Where The Jeeps Are

Thot

Is there a way to locate caches with jeep TBs? I have never found one of these (yellow or white) and I don’t know how to tell which caches have them. Is there a way in GSAK? Do Pocket Queries let you get a list of caches with jeeps? How??

Edited by Thot
Actually, right now there are WJTB's here, here, apparently here, and most likely here. (You did say Houston, right?)

Actually, the first one you listed is an Event cache not planned to happen for a couple of weeks, so it isn't there "right now" as you said, and . . .

Yes, I did say Houston -- the other three caches you listed are in Beaumont Texas, about 80 miles from Houston. So, my statement about there being none in the 4th largest city is still correct.

But, your post does illustrate a point. The way I was looking I missed all of the caches you listed. I got a PQ of the nearest 100 caches with TBs and began stepping through them one at a time. None of the 4 caches you found were on the PQ????

So I ask again, how do you do that? (and why weren't the caches you found on my PQ which extended out 500 miles?)

not surprising, the real challenge is in fact to get there fast, these things are being stolen at an alarming rate, IT STINKS.

good luck have been to over a dozen where they should be but no jeep and no log to say removed, a lot of people must have them in their little hands for what im not sure, they sell matchbox at the local toystore for 99c, gotta be cheaper than the gas to get to one f these cahces, anyway rant over thanks for listening, Raymond :P

How many have really been stolen? Is there really proof that there's an "epidemic" of Jeep loss, or are there just not many in some areas? So far I've only seen 1 listing with a Jeep in it that was missing. In my area we have a bunch floating around and none have been stolen.

There's only about 80-90 yellow Jeeps in the graveyard. Out of 5000 that's hardly anything. Sure there's more in other places, but honestly it's not like anywhere close to the majority have been stolen. Maybe it's just me, but so far it seems like there are less white Jeeps that have gone missing then yellow ones when they'd been out for about the same amount of time.

So, my statement about there being none in the 4th largest city is still correct.

My guess would be there are actually some of them in town, they're just in someones possession. (and with everyone trying to find one as soon as one drops its probably picked right back up again)

as to how to find them:

I'd go and create a PQ for TBs without filling in a day and submit it. Then when the pages reloads click 'run search now' on nearest cache page. Then when that loads scroll threw each page looking for the icon of your choice. everyone cache thats in the search should have a TB, gc trackable coin, or jeep.

So I ask again, how do you do that?  (and why weren't the caches you found on my PQ which extended out 500 miles?)

As to questions of why, I can offer you no help. I've found the PQ to be a fickle beastie myself... having created ones that simply didn't return the caches I expected it to. Fiddle with it is all I can suggest.

Also, as mentioned, don't wait for it to be mailed to you. Click on that "Preview" option to get a snapshot of caches that's fairly current. The one I run to follow the Jeeps and geocoins selects all types and all containers that contain travel bugs. Select Texas as your state, enter your zipcode and off you go! (That's how I found the caches I listed anyway, and I only had it set out to 100 miles, not 500)

Is it me just being lame, but wasn't there a way to sign up for emails that told you if there was a jeep in your area. I have scoured the Jeep giveway site and haven't been able to find anything. Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy. By the way I've only seen one WJTB show up remotely close to my location and that was in So. Lake Tahoe, Nv and that is 3 hours away from my home coordinates. Has any one seen and in Reno, Nv.

Is it me just being lame, but wasn't there a way to sign up for emails that told you if there was a jeep in your area. 

Yes, apparently there was, but I think they dropped the idea before it was implemented.

Not to tease or anything, but I've seen a fair number within easy reach here in Southern New England, and they aren't moving as quickly as they did at first. I picked one up yesterday that had been sitting in a 1/1 for two weeks. I was sure it was going to be long gone, but there it was.

One thing you can do is place a watch on the White Jeeps in your area. I had to go out 20 pages before I found any but I placed a watch on them and can track them. Eventually they did come around the area but even though they were logged in at sites, I don't believe they ever saw the site. I think some just change hands and one logs them in and the other logs them out. I watched one being placed late yesterday, got up at five this morning and walked to the hardest cache in the area just to find it wasn't there. That is not responsible geocaching. I don't have anything about changing hands without seeing a cache but the end user should at least log the retrieval so some fool like me doesn't trudge up to get it. LOL, I saw one logged into a micro cache that was just an empty pen with a paper in it. Now how did a jeep get into that :blink:

I've seen ONE in Knoxville. Actually I went to Maryville (20 miles SW) to pick it up. Brought it back to Knoxville, placed it in a cache and it was gone in a couple hours!! I'm not holding my breath around here though... Just a few months ago I ran across a YJTB sitting in a cache that had NEVER been logged until the day I picked one up. The original person who was supposed to distribute it never logged it into a cache. Pretty sad, he never gave anybody a chance. I figure I was pretty lucky to get my hands on the one WJ I found... it'll probably be my last until the contest is over. I think people are hanging onto them so they have a model for the photos.

I think people are hanging onto them so they have a model for the photos.

Maybe. Bit of a risk, though. When you upload a photo, you upload it to the page of that specific bug. It'll be pretty obvious, if all someone's photos are with a single bug, that he held onto one for three months. Might even be grounds for disqualification.

I've tried to be really, really scrupulous about the rules on this one (Auntie needs a new GPSr).

Is it me just being lame, but wasn't there a way to sign up for emails that told you if there was a jeep in your area. I have scoured the Jeep giveway site and haven't been able to find anything. Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy. By the way I've only seen one WJTB show up remotely close to my location and that was in So. Lake Tahoe, Nv and that is 3 hours away from my home coordinates. Has any one seen and in Reno, Nv.

I feel your pain Junglejan, we have the same search area, I noticed one in the Reno area, and it's the closest. "Ty"

If you get there 1st, leave it in Lassen county.

I still think they are being hoarded.