Simple Finds??????

hometeachin

Okay, maybe I need to cache with some more experienced cachers because I am going up to these caches that have logs like: "Easy find!" "Thanks for the quick get-and-go" "A true drive-up cache" and "Quick find". UGH! I go to these and walk to where my GPS says "0 ft" and it is NOWHERE! (These are micro urbans, btw.) I am always looking for a film canister or M&M Mini container, but these things can be anything or anywhere. My arms get scratched looking under bushes; my knees get crackelly kneeling on gravel; and my paranoia gets fueled by everyone driving by watching the crazy lady. :unsure:

I do enjoy this...don't get me wrong...but I haven't yet developed the knack others have when they say, "I just stepped back and thought, 'where would I hide it?' and there it is!" Oooooo, goody! I step back and say, where would I hide it, and I must be pretty original, because it is never there. :wacko:

Oh well! I will get better, right? (Humor me. :blink: )

Jenn in AZ

There are some pretty clever but simple ways to hide micros. What is 'easy' to one person isn't necessarily easy for the next person. I have been unable to find micros and larger caches which previous finders mentioned were easy - sometimes 'easy' is more a matter of luck (the direction you approach the cache from, the way the last finder left it hidden, satellite coverage, etc).

You've found a half dozen or so micros already, so you are clearly doing something right. Just keep doing more of the same.

Oh, and buy yourself an inexpensive PDA. Oh, wait, that was another topic altogether! :unsure:

You have touched on something that has made me cringe from the beginning of our caching adventures. When I read in a log that someone has found the cache in 14.03 seconds and that it was a *really* simple find, and we spent 45 minutes looking around trees and turning over rocks, it makes me feel like an eejit. :unsure:

Even if we go to find a cache and someone walks up to the Jeep, knocks on the windshield, and hands it to us, I will never write "EASY FIND! SIMPLE! A TRAINED MONKEY COULD FIND THIS ONE!" in the log. That's just not sporting.

Just my .02. Some caches I have found that I thought were easy. Then I bump into a cache that is one star for the find and I will be dipped I can not find it and it takes several tries (like 6 tries sometimes :wacko: ). And no one else seems to have trouble finding the cache. If I can’t find the cache the first time I have to go back. Then when I do find it, I am more satisfied and proud of myself. :blink: But that is all part of the game. :unsure:

Just my .02.  Some caches I have found that I thought were easy.  Then I bump into a cache that is one star for the find and I will be dipped I can not find it and it takes several tries (like 6 tries sometimes :wacko: ). And no one else seems to have trouble finding the cache.  If I can’t find the cache the first time I have to go back.  Then when I do find it, I am more satisfied and proud of myself.  :blink:  But that is all part of the game.    :unsure:

'Zackly. :blink:

Another problem could be you zeroing out your GPSr, unless you have *really* good accuracy it probably won't take you right to it. I stand back about 30' (according to the GPSr), look at the arrow, and walk the direction it's pointing. I'll usually look for metal stuff, like the bottom of benches (seen a few keyboxes there) or unusual objects, like if I see a larger rock I'll check to see if it's a geocaching fake rock.

HTH,

Blue

Since this is the getting started forum.. I shall ask this... You are aware that the base of light poles lifts up, right? I once had a cacher tell me that "unless the cache is in the building, there's no place it could be hiding - coords took me to the middle of a parking lot" Well, the coords take you to a few feet away from a light pole. Lift the base and find the cache.

Not saying that's your problem, but it might be something you've overlooked.

Lift the base and find the cache.

Or you might find a note uder the base that says, "This would be to easy" :unsure: I have a cache that is very close to a light pole but not under the base.

What you are going to find that no matter how many caches you find, you are going to find some very interesting hide style that will benew to you.

You have touched on something that has made me cringe from the beginning of our caching adventures. When I read in a log that someone has found the cache in 14.03 seconds and that it was a *really* simple find, and we spent 45 minutes looking around trees and turning over rocks, it makes me feel like an eejit. :blink:

Even if we go to find a cache and someone walks up to the Jeep, knocks on the windshield, and hands it to us, I will never write "EASY FIND! SIMPLE! A TRAINED MONKEY COULD FIND THIS ONE!" in the log. That's just not sporting.

ahh, but I really WANT to say "easy find" oh, so bad do I want to!!!! :wacko: But then I would think about the originator and think that I would be pressuring him/her into hiding it in a more difficult/concealed manner next time. Nope! I don't want THAT to happen! :blink:

(Thanks, too...always wondered how to spell eejit! :unsure:)

Just my .02. Some caches I have found that I thought were easy. Then I bump into a cache that is one star for the find and I will be dipped I can not find it and it takes several tries (like 6 tries sometimes :blink: ). And no one else seems to have trouble finding the cache. If I can’t find the cache the first time I have to go back. Then when I do find it, I am more satisfied and proud of myself. :unsure: But that is all part of the game. :wacko:

Yep, I agree, but do you record it on the site as a DNF? Or just keep pluggin away until you have signed the log and then tell how long it took to find it? Do you ask for help/clues?

Since this is the getting started forum.. I shall ask this... You are aware that the base of light poles lifts up, right? I once had a cacher tell me that "unless the cache is in the building, there's no place it could be hiding - coords took me to the middle of a parking lot" Well, the coords take you to a few feet away from a light pole. Lift the base and find the cache.

Not saying that's your problem, but it might be something you've overlooked.

Ummmm, okay. Now I don't know if I am being set up for Candid Camera or not, because it would seem that you would need the strength of Hercules to lift the base of a light pole. :unsure: (I am imagining the whole pole lifting up...or me trying with every onlooker laughing hysterically!)

So, nope, safe to say, I didn't know that! There is one specific "easy" cache that is in a parking lot, by a light pole, so I will go there tomorrow to check it out!! Thanks...unless this is a great practical joke and in that case, I will send you a video. :wacko:

Just my .02.  Some caches I have found that I thought were easy.  Then I bump into a cache that is one star for the find and I will be dipped I can not find it and it takes several tries (like 6 tries sometimes :mad: ). And no one else seems to have trouble finding the cache.  If I can’t find the cache the first time I have to go back.  Then when I do find it, I am more satisfied and proud of myself.  :D  But that is all part of the game.    :unsure:

Yep, I agree, but do you record it on the site as a DNF? Or just keep pluggin away until you have signed the log and then tell how long it took to find it? Do you ask for help/clues?

I have logged as a DNF and then I have posted that it took several times to find. I have also emailed the owner for his advise. Most I do find in the first trip and have spent an hour with my hubby looking for a cache. I just figure that is part of the game and I have fun. I went to one yesterday and could not find it. It was a in a container not a mico but the bugs were bothering a friend so I did not spend to much time looking for it. Everyone before me found it but I didnt. :mad:

Ummmm, okay.  Now I don't know if I am being set up for Candid Camera or not, because it would seem that you would need the strength of Hercules to lift the base of a light pole.  :mad:  (I am imagining the whole pole lifting up...or me trying with every onlooker laughing hysterically!)

ROTFLMBO! No, not the whole pole, just the little metal cover at the base...usually covering the huge bolts that hold the pole to the cement base. We've been to a few where the base has been lifted a good number of times and the paint is scratched off of the pole. There was one where we lifted up and thought it was an easy grab...but wait...the cache wasn't under there...hmmmmmm. Where could it be if not there?? :unsure:

BTW...we log all of our DNFs and go back another time to find them. We have a couple in Yuma that are still DNFs for us but someday...victory will be ours. :mad:

Edited by souperteam