"not Family Friendly"

We are not in the UK, so forgive me for butting in, I usually have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. :rolleyes:

We did this cache and found out later from a police friend that this is a popular gay rendevous point. We ran into some of the, er, locals, and witnessed a drug deal. Fortunately, there was no hot monkey lovin' going on at that very moment, but I think it was a good thing we left when we did. I am glad we got out of there unscathed. We did find our first White Jeep, so it was worth it. :D

Well, at least SP has a warning on that cache, but it seems that dogging is almost as popular, if not more so than geocaching. A few times I have have driven into a car park only for all the single guys in their cars to look up and look interested, and also they have driven past my car and checked me at other caches. I am not especially offended by such doings, but it would put me off visiting that cache after dark...

... oh, and I confess I saved up doing 'Getting Wood' until I had company. In my log you can see I got a lovely piece of wood! :D

I can just picture a family, sat at a lovely location having a picnic. They witness 2 men and a woman walking past them and going into the bushes and fern, there is nowhere else to go, as it is a very short dead end. 30 minutes later the 3 people come back out, exhausted saying that was a hard one. ;)

The poor family pack up, and say I don't know what they were up to, but I am never coming back here again, this is not a family friendly place.

What they have actually witnessed is Myself, roolku & Firth of Forth out on one of our caching trips, and we had a long search for the cache. (scenario totally made up, but we do go out caching together).

Just because you seen 4 single men going for a walk together, and then when you finally rehid the cache and stood up, you realised 2 men were stood no more than 50 feet away, doesn't make them dodgy people, in fact they probably thought you were up to no good.

Don't get me wrong the place may be a place for unsavoury characters, but your log entry reads to me as though you were being slightly paranoid.

It may be worth checking out swingers and dogging sites before night caching.

Just a quick glance at the first on Google's list when I searched for -surrey dogging ockham- suggests that nearly every cache in Surrey that is within about ten miles of here is right on a dogging location.

My company's web browsing logging software would really like that! I can imagine the dismissal meeting now:

"So, Nick, you've been logging onto 'bigloveinthecarpark.com". can you explain yourself?"

"It's to avoid dogging spots whilst Geocaching"

"Geocaching? What's that?"

Just because ... when you finally rehid the cache and stood up, you realised 2 men were stood no more than 50 feet away, doesn't make them dodgy people, in fact they probably thought you were up to no good.

Believe me, the intensity with which they were examining each other's crotch area left little to the imagination, but I didn't want to leave the gory details in the log for posterity. Let's say that had they indeed been comparing GPSr devices, they would both have been highly polished by the time they'd finished. ;)

However, I agree with you about the general possibilities for misunderstanding. When I emerge from the woods with my wife we occasionally have a good chuckle at some of the looks we get.

I have a cache called 'Getting Wood' at a location called Cockshoots Wood. Bit of a dogging spot but the cache is hidden well away from the 'trouble' areas!

SP

oooh wheres that one to then :P:D:D:D May put it to the top of my "to do list" at night of course :D

Edited by Wadders
Just because ... when you finally rehid the cache and stood up, you realised 2 men were stood no more than 50 feet away, doesn't make them dodgy people, in fact they probably thought you were up to no good.

Believe me, the intensity with which they were examining each other's crotch area left little to the imagination, but I didn't want to leave the gory details in the log for posterity. Let's say that had they indeed been comparing GPSr devices, they would both have been highly polished by the time they'd finished. :D

However, I agree with you about the general possibilities for misunderstanding. When I emerge from the woods with my wife we occasionally have a good chuckle at some of the looks we get.

Nick is right, this is one of the major Surrey dogging areas. My poor hubby had the misfortune to have to wait in that area for me once (I was returning from France on a coach along the M25) and he got propositioned several times in the space of 10 minutes.

I have a friend who is a Sergeant with Surrey Police and tells me that one side of the A3 is for hetro and the other for homo (can't remember which way round!). Appartently its common practice to send new recruits up there to investigate the nocturnal goings on without warning them what to expect!!!

I hope it doesn't put people off going on this lovely common, you just need to enter from a different direction (oh err Mrs) and walk across the common.

I have a friend who is a Sergeant with Surrey Police and tells me that one side of the A3 is for hetro and the other for homo (can't remember which way round!).

like we would have believed you if you had said! :P

all these people who say they have this innocent knowledge of these practices and internet sites. :P