Cheapest Place For A 60c In The Uk?

where is the best place to get a garmin gpsmap 60c in the uk?

also, to clarify does it come pre loaded with street level maps of the whole of the UK, with road names etc? and then there is the 56meg on top to add more detail such as from city select.

and the only difference between the 60c and 60cs is the compass and barometer.

can both still be used for autorouting with city select as a in car at nav?

cheers

No the base map that is on the unit is nowhere near as detailed as the mapsource products, I have the one with the compass and barometer and it is capable of autorouting but I am too tight to part with the big money required to get the correct maps for this. I believe each genuine copy of the software can be unlocked for 2 separate gps units.

I was looking only today and did a comparison search through Kelkoo.co.uk - Amazon came up trumps at £179.99 - the ones on Ebay were much more on Buy Now - we decided against the Maps!!! and bought the plain old 60 today also from Amazon. GL with your search - hope this helps :)

i am assuming you misread my post. im after a 60C, the colour one, i think at £179 you must be meaning the map 60 black and white.

No the base map that is on the unit is nowhere near as detailed as the mapsource products, I have the one with the compass and barometer and it is capable of autorouting but I am too tight to part with the big money required to get the correct maps for this. I believe each genuine copy of the software can be unlocked for 2 separate gps units.

but it does have a real babesmap with road names etc? as my friends black and white map 60 had virtually no details until he loaded mapping software.

also, does anyone know why metroguide should not be used with the 60C?

am assuming you misread my post. im after a 60C, the colour one, i think at £179 you must be meaning the map 60 black and white.

Yes I did miss read - sorry - ok Amazon are £399. Lucky you if you get one of these - as I said before we decided to stick with paper maps and the compass along side with the b/w 60! As we are only beginners at the moment - paper maps are cheaper than software and we already own the one of our area.

Good luck with the hunt for the best price!!

am assuming you misread my post. im after a 60C, the colour one, i think at £179 you must be meaning the map 60 black and white.

Yes I did miss read - sorry - ok Amazon are £399. Lucky you if you get one of these - as I said before we decided to stick with paper maps and the compass along side with the b/w 60! As we are only beginners at the moment - paper maps are cheaper than software and we already own the one of our area.

Good luck with the hunt for the best price!!

yeh i wont use it to replace papers maps in the field. the mapping part i will use

for in car nav. there arnt many good topographical maps for the uk yet.

ive got a 60 black and white at the mo. you wont be dissapointed, its great.

its just i want road mapping.

but it does have a real babesmap with road names etc? as my friends black and white map 60 had virtually no details until he loaded mapping software.

mine is an american model so it had the usa basemap not the european model. The detail doesnt appear to be that good, I expect that it would be main routes only no minor roads or streets. I think it is metroguide software that I have and it works, dont have the autoroute facillity though.

Edited by Naefearjustbeer

mine is an american model so it had the usa basemap not the european model. The detail doesnt appear to be that good, I expect that it would be main routes only no minor roads or streets

ah, thats why then.

after more reading up the euro model does have minor roads and road names etc.

its just it wont auto route with city select software.

I managed to get a superb deal on ebay for a 60c - £205

But... You will need to budget for mapsource software. You can get City Select for around 130 or city navagator for around 90.

City Select will cope with autorouting in the car whereas the other title has the same detail but wont / cant autoroute.

Mine came with a european basemap. I used this on holiday in France with varying degrees of success but bought City Select as soon as I got back.

There are some topographical maps which you can download for free and they seem to work OK but I have yet to work out how to download these and mapsource maps at the same time - would be good !

This is a really great peice of kit but dont forget to budget for the extras.

Neither the GPSMap 60C nor the GPSMap 60CS arrive with street maps. The base map they contain is of little use. It can guide you between cities and towns, but not to the part of town to which you want to go! Without paying extra (a lot extra) for the street maps, I think it is not a good idea to buy either model. Without street maps, better to get a cheaper GPSr.

If you choose to pay the extra for the City Select Europe street maps, you get a superb GPSr with turn-by-turn road navigation instructions. Miss a turn, or just choose to ignore it, and the GPSr simply re-calculates a new route.

The road/street maps for the UK are excellent. It knows a lot of tiny roads that sensible (or stupid) Land Rover drivers wouldn't use. The latest version of software allows you to mark such roads or areas as not existing, so that the auto-navigation won't take you there. If you live in an area with some of these tiny roads, when you get directed down undrivable roads, you need to waymark them and later mark them as not existing.

With European City Select maps, the accuracy of the location of the roads and streets in the UK is very high. The accuracy for railway lines and rivers is approximate. When geocaching next to a river, it will sometimes show you to be in the middle of the wet stuff.

The street maps for other European countries are as good as are available on paper maps of the country, so they aren't wonderful for e.g. Spain. Gibraltar hasn't got any roads at all, according to the GPSr. It isn't too far wrong about that.

There are no normal topographical OS maps available which can be uploaded to the GPSMap 60C or 60CS. You won't be able to see footpaths, bridleways, small bridges, streams etc. You can get free contour maps of the UK along with all Ordnance Survey trig points, so that does give a good map picture for off-road walking and geocaching. If you plan a walk or geocaching trip, you can use paper maps or other maps to enter footpaths and small bridges as part of your route.

The battery life is very long. If you drive to a geocache using auto-routing and powering the GPSr from the car's cigarette lighter socket, you may still have 25 to 30 hours of battery life in your GPSr when you leave the car.

A cheapish source of the GPSMap 60C is here and the automotive navigation accessory pack (car mounting bracket, 12V cigarette lighter cable and European City Select map CD) is there

I don't think that the CS model is worth the extra money. The GPSMap 60C with the street maps is an excellent device, but expensive. A friend has just bought a palm sized computer with OS maps and a radio-linked GPSr. He hasn't got auto-routing and has a battery life of 3 hours.

Neither the GPSMap 60C nor the GPSMap 60CS arrive with street maps. The base map they contain is of little use. It can guide you between cities and towns, but not to the part of town to which you want to go! Without paying extra (a lot extra) for the street maps, I think it is not a good idea to buy either model. Without street maps, better to get a cheaper GPSr.

If you choose to pay the extra for the City Select Europe street maps, you get a superb GPSr with turn-by-turn road navigation instructions. Miss a turn, or just choose to ignore it, and the GPSr simply re-calculates a new route.

The road/street maps for the UK are excellent. It knows a lot of tiny roads that sensible (or stupid) Land Rover drivers wouldn't use. The latest version of software allows you to mark such roads or areas as not existing, so that the auto-navigation won't take you there. If you live in an area with some of these tiny roads, when you get directed down undrivable roads, you need to waymark them and later mark them as not existing.

With European City Select maps, the accuracy of the location of the roads and streets in the UK is very high. The accuracy for railway lines and rivers is approximate. When geocaching next to a river, it will sometimes show you to be in the middle of the wet stuff.

The street maps for other European countries are as good as are available on paper maps of the country, so they aren't wonderful for e.g. Spain. Gibraltar hasn't got any roads at all, according to the GPSr. It isn't too far wrong about that.

There are no normal topographical OS maps available which can be uploaded to the GPSMap 60C or 60CS. You won't be able to see footpaths, bridleways, small bridges, streams etc. You can get free contour maps of the UK along with all Ordnance Survey trig points, so that does give a good map picture for off-road walking and geocaching. If you plan a walk or geocaching trip, you can use paper maps or other maps to enter footpaths and small bridges as part of your route.

The battery life is very long. If you drive to a geocache using auto-routing and powering the GPSr from the car's cigarette lighter socket, you may still have 25 to 30 hours of battery life in your GPSr when you leave the car.

A cheapish source of the GPSMap 60C is here and the automotive navigation accessory pack (car mounting bracket, 12V cigarette lighter cable and European City Select map CD) is there

I don't think that the CS model is worth the extra money. The GPSMap 60C with the street maps is an excellent device, but expensive. A friend has just bought a palm sized computer with OS maps and a radio-linked GPSr. He hasn't got auto-routing and has a battery life of 3 hours.

thank you for the excellent reply.

just one question why wont metroguide work with the 60c?

ive got metroguide 7, as my father in law bought it and uses it with his gpsmap 60 black and white.

the contour maps seem exceelent to me, as i find with my current gps60 when geo caching using papers maps i have to keep changed datums to check my posistion, ie os grid for the map, then back to lat lon for the cache.

with contour maps showing on the gps i could check my posistion easily against the real paper map.

Metroguide maps will upload to the GPSMap 60C. They will show on the display. You can see where you are if you are on a road. The auto-navigation won't work. No instructions such as turn right in 0.6 miles. You have to work out your route yourself instead of the magic box doing all of the work.

just one question why wont metroguide work with the 60c?

Who says that it doesn't work?

If you read one of the replies earlier you will see that someone uses a 60CS with Metroguide and I know of others who do.

-

if you look on www.gloabalposistioningsystems.co.uk they say it wont work with metroguide.

obviously from what your saying it will work, just not as well as city select.

they say it wont work so that you shell out the extra cash for the more expensive product. The unit is capable of auto-routing but it cannot do this with metroguide. If you dont want/afford/need auto routing get metroguide. I can assure you I have used this product with no problems in my 60cs. If you want auto-routing you need to get the more expensive city select. I also believe that the city select maps are larger(more info required for the auto routing) and you are not able to put as large a geographical area onto the gps. City select is also tied to 2 gps units using unlock codes, Metroguide is not tied to 2 units so if you have 3 gps units or more that are map capable you can use on copy for all , I have a friend who has several gps units and was not best pleased when he couldnt use his city select on his new 60cs as he had already used up the 2 unlock codes. He contacted garmin to ask if he could buy an extra unlock code but they dont do that, he would have to buy another copy of the full product.

Edited by Naefearjustbeer
they say it wont work so that you shell out the extra cash for the more expensive product. The unit is capable of auto-routing but it cannot do this with metroguide. If you dont want/afford/need auto routing get metroguide. I can assure you I have used this product with no problems in my 60cs. If you want auto-routing you need to get the more expensive city select. I also believe that the city select maps are larger(more info required for the auto routing) and you are not able to put as large a geographical area onto the gps.

ok, thnaks, i already have metroguide 7.

sTeamTraen, did you have to pay tax on your purchases from aspidshop?

sTeamTraen, did you have to pay tax on your purchases from aspidshop?

No, because they are in the evil European Union, just like the UK (last time I checked, anyway). So no import duty etc. They may or may not have charged me French-rate VAT rather than Portuguese rate - the rules about cross-border mail order VAT seem to be complex - but in any case all that is sorted for you by the online order form. My card was debited with exactly the amount it said on the form.

A slightly cheaper alternative, which aspidshop's site alludes to, is to get a US model. Here, however, you might or might not end up paying VAT, duty, duty collection charges, etc. Also, I'm not sure how Garmin Europe feels about warranty issues. But their main argument - the US base map - isn't a major problem, because as pointed out above, the base map is pretty useless anyway.

He contacted garmin to ask if he could buy an extra unlock code but they dont do that, he would have to buy another copy of the full product.

Sorry, Donny, but I think you'll find that they do :)

Quote from Garmin's web site:-

An unlocked region is tied to a specific GPS unit, and the corresponding unlock code will not work with another GPS unit. Since separate unlock codes are required for each unit, you will need to complete the unlock process again for your second unit. To do this, simply go through the unlock process and choose the "Unlock Additional Garmin Unit" selection.

If you have already used your unlock code twice, please go through the procedure for purchasing additional unlock codes.

:rolleyes:

I bought my 60C from Global Positioning Systems, excellent service, didn't pay for the overnight delivery service. Received unit via City Link, (which you can track) in two days. Brilliant GPS don't need the 60CS

yeh, but not exactly cheap.

bought a few things from them, but hoping to get the 60c for a bit less than their prices.