Etrex Vista Gps

clock98

Hi, Is there a way to turn off the barometric altimeter on the Garmin Etrex Vista GPS? I am getting faulty altitude readings because of the inside pressurised cabin. This will thro woff my true gps tracks by several miles if I can't get it updated. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

As far as I know, Garmin never furnished a selection for the altitude. The tracking always comes from the barometric reading, hense the incorrect readings due to cabin pressure.

The satellites will give you correct instantaneous altitude if you get the 4th satellite.

What I haven't tried is to calibrate the barometric reading to the satellite data. You calibrate on the altitude page. Try it and let us know what happens.

I calibrated the altimeter a couple of times on a recent flight. It got the correct altitude for that moment, but I had to recalibrate it again as we were descending.

The GPSr said we were still at 29,000 feet when I could almost read the road signs . . . :D

I calibrated the altimeter a couple of times on a recent flight. It got the correct altitude for that moment, but I had to recalibrate it again as we were descending.

The GPSr said we were still at 29,000 feet when I could almost read the road signs . . . :D

I guess using the Vista to land wouldn't be a good idea. Hmmm. Unless you had the window open. :D