Multi-caches

eranou

At he risk of sounding stupid - when you set a multi cache, each stage ultimately directs you to the final cache.

Is there any way that you can set a multi-cache and instead of registering the whole process as one find, being able to record each stage as a find? If that makes sense. :D

Thanks for that Kitty Hawk, very interesting series but not quite what I had in mind. I don't think I explained it too well.

Lets say you strat a multi-cache which has four seperate caches, each of which gives you the co-ord's for the next with the fourth leading you to the final cache location (either by solving clues, answering questions or direct co-ords).

Eventually when you log the find, you only get credited with one find for that particular multi-cache (even with the Vectis series you mentioned earlier, you still miss out on the final find).

What I was wondering was, could you publish each stage of the multi-cache without giving out it's co-ords - i.e. using the same co-ords for each section possibly?

I think I see, have a look at Woodsmoke's series in Southsea. If you are really curious, check it out of GeocacheUK.com and really zoom in on the area using the interactive map

If your idea is an original, ask Lactodorum or Eckington, once they know the score they'll let you know if it's feasible.

Good luck

Adrian

No, no ,no - what i meant was that with a traditional multi-cache you get the starting co-ords and then go from there uuntil you find the actual cache then log this as one find.

What i wanted to know was if you could claim each stage as a find if you were to set each stage of the multi-cache with the same starting co-ords on each one so you wouldn't be giving anything away until you found each one - and thus being able to log each as a find.

I think that's what I meant - lol, begining to confuse myself now!

Have a look at "Snow White" (GCMJ67) and the seven dwarfs ("HAPPY" (GCMJ5T), "GRUMPY" (GCMJ5V), etc. The dwarves can all be logged as individual finds and information is collected, at each dwarf, to lead you to "Snow White". You can do a few caches and log them as finds or do them all and log eight (8) finds. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

OR

Are you saying that you hav done a multi where you have visited 4, 5, 6 or more locations relating to one cache and want to log all the locations as finds? In this case, unlike "Snow White" you can only record one find as it has the same "GCxxxx" number for all parts.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Master Mariner

More generally, if the owner of the multicache had wanted you to be able to log N finds, they would have placed (N-M) traditionals and M mysteries.

Each country (and sometimes, region) has its own traditions in regard to multis. In Holland and Belgium, where it sometimes seems like more than half the caches are multis, it's common to have to visit a number of waypoints which you get given in advance and look for a clue each time - for example, a number on a board. In this case, it's hard to see how the intermediate stages could be logged, except perhaps as virtuals (!).

If the intermediate stages are micros then the cache could be constructed as a series of traditionals leading to a final one. But the placer needs to beware of /a/ the 0.1 mile distance rule, and /b/ being perceived as a placer of "lame micros" to get their (placement) numbers up. What sort of logs will people write for the 7th of 10 intermediate micros on a 2-hour tour ?

Ah, I think I get it now, you want to place 4 caches each with the same cordinates that take you to a central point. From this point you can collect each cache which will lead you to a further point.

If this is it, I think you'll fall foul of the 0.1mile rule, unless the idea is so good that the approvers can be pursuaded. I suspect that this is why Woodsmokes series was done in the way it was.

Ah, I think I get it now, you want to place 4 caches each with the same cordinates that take you to a central point. From this point you can collect each cache which will lead you to a further point.

If this is it, I think you'll fall foul of the 0.1mile rule, unless the idea is so good that the approvers can be pursuaded. I suspect that this is why Woodsmokes series was done in the way it was.

I'm getting a bit lost between all the speculation as to what the OP wanted... but AFAIK the 0.1 mile rule refers to the final cache site. There's no problem to have four caches with the same start coordinates. That's why, for a multi or mystery, the approver asks you to post a reviewer note with the final cache coordinates.

Thanks everyone for all the answers, the closest answer to what I am trying to achieve is Skippy and Pingu's Rainbow Series answer. I had a look at the series and each part has co-ordinates for a parking spot nearby without giving away the actual co-ords for the find. This is probably the closest i'm going to get i think.

I'll try to explain my original idea once more though. Here goes.

Suppose I wanted to set up a multi-cache with four intermediate caches, each giving the co-ords for the next and the fourth giving the final co-ords for the main cache - so five in all. The only co-ords that I would want to give out would be the starting/parking spot for the first part/cache. Each subsequent find would then lead you to the next i.e. in part one you get directions to part two and so on.

My point being - unlike the Rainbow series where you get different co-ords for parking with each colour, could I use the same initial starting/parking co-ords for each part (1 to 4 and final cache) so that you would have to find each part in turn to find the next without having the remotest idea where the next would be.

So, in actual fact, the multi could be spread out over a large area or within walking distance as long as the final cache was over 0.1mi away.

I think that's what I meant. :D

Hi, let me try and give you a couple of pointers. First of all I'm assuming you've read the Guidelines, especially the bit on cache saturation. Long "strings" of micros designed to get numbers up are termed "Power trails" and are generally frowned upon. That being said we don't tend to see them here in the UK.

The way to do what you are suggesting is to make the first part a regular cache and then make the others "Mystery/Puzzle" caches. The general rule for "dummy" co-ordinates is that they should be roughly in the area of the actual cache i.e. no more than a mile or two away.

Finally I would urge you to ensure that each cache in your series is a worthwhile cache in its own right.

Hope this helps but if you want to discuss specifics feel free to drop myself and/or Eckington a note.

:D

Thanks for that Lactodorum, everyone is being really helpful.

Useful info in your last post, I can see where i'm going wrong now I think.

What I want to achieve is similar to the Rainbow series that Skippy and Pingu mentioned, but wanted to avoid giving any clues at all as to the locations of the rest of the series after the first (even parking co-ords).

I can see that this may not be possible now - as using the same co-ords for all in the series would constitute 'saturation' of the area.

A cache series, I presume, can be spread over a larger area?

And from what I gather in your post, each cache needs to be a proper cache and not just a list of co-ordinates.

The only reason I posted the original question was that it didn't seem fair that when you come upon a multicache and find all related clues/caches, that the whole lot is logged only as one find.

Thanks. :D

Edited by eranou

Talking of Woodsmoke's series, is it current? Personally, as somone who often has to visit Portsmouth for a few hours at a time, I find the series extremly irritating. None of the caches can be found without finding the previous ones, and I have never had time to get to the origin - which appears to be disabled for over a year. At least one other in the series has been disabled as it has not been found since August 2004.

Therefore, any search for caches in Portsmouth produces loads of caches that can't be done except as part of the series, which appears broken, and tends to crowd out the other caches.

I mention this, firstly in the hope that the series can be updated and repaired to make it clear it is completable. It does look an interesting series, and I would like to try it, but find I am put off by the probability, based on last finds etc, that the series cannot be done at present.

This cache called Lynn dadgum Frustration (middle word isnt actually that!) might be similar to what you are proposing. I believe (as I haven't done it but saw some weary finders in the pub afterwards) that it is very frustrating and takes several hours to complete as it involved finding loads of micros all over a large park area.

Edited by Firth of Forth
This cache called Lynn dadgum Frustration (middle word isnt actually that!) might be similar to what you are proposing. I believe (as I haven't done it but saw some weary finders in the pub afterwards) that it is very frustrating and takes several hours to complete as it involved finding loads of micros all over a large park area.

That is a sort of multi with puzzles (that make it a mystery cache). It only counts as one find when you eventually find it :ph34r: .

Talking of Woodsmoke's series, is it current? Personally, as somone who often has to visit Portsmouth for a few hours at a time, I find the series extremly irritating. None of the caches can be found without finding the previous ones, and I have never had time to get to the origin - which appears to be disabled for over a year. At least one other in the series has been disabled as it has not been found since August 2004.

Therefore, any search for caches in Portsmouth produces loads of caches that can't be done except as part of the series, which appears broken, and tends to crowd out the other caches.

I mention this, firstly in the hope that the series can be updated and repaired to make it clear it is completable. It does look an interesting series, and I would like to try it, but find I am put off by the probability, based on last finds etc, that the series cannot be done at present.

I've done some of it - I don't know what has happened to it now though, although Woodsmoke doesn't seem to have the profile he used to so maybe his circumstances have changed.

You've all given me some great ideas for my mega series! I've managed to tweak my idea to make it work - i'll let you all know when i've set it up and maybe someone would come and try it out!

Just need a unique theme now - could take a while me thinks. :ph34r:

Thanks again everyone.