Logged Finds Numbers

:P Why are logged notes added to "Finds" on the cache pages? They are not and I would have thought, probably wrongly, that they would have been easy to separate out.

Thought you might like to see how beautiful New Zealand is. The photo is of Lake Rotoiti in the north of the South Island of New Zealand. One of many I took in that area while on a campervan holiday.

621245b2-9a6a-4f66-8994-3354781e8fde.jpg

I'm not clear exactly what you are asking.

Are you asking about this notation on the Cache Page: Logged Visits (10 total. )

In this particular case it comprises (1) TB Dropoff, (4) DNF's, (1) Note, (1) Disabled, (1) Enabled, and (2) Finds in that order = 10 Logged Visits.

Are you asking why it doesn't just say (2) Finds?

Don't recall anyone asking this question in the year plus I've been lurking around here. But, if I have interpreted your question correctly, a MOD should probably move this to the Geocaching.com Web Site Forum. That would be the best chance to get it noticed by TPTB.

P.S. Nice Photo

I'm not clear exactly what you are asking.

Are you asking about this notation on the Cache Page: Logged Visits (10 total. )

In this particular case it comprises (1) TB Dropoff, (4) DNF's, (1) Note, (1) Disabled, (1) Enabled, and (2) Finds in that order = 10 Logged Visits.

Are you asking why it doesn't just say (2) Finds?

Don't recall anyone asking this question in the year plus I've been lurking around here. But, if I have interpreted your question correctly, a MOD should probably move this to the Geocaching.com Web Site Forum. That would be the best chance to get it noticed by TPTB.

P.S. Nice Photo

That's exactly what I mean. I agree that notes serve a useful purpose, but having them count as finds I find misleading. :P

That's exactly what I mean. I agree that notes serve a useful purpose, but having them count as finds I find misleading. :P

Hm. Never thought about it. But it doesn't say "finds" it says "visits" -- which is more or less accurate, unless somebody posts a note just to say Hi or something. If you're DNF'ing stuff without visiting the cache site, you've got a fundamental disconnect with the whole geocaching concept :P

Beautiful photo, anyhow.

Why do people post notes on the cache pages?

ANy number of reasons...To contact the owner about a ? or problem if the owner's email isn't working.

Maybe the person didn't find the cache, but something happened before the cache hunt was up, forcing them to abort the hunt. Can't log a find, a DNF isn't acturate cause they didn't actually SEARCH for the cache (and pride keeps them from logging DNF), but they want to say something about their attempt or condition of the area...That's a NOTE!

Also, to drop of TB ( if you have visited the cache before) requires a log. Can't mark "FOUND" cause you already found it before, can't mark "DNF" cause obviously you found it to place the bug in...That's a NOTE!

ANy number of reasons...

Today I posted a note to a webcam cache, because apparently you can't post a DNF to one. The monitoring site one uses to do the screen capture was down. I could've posted nothing at all, but I thought it was worth letting people know they should check the server before heading out.

I wanted that icon, too :P

That's exactly what I mean. I agree that notes serve a useful purpose, but having them count as finds I find misleading. :blink:

Hm. Never thought about it. But it doesn't say "finds" it says "visits" -- which is more or less accurate, unless somebody posts a note just to say Hi or something. If you're DNF'ing stuff without visiting the cache site, you've got a fundamental disconnect with the whole geocaching concept :o

Beautiful photo, anyhow.

:huh:

I wouldn't dream of posting a DNF with making an effort to find the darn thing. So far I've been lucky and found those that I set out to find. On one occasion the weather (snowing & I was miles from home) and the time of day (darkness) beat me but I didn't log a DNF, never occurred to me, wouldn't have been the right thing to do!

That's exactly what I mean. I agree that notes serve a useful purpose, but having them count as finds I find misleading. :blink:

Hm. Never thought about it. But it doesn't say "finds" it says "visits" -- which is more or less accurate, unless somebody posts a note just to say Hi or something. If you're DNF'ing stuff without visiting the cache site, you've got a fundamental disconnect with the whole geocaching concept :o

Beautiful photo, anyhow.

:huh:

I wouldn't dream of posting a DNF with making an effort to find the darn thing. So far I've been lucky and found those that I set out to find. On one occasion the weather (snowing & I was miles from home) and the time of day (darkness) beat me but I didn't log a DNF, never occurred to me, wouldn't have been the right thing to do!

Try this one!