Emailing Finders

dingermcduff

Just curious: Do any of you cache owners out there email finders? How about DNFers? Do you just email the locals you know after a find or those with an interesting log? Do you often get emails from cache owners?

Personally, I just recently put out a few caches that are "on the beaten path", so they are actually getting visited by cachers of than a few locals. In a few cases the finders have been new to the game. I've emailed a few of these individuals to say "welcome to geocaching!" and thank them for hunting my caches. I also sometimes email locals that find my caches or people who post interesting logs.

Sometimes I'll get an email from a cache owner after I do their cache. I tend to write 3 and 4 paragraph logs, so I'm wondering if the email thing happens to me more than to others. Sometimes when I post a DNF I'll receive hints from the owner (I don't like when that happens). Many times locals will email me after I do one of their new caches for "an honest opinion" or just to say hi.

What are your experiences sending/receiving emails to/from hunters/hiders?

It's something I need to do more of. I occasionally receive emails from cachers thanking me for doing their caches. There is also a local cacher who never fails to send out a "congrats" every time someone hits a milestone. That's always really encouraging. That's always a really nice thing to get.

Bret

I'll E-mail hiders if I find something wrong with the cache, and expect vice versa. If someone puts something in their logs that I think warrents further investigation I will e-mail them asking their findings. If someone seems particularly happy with a cache I have hidden it's not too hard of a thing to email them a quick "Thanks!" with a click of their username.

I am however quicker to E-mail the DNF'ers than the people who find my caches though. In my eyes, since seeing DNF's is rare, a person who logs a DNF must have really given my cache a good look over and it stayed with them long enough to encourage them to log it. I know hundreds of people who don't log DNF's even after they have searched for days. But to me as a hider, the largest compliment I can recieve is a String of DNF's on a well placed, and not muggled, cache.

I will send a congrats email to the FTF and to someone who posted a nice compliment about my cache. No DNF on any of caches yet, if any would pop up I would send an email asking if they need any help. I want you to find my caches. I even emailed a finder for a hint to find a micro that I placed - it MOVED from the original hiding spot - go figure LOL.

When I get a log on a cache that says "This was our first find" I always email... just to let them know other cachers don't bite and if they have any questions to feel free to ask. I usually point them to a few others in the area they can try out without too much frustration.

I always get a friendly reply back.

:huh: