Quick .gpx-related Question

I was just wondering... Having spent what seems like an age (three days in reality, but it seems like ages!) running the queries to get all of the .GPX files for all of the UK caches, would I be breaking any rules in hosting them on my own website for others to download?

As a plus side, it would possibly reduce some of the strain on the GC.com servers, and allow people to get them more quickly. On the negative side, I realise that .GPX files are normally only available to registered members, and this would make them available to unregistered users.

So could Eckington or Lactodorum give me a bit of guidance please?? :unsure:

I could also stick up things like the excel spreadsheet that Kitmonster produced for our record-breaking Alchemy attempt - He plotted all 15 caches and worked out the most efficient route round them all. It also had a predicted schedule that was waaaaay of in terms of individual caches, but ultimately spot on in terms of total time. MattWaggie also informs me tonight that the video of the day is nearly finished, and I'll be sticking that up there very soon.

Cheers,

James

From the Waypoint License Agreement

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide unlicensed third parties access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement.

Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to unlicensed third parties.

So to make it available would break the terms and condition. and would get you shot with big bullets :unsure:

The spread sheet and the video would be fine though. Just not the GPX data

Edited by Deego

Agreed - otherwise I could sign up and pay (as I have) and just give the files to my offspring and co-workers (to use an Americanism).

Let them either download individual LOC files, key them in by hand or sign up!

We used to eat gravel and live in a shoe box on the road in my day!!

Suppose the thing which always puzzles us is why anyone would want to download all the caches? We downloaded a large number when we first started, but after a while we found we were looking for caches which had been archived, missing TBs, etc., and it was because we were using out of date info stored on our PC. Now we don't download anything until we plan a trip, unless it's short distance when we chance our arm with old info. It really is amazing how things can change in just a few hours in this game..

Suppose the thing which always puzzles us is why anyone would want to download all the caches? 
I only keep caches (and trigs) with in 100 miles from home, its only 5 PQ's and its rare I go further than that.

I like to keep it up to date, so if I am meeting another cacher for a trip I can filter out what they might have done.

Edited by Deego
Suppose the thing which always puzzles us is why anyone would want to download all the caches? We downloaded a large number when we first started, but after a while we found we were looking for caches which had been archived, missing TBs, etc., and it was because we were using out of date info stored on our PC. Now we don't download anything until we plan a trip, unless it's short distance when we chance our arm with old info. It really is amazing how things can change in just a few hours in this game..

Holiday planning

Trip planning to cache rich areas

Next year - looking for weekend camp sites near to cache rich areas.

If i was on the roads across the UK all the time (like some well known cachers) having the whole of the UK would make sense.

Keeping GSAK up to date is quite easy when you get used to it.