Jeremy! "average Finds"!

zac59410

Jeremy- It would be kinda cool, if on everyone's "Profile Page" it showed an "AVERAGE" of "Terrain" & "Difficulty" of ALL the cache's that a person had found!!!!

It would show up on "YOUR ACCOUNT" page...an Average of all the caches "You" had found, for Terrain & Difficulty...

Just an idea....I think it would be neat...

Justin of "zac59410"....

Jeremy- It would be kinda cool, if on everyone's "Profile Page" it showed an "AVERAGE" of "Terrain" & "Difficulty" of ALL the cache's that a person had found!!!!

It would show up on "YOUR ACCOUNT" page...an Average of all the caches "You" had found, for Terrain & Difficulty...

Just an idea....I think it would be neat...

Justin of "zac59410"....

Why?

Whether all my cache finds are 1/1, 5/5 or combination thereof is not your business. If you MUST know, browse through my finds list and calculate it manually. :lol:

Edited by WH

The other problem is that a cache in one area is going to be rated entirely different than one in another one. Most people around here find that the cache rating system linked to off to submit page gives results that they wouldn't expect, so they don't use it, and instead rate the cache relative to others in the area.

There's no reason you can't keep that information in your own private database; I do. But it is only there for me, not to compare with others! After geocaching for a few years, I have found the competition-type statistics are contrary to the spirit of geocaching. IMO, of course.

Yeah, what exactly will that information tell you? While I admit that it was interesting to calculate my average difficulty/terrain of my own caches recently, I don't really care what yours are, and I don't really care for everyone to be able to see this information.

If it matters that much to you, feel free to go through each one of my finds and do the math on your own time. I'd much rather Jeremy and his colleagues spend their time on any of the more useful upgrades to the site that have been discussed in the past.

People with high find counts would tend to have low averages for terrain and difficulty, just because there are so many more of them.

Exactly!

I don't really see what it would tell someone unless they looked at each find anyway.

I probably have dozens of finds over a 5 terrain, but my avg is still low. Someone with only 10 finds might do one hard one and have a higher average.

I did a Terrain 5 cache once that was 400 feet from the 2-wheel drive road. Apparently the cache owner thought you needed a 4-WD vehicle to find the cache . . . when two feet worked just fine.

Besides the rating system having faults, I don't see the point . . . :D