I do not have GPS I still managed to find two caches yesterday. I was wondering if there were any tips for caching without GPS, because I went looking for two more yesterday and couldn't find them. It was very hard to figure out the instructions without GPS because it seemed to leave key information out.

It can be done, but it will be extremely difficult. You don't have to have a GPS with all the bells and whistles (compass, thermometer, altimeter, etc.), unless you really want to spend the extra money. I use a Magellan Explorist 200 that has a base map loaded in it. It is fast and accurate. The cost was about $150.00 to $160.00. Just do your homework and find what will fit your needs and budget. Welcome to the game and good luck.

If you print google maps or even paper cache, the ink money could be better used towards a CacheMate registration and a GPSr. Sure, you could brag that you found your first 100 without a GPSr, but your ink and paper money could be better applied towards a GPSr. Even without caching, you would be the only person in the office who knows the coordinates of the men's room, breakroom and the best parking space at work. Now that's some braggin' rights!

I've stopped at rest areas while travelling and found caches by accident. I figured there was one around but not having the info loaded in the gps, I simply checked the phone booths and picnic tables while taking a break from the road. If you search for 1/1 caches you will probably be able to locate them without much difficulty if you can pinpoint an area they are in with on line maps.