Gpsr For A New Geocacher

Well this isn't for me, I already have a Magellan SporTrak that I'm pretty happy with and I've been using the MapSend Topo software with mostly success. I'm posting for a friend of mine who has decided to get her dad a GPSr for his birthday. Since Im the one who got him hooked on geocaching, I thought it was only fair to help :) Anyway, I'm looking for something relatively simple to use that is pretty accurate. He spends most of his time in the mountains so something that will load topos is a must. Also something that won't break easily would be good :) Color screen isn't necessary, it's more important to be easily viewable in sunlight. As far as price goes I'm looking for $250 or less. Bells and whistles are good but not necessary. While I only have experience with Magellan handhelds, I have used Garmin's Marine Chartplotters pretty extensively so I'm not really picky as far as brand goes. Since I already have the Magellan software and could load maps for him that might be a plus. So, anyway, suggestions would be appreciated. Like I said I'm only familiar with the Magellan brand and that being the case I was leaning towards the SporTrak Topo/Pro (any thoughts on main differences?) or the Meridian Platinum. Like I said though, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Patrick

If you're looking for a tough durable GPSr that has good mapping ability check out the Lowrance iFinder H2O Lowrance has some of the best TOPO mapping detail in the industry. And you can either use Mapcreate TOPO software to create custom maps on PC, or just pop in a FreedomMap TOPO MMC/SD memory chip to instantly have all the map coverage in your area without need for any computer intervention. It's antenna is one of the best in the industry as well!

If you want to really hit the ground running you can consider the iFinder H2O "Plus" package that includes the PC software as well as a memory chip. The whole package is just $268 at that link but you can shop around maybe a better deal is elsewhere :)

Edited by IVxIV

IVxIV: Thanks for the info on the Lowrance. A few other questions, how's the performance of the unit overall as far as getting a lock, number of buttons needing to be pushed for a days geocaching, quality and detail of topo maps? That's one thing that I feel that magellan's software lacks is really good quality topos. Thanks again.

Patrick

IVxIV, one of the resident Lowrance experts, will respond about the quality of Lowrance topo software. I just wanted to note that while I agree the old MapSend Topo had some serious shortcomings, the newer MapSend Topo3D is (in the eye of this beholder) pretty good for GPS use.

Edited by embra
how's the performance of the unit overall as far as getting a lock, number of buttons needing to be pushed for a days geocaching, quality and detail of topo maps?

I've been using an iFinder Pro for the last couple years, which is the predecessor to the H2O. My GPSr's performance has been outstanding, it has never let me down yet. The iFinders has dual processors and an outstanding capable antenna & recevier, the thing can go from 0-to-satellite-lock quite often in under 30 seconds, in the middle of my livingroom! Signal under treecover has not been a problem for me, and no boomerang effect detected.

I've been using the FreedomMaps streets mapping software in my Pro, and the detail and level of POI's is very rich. I've just heard excellent reviews about the TOPO software quality, perhaps if Briansnat would like to elaborate on that he would be more qualified, Brian wrote a review of the H2O for Todays Cacher magazine.

If there was a darker side to the iFinders, it's been described as a feature rich GPSr, meaning the number of layers of command keystrokes leaves some a bit confused. I've found the learning curve to be relatively straightforward, but the iFinders are best learned by reading the manual thouroughly and not just running out the door & figureing it out on the fly. There is an "easy mode" option that eliminates 50% of user screens & options, which is a cute way of getting your feet wet with the unit.

Any more questions, just ask! :rolleyes:

IVxIV:  Thanks for the info on the Lowrance.  A few other questions, how's the performance of the unit overall as far as getting a lock, number of buttons needing to be pushed for a days geocaching, quality and detail of topo maps?  That's one thing that I feel that magellan's software lacks is really good quality topos.  Thanks again.

Patrick

I used the iFinder H20 for a few months. It is an excellent GPS and with the Mapcreate Topo software, a great unit for use in the mountains. The detail of the maps is far better than Gargellan's and the display way better than Magellan and at least the equal of Garmin. The H2O's reception and accuracy are outstanding. Its a bit more difficult to use than the Gargellan units, but anyone with half a brain can figure it out. It also has a "beginner mode" for the technically challenged.

See my review in the latest issue of www.todayscacher.com

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for all the help guys...I think the Lowrance in the way to go, course I'm sure I'm gonna like it too much and have to get one for myself...so thanks for inspiring me to spend money :D Oh well, I guess that's what I get for always getting myself into potentially expensive hobbies :o

Patrick