Ok - I Did It! Jumped In With Both Feet!

WishOnAStar

I did it - bought the Garmin etrex Legend C last night. Now I just have to learn how to use it! And I need to get a good mapping software, right? I'm looking into that now...hope to be searching for my first cache later today!

No, you don't need mapping software. You'll do fine with what you have.

:) spooky but i got the Garmin legend yesterday too. . .and am really trying to learn how to use it. . .ugh! I already found my first cache Friday without one but only because I knew the area. I can't figure out how to get the computer to recognize it when I hook it up, after much research it seems I am missing "activesync" some down load from microsoft. . .ugh! But I am just hand entering for now trying to figure out how to use it. . .you gotta love us newbies! So any tips would be appreciated!

dykediva

Welcome to the club/sport/hobby/obsession guys! :)

I find the maps on the GPSr are very handy for getting "to the cache area" but after parking the car (don't forget to mark the cars coordinates!) the maps have served their purpose and now it's just a quest for the hidden container :)

However, TOPO maps might be useful for you for the entire journey especially if you're seeking out a challenging cache location.

I did it - bought the Garmin etrex Legend C last night.  Now I just have to learn how to use it!  And I need to get a good mapping software, right?  I'm looking into that now...hope to be searching for my first cache later today!

No, you don't need mapping software. You'll do fine with what you have.

You don't NEED it, but it makes your GPS far more useful. I have Mapsource Topo on all my mapping units and its useful to know if there is a stream, cliff, swamp, mountain, ravine or whatever between me and the cache. If you're going to use your unit mostly for geocaching and hiking, Topo might be a good choice.

Since your unit supports auto-routing, you may also want to consider City Select for it. Having turn by turn directions to any address is a nice feature. City Select will tell you where the nearest restaurant, beauty salon, post office, hotel, gas station, shopping mall, park, museum, etc... is AND tell you how to get there.

The 24 megs in the Legend is somewhat limiting so runing both on your unit might not be practical, but getting one or another is a good idea.

:anibad: spooky but i got the Garmin legend yesterday too. . .and am really trying to learn how to use it. . .ugh! I already found my first cache Friday without one but only because I knew the area. I can't figure out how to get the computer to recognize it when I hook it up, after much research it seems I am missing "activesync" some down load from microsoft. . .ugh! But I am just hand entering for now trying to figure out how to use it. . .you gotta love us newbies! So any tips would be appreciated!

dykediva

You should not need Activesync for the computer to recognize your legend. If it is the legend C then you just need to install the USB driver that is on the CD that came with it, and the Mapsource program too. Install the USB driver before connecting the GPSr then when you connect it will recognize and configure the driver.

:anibad: I guess I am just old fashioned having learned military grid coordinates to call for fire and also a hot meal at times.

I just find my way near to the objective and vector in using a digital compass and lat/long.

Of course, I only have a few finds and perhaps I will upgrade to using waypoints and stuff like that.

Google or Keyhole ( which I am stuck with on my notebook until I update the graphics card ) is also quite helpful. :anibad:

;) spooky but i got the Garmin legend yesterday too. . .and am really trying to learn how to use it. . .ugh!  I already found my first cache Friday without one but only because I knew the area.  I can't figure out how to get the computer to recognize it when I hook it up, after much research it seems I am missing "activesync" some down load from microsoft. . .ugh!  But I am just hand entering for now trying to figure out how to use it. . .you gotta love us newbies!  So any tips would be appreciated!

dykediva

You should not need Activesync for the computer to recognize your legend. If it is the legend C then you just need to install the USB driver that is on the CD that came with it, and the Mapsource program too. Install the USB driver before connecting the GPSr then when you connect it will recognize and configure the driver.

I did not get a CD with my Garmin. . .UGH! It did not appear to be tampered with. . .

Mine came with a cd and loading it into my computer was simple and easy - followed the directions and was able to download waypoints with no problem. Is your a Legend C? If so, you need to go back to the store where you purchased it and tell them you need the cd. It should also have come with the usb cord...

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00358-00

USB drivers for download from the Legend C update / download page.

I have a Legend C; I also bought Topo at the same time for caching... you certainly don't need extra maps , but it can make it easier / fun to use it for caching than the base map.

I wasn't going to use the Legend for routing but I ended up buying City Select NA ;) I probbbaly use City Select more now to get to the cache area, and then switch to topo for the actual find.

Edited by maingray