Maaan...my 600 Keeps Locking

BoomerFZ1

I just started playing with my new 600 and just for no reason it either lockes when attempting to load the basemap or it'll switch back to the satellite screen and start searching for sats again. This is really driving me crazy...did I get a lemon or is there something that can be done?

also from my experience it only locks up after the transfer has completed so after you recover from the freeze you should notice the transfer has completed, but beware that you might experience major item #2 or #3 . Aways upload maps to your SD card because if you corrupt a map file thats transfered to the internal memory you will probably have to send your unit back to magellan to restore it.

I am trying to make as much noise as I can and I am emailing every magellan rep I get in contact with. Hopefully they will get the message that there are problems that need addressing right now not 12 months down the road.

I am sorry that you had to find out of these problem after your purchase. I just started the buglist post because everyone was complaining but there was no place to centralize our issues.

Goodluck

Well I'm on hold with tech support and I fear I'm going to have to send this unit back. I've done the reset, took the battery out for a lengthy time with no success. I will get in some butt here while I'm on the phone. I didn't purchase a GPS to turn around and send it right off to magellan. I did a very exhaustive bunch of research when trying to decide what unit to purchase (I must posted over a half-dozen questions here) and at no time did anyone mention these issues to me. Kinda sucks when you think you've done your homework only to discover you've purchased a lemon. I will get a Garmin or Lowrance next payday and I'll never purchase a Megellan product again.

well its your decision and I understand fully, I paid 600$ canadian for mine. So you can understand that I am very eager for some movement by magellan to address these issues.

One thing one have to consider is the major items in the list only happen during usb transfers and once your done your done and you can use your GPS. The minor items in the list mostly have "workarounds" but they are not fixes and are only intended to get around of the issues so that you can use your GPS. Still its unacceptable and Magellan HAS to fix them.

As far as hardware goes I believe the hardware has much potiential if only if the major and minor issues would be resolved or at least acknowledged that they are working on them. I need a GPS with SD card capabilities and god forbid if GARMIN comes out with one as I am tired of waiting for action.

Well I'm on hold with tech support and I fear I'm going to have to send this unit back. I've done the reset, took the battery out for a lengthy time with no success. I will get in some butt here while I'm on the phone. I didn't purchase a GPS to turn around and send it right off to magellan. I did a very exhaustive bunch of research when trying to decide what unit to purchase (I must posted over a half-dozen questions here) and at no time did anyone mention these issues to me. Kinda sucks when you think you've done your homework only to discover you've purchased a lemon. I will get a Garmin or Lowrance next payday and I'll never purchase a Megellan product again.

Well be prepared to wait awhile I waited twice 90 minutes then I hung up. I used there option to have them call you back. They usually do within 3 to 4 hours

Let us know what he says. Be prepared to hear that it is the first time they hear about his issue. then givve him the link to the buglist thread.

What I would have to say is that barring the memory limitations, the map76C without the sensors is the best way to go, with longer battery life and a simple to operate unit that is fun to use even in a boat with blue chart, for which the Explorist can't use at all. The map76C has 115 megs memory, and floats better in the water when thrown in the water by accident.

The Explorist 500 or 600 are nice, but not as bug free as a Meridian Platinum, for which I had that unit. Health problems caused me to sell the Meridian Platinum, and get the map60C which is very functional but easier for me to use.

Ultra compact GPS units just are not the way to go like the Etrexes, or any other small unit, for which I had a ton of problems with the Vista.

Heres what to do:

Downgrade to an Explorist 500, Meridian Platinum, or get the more expensive map76C GPS. If you are already stuck with the software, you can go the route of the Platinum or Exp 500.

Hopefully Magellan will repair their sinking ship that has a big hole in the support department, before they go under.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Man I just dropped over $500 on this think including memory card, handlebar mount and software. If I have to send this piece of junk back to Magellan for several weeks you can bet there's no way I'll ever purchase another unit from them again. Even if I am able to return the unit, I still have the software and mount I'm stuck with...the memory I could use for something I'm sure...which I'd probably sell on eBay for a major loss. So in essence, I've blown $500, got a unit that doesn't work, probably won't work anytime soon, and even when it does work again could break down with just a simple mistake!!! What the heck are they doin' at Magellan quality control...or do they have a quality control? I can't tell you how upset I am right now!!!

Man I just dropped over $500 on this think including memory card, handlebar mount and software. If I have to send this piece of junk back to Magellan for several weeks you can bet there's no way I'll ever purchase another unit from them again. Even if I am able to return the unit, I still have the software and mount I'm stuck with...the memory I could use for something I'm sure...which I'd probably sell on eBay for a major loss. So in essence, I've blown $500, got a unit that doesn't work, probably won't work anytime soon, and even when it does work again could break down with just a simple mistake!!! What the heck are they doin' at Magellan quality control...or do they have a quality control? I can't tell you how upset I am right now!!!

I feel your pain my friend, lets hope you are able to get yours working. Like JohnnyVegas said, You are using the conversion manager right? because you can't use map regions directly from the mapsend program you have to save them to disk then use the conversion manager to convert and transfer them to the GPS.

You should be able to transfer maps to the GPS regardless of the odd freeze now and than. The USB freeze is not supposed to be permanant. if you didnt use the conversion manager to transfer your maps, hopefully you you transfered them to your SD card. That way I think you can just remove your SD card and start the Unit that way and use a card reader to delete the maps.

Let us know how you make out with tech support. Be sure to mention the issues in the list that are pertaining to you.

I just spoke with Tech Support and they had me do a hard reboot (goto+out+power). I took it outside and it's still lockin' up when attempting to load the base map. I took the SD card out and did anohter hard reboot and, again, it just locked up loading the freakin' base map. I gotta assume that with all the happy eXplorist user's I've heard from when buying this unit, it's just a problem with this particular one. I'm going to ship it back to Harmony computers for an exchange and cross my fingers that all will turn out fine. I don't wanna eat all the money I've spent on accessories for this sucker.

That said...when I get my new one what should I AVOID doing to ensure this doesn't happen again??????? I did use the map convert function that came with the unit and I used the geocaching tool to upload my file from a pocket query. I am using Topo 3d and DirectRoute NA. I did load an extremely large region in the unit at first which is when it started goofin' up. Perhaps that's what caused it. I'm going to keep my regions small, use a card reader and use this thing with kiddie fingers since I'm freakin' stuck with it.

USB lock up is a known issue I doubt returning it will resolve your problem. Your not the only one here experiencing problems with USB lockups but that your not able to upload a detailed map to your SD card is odd.

Things to avoid is to not upload maps to the internal memory of the GPS.

that sucks... i remember all the threads you created on here looking for advice on a good GPS. Cant help but laugh a little that you got the shaft from magellan.

seems a lot of people here like the gps 60's. I think you made a good choice this time. If THAT dies, then its time to get serious and graduate to Lowrance. They never lock up... the toyota of GPS's. :D

Good luck with the new one :o

You won't regret that decision. I recently upgraded to the Vista C, but my friend has the 60CS. You should see us caching together.

One of us has our GPSr set to On Road navigation, the other has it set to the distance arrow (Off Road).

Over the past two days, we found more than 30 caches. :o

I love the Geocache function that automatically goes to the next nearest when you push the "Found" button for the cache you are at.

You will love the 60CS . . . :D

I sent my eXplorist 600 to Magellan (Thales) because of these problems and made them send me a new one. I just got the new one today, and if this one has the same problems, I will send it back and demand a full refund.

These issues are absolutely unacceptable and are not something that I am about to sit around and wait for a firmware update to fix. :o

I've said it many times on these boards.... GPSr users are FAR too forgiving. While I very much appreciate the likes of DOT-COM coming up with a list to shove in Magellan's face, and while I sincerely hope that Magellan responds with better products and quicker firmware updates, I believe that the only thing that TRULY speaks to these companies is money-- they slack because they know you only have 2 or 3 choices. When GPSr users refuse to buy the products until they perform up to par and SEND THEM BACK if they don't, we will begin see a change in how the manufacturers operate.

Now, having said all this, we shall see if the new unit is up to snuff and not YET another lemon.... :D

Edited by some_guy
he mentioned in a later thread that he was returning it to harmony computers

Oops. Missed that.

I got mine from Harmony too. It was really bad. Not just freezes during USB connection. But totally random like th OP seems to be experiencing.

Haven't taken my replacement out yet, but could there be a reason why Harmony is selling these things so cheap?

Seems like Harmony is just sending out RETURNED units out to people as NEW, instead of sending all RETURNED units back to Magellan. These units could have been dropped, cable hooked up wrong, batteries put in backwards or really abused by some customer, then returned to Harmony Computers, then they do a quick test on it an then send it back out as NEW again.

These Explorist sound like they are no more rugged than the Garmin Emap were. The Emap was a pretty fragile unit, and they had an optional rubber skin you could buy for $20 that made it a little better, but that still did not make the Emap water proof.

The Explorist are very fragile and unforgiving if you make a mistake with connecting the cable up wrong, by not mounting the cable to the unit first before hooking up to POWER.

The Explorist is not exactly very a rugged unit as in the light weight of the units:

Weight: 5.4 oz. (with batteries)

Weight: 4.1 oz. (without batteries)

There needs to be a rubber Pull-on skin to protect the Explorist units like with the Emaps.

- - - - - - - - -

My Experience:

I had the Magellan 4000XL 12Ch, ColorTrak, GPS 315, Meridian Platinum, and now the ST color.

The 4000XL and ColorTrak both had horrible case designs, where the 4000XL had a very poor battery Door that would fall off the bottom of the unit when bumped, and the Early ColorTraks all had broken insides where the keypads were all fallen-in, leaving them all exposed to easy water entry.

The Meridians were the best Magellans built, like my Platinum, except that they forgot to make a hole for a wrist strap on the meridian's.

MY feeling is that ALL GPS UNITS have defects, and they take time to iron them out.

Only GOD can make a better GPS, that is perfect, but it would run on faith, and it would be called the Liahona GPS, like the pointing device talked about in a book that was around since 1830

I did purchase it at harmony computers and I'm definitely going with a well known, reputable dealer this time. I like a deal and all but I'd rather get a unit that works the first time better. Hey some guy...I totally agree with you. And you can be sure when I find anyone looking for a new unit, I'll steer 'em away from the ex600 until I hear they've actually gotton off their butts and done something about these issues. Keep us posted on your unit, huh?

Edited by BoomerFZ1
I just started playing with my new 600 and just for no reason it either lockes when attempting to load the basemap or it'll switch back to the satellite screen and start searching for sats again. This is really driving me crazy...did I get a lemon or is there something that can be done?

Its a Magellan.

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Well Vagabond...you're lucky. I might have gotten a bad unit but I still don't like all the issues in that other thread. I know the 60cs only has 56mb of internal memory and no expandibility but that's something I can live with...the issues I've read about in that thread, I definitely can't deal with.

Edited by BoomerFZ1