Explorist Needs A Screen

Our Explorist 300 got dropped last night and the screen's got three nasty cracks in it so it's toast. Anyone have any experience with this? The unit's only 2 months old but I'm doubting they'll cover it under warranty since we dropped it. I'm wondering what'll cost to get the screen replaced and how long it'll take. I've been on hold to talk to a Magellan tech for a total of 2 hours so far and been disconnected about 12 times so I figured I'd post here whilst I'm waiting.

From their website:

Rugged construction

Rubber armored, impact resistant plastic lets you to confidently take your eXplorist 600 on every adventure.

Warranty

We pride ourselves on building rugged and reliable navigation products that you can depend on, backed by a full one-year warranty in North America (2 years in Europe).

If I had dropped a few hundred clams on one of their units that they describe as "rugged" and "impact resistant" and "reliable" only to have it break in the first two months after being dropped, I would demand a replacement.

But, I would ask nicely and hope that they didn't keep me on hold forever playing "Enya."

I had to get the protective plastic screen replaced on my 600 because of a nasty scratch. It was $45 plus $6 shipping. They replaced the entire unit. I wish I had my old one back

Why do you wish you had your old one back? Was the replacement defective?

We FINALLY GOT TO TALK TO A TECH!!! Woohoooo!

We found out nothing. After five hours of being on hold. We have to send it to them, and they will call us with a decision as to warranty coverage and/or cost of repair.

I suspect that if we have to replace this one, we will be replacing it with a Garmin.

Why do you wish you had your old one back? Was the replacement defective?

The new one I got seems a bit flaky. I have to reset it about once a week and the battery will never go to full charge. I have contacted them about it. Only took 2 weeks for them to respond to my email.....still beats 4 hours on Enya. I also asked about a firmware upgrade...They didnt give any indication as to when. I suspect my next one will be a Garmin or Lowrance

I suspect that if we have to replace this one, we will be replacing it with a Garmin.

As good as Garmin's customer support is, don't expect them to replace the screen of a user damaged unit for free (though they did for me).

Garmin also has a flat rate for non warranty repairs. Its the same if you need a little glue job on your eTrex's gasket as it is if you run it over with your car. Very annoying in the former case.

You won't however have to wait 4 hours on hold listening to Enya.

You won't however have to wait 4 hours on hold listening to Enya.

My point exactly. We accept reponsibility for breaking it, I don't actually expect them to honor the warranty since we did drop it on a sharpish piece of metal. It's tough, but no unit is that tough. It's all about the customer service with us. The 5 hours (it was five hours, I am not giving up that extra hour, it was HELL, I tell you! My poor husband was barely conscious and drooling when I rescued him from Hold Hell), was absolutely unreasonable. They can still redeem themselves, but if we have to replace it, we will probably go with a Garmin solely because of those five hours.

From their website:

Rugged construction

Rubber armored, impact resistant plastic lets you to confidently take your eXplorist 600 on every adventure.

Warranty

We pride ourselves on building rugged and reliable navigation products that you can depend on, backed by a full one-year warranty in North America (2 years in Europe).

If I had dropped a few hundred clams on one of their units that they describe as "rugged" and "impact resistant" and "reliable" only to have it break in the first two months after being dropped, I would demand a replacement.

But, I would ask nicely and hope that they didn't keep me on hold forever playing "Enya."

Don't go dissing them that hard. I have a Meridian Platinum. This thing has taken a tumble off the top of my Jeep at 30MPH with nary more than a scratch on the armor rubber. It filled up with water after the gasket wore out and dried up nicely. It's taken bumps and scrapes for the past shy of 3 years that would normally beat up an electronic device and has survived it all. As a self-proclaimed klutz, I can appreciate the ruggedness of this device.

I have never been on hold with Magellans tec support that long. The most I have done is maybe 15-20 minutes, But I always call right when they open for bussiness for the day. With most companies that is your best bet. While I was in the outdoors recreation bussiness I found this was the best way to get to any tec support. Over the years of dealing with Magellan and Garmin and have found their tec support to be about the same when it comes to picking up the phone. They can both be good or they can both really suck.

You should have hung up and called back, with most companies if you do not make a selection from their voice jail a real person will pick up the line. Then just tell them that know one is answering the phone at tec support.

Okay, here's an update on our Explorist unit:

We shipped it out to Magellan 2 weeks ago, (the day we were on hold for five hours), and we hadn't heard a word from them. Yesterday, we received it back in the mail, no calls or anything.

They fixed the screen for us, gratis. We did not expect that damage to be covered, but it was.

Even if they had not covered the damage, Magellan scored major points with us. :lol:

They repaired it quickly, and did it right. They have vindicated themselves.

We shall remain customers. It's so good to have our GPS back. :laughing: