Garmin Etrex Legend And Easygps

Cache Starved

I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend and I cannot seem to get it to communicate with my PC through the USB when working with EasyGPS, however it works perfect when I go to the Garmin site and download updates. EasyGPS wants to Com through a serial port. EasyGPS says to configure the GPS but thier instructions do not match my Etrex Legend. I cannot find anywhere in my gps an area where I can work with the Interface. Am I pointed in the right direction? I really want to be able to download geocache sites with my PC instead of manually entering them as I am sure you would agree.

I would appreciate any help!!

Cache Starved

Try using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). Maybe it will hook up with the USB Legend. It's downloadable >HERE<

Not only does it allow you to transfer waypoints, it also stores a copy of the cache page (when using .GPX files) on you computer, which is especially handy if you carry a laptop caching.

I have a garmin Legend C, and this is how I got mine connected. Pick garmin from the list on the left and on the right pick XXX (all symbols) at the bottom of the list. This one will let you check use USB connection.

Hope that helps.

edit----------

Oh yeah. GSAK is a much better tool IMHO. I used EasyGPS at first, but I was getting frustrated with not have a way to print out the descriptions and coordinating things. GSAK will let you do it if you take a little time to learn it. (very little) But EasyGPS is a good starting point to get you there.

Edited by The Bookends
I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend and I cannot seem to get it to communicate with my PC through the USB when working with EasyGPS

The legend comes with a serial cable to hook to the PC!

Does you Computer not have a serial port?

I believe the newer Legends (or perhaps just the Legend C) use USB instead of serial. I know the Vista C uses USB...

i used to have this gps unit untill i had way to many problems with it...for one the satellite reception with this unit is absolutly terrible. even with waas enabled i still would lose reception in light tree cover, i also had trouble getting it to communicate with the pc but i eventually did. after being to fed up with this unit and garmin i decided to switch to a megellan sport trak pro...its amazing! garmin is well known for there features on there gps but there satellite reception is terrible.

Hopefully you have the latest EasyGPS that supports USB????

You can send your waypoints and routes to your GPS by clicking the Send button on the toolbar.

The Waypoints and Routes check boxes show the number of waypoints and routes in your EasyGPS file, and the number of waypoints and routes that your GPS can hold.

GPS Settings shows the name of the GPS receiver you are currently using, as well as the baud rate and serial port that EasyGPS will use to connect to your GPS. Change to USB. If you have more than one GPS receiver, you can select a different GPS from the list.

Pick a Garmin unit that supports USB if the Vista C is not listed.

I have not used EasyGPS for a while so I am working from Memory :)

ImpalaBob

Cachestarved, I got your E-mail. Open up EasyGPS and make sure you have the latest version as I previously posted. Choose File > Preferences. Choose Add GPS .... choose Garmin ..... choose GPSMAP60C even though you have an ETrex legend. Under the Settings tab you can pick Use USB box. This should get you the USB connection that you want. :P ImpalaBob

Not if you buy a starter set at Target...it comes with a video and a case.

I exchanged that for the set-up that Bass Pro was selling...only the unit and the cord.

I learned that lesson (nearly the hard way) this past week.

There is an eBay seller who is selling "Garmin Legend Adventurer Packs with bonus video!"

Turns out the Adventurer Pack does not include cord, but has a belt case and a video training tape.

It seems strange that Garmin would offer it like that. Kinda like buying an iPod only to find out the one you bought came with a belt clip instead of headphones...

I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend and I cannot seem to get it to communicate with my PC through the USB when working with EasyGPS

Does you Computer not have a serial port?

I believe the newer Legends (or perhaps just the Legend C) use USB instead of serial. I know the Vista C uses USB...

Hmmm... Maybe I need to just upgrade to a Legend C then. I have an older Legend and I :huh: lost my serial cable. Not that it did me alot of good because I have a laptop and NO it doesn't have a serial port. So I had to purchase a serial to USB adapter. Quite a clunky setup... surprised I managed to lose all that cable, but it's not recoverable and nobody around here sells the interface cable for a Legend. The guy at Circuit City said I'd probably have to get one off eBay or contact Garmin. :blink: Why couldn't they just put USB connections on them from the start. I had talked to Garmin about this when I first bought it and the guy said something about goverment and said they HAD to use serial connections.

I'm getting tired of inputting waypoints by hand... I want my lappie and my Garmie to talk to each other again!!