Etiquette Of Geocaching

EBBJr

Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster, so forgive me if I don't do something quite right.

I'm in the process of writing an article about geocaching for my local newspaper. I thought it'd make an interesting topic and it's probably something that some people would love to do, if they only knew about it. I wanted to have a paragraph or two about geocaching etiquette. Something along the lines of what great people most geocachers are, respectful of the land, etc.

So far I've said that bushwhacking through delicate undergrowth is discouraged and that many of us practice cache in, trash out.

What else can y'all think of?

Thanks in advance!

Kimberly (part of the EBBJr team)

:)

Mention that it is a great hobby for families, individuals, adventurers and weekend strollers.

Make sure you include the URL to the website.

I would also include the history of the first geocache (the tupperware labeled "GPS cache" just over five years ago (when the satellites were "set free") and how it came to be what it is today.

Just my two cents worth.

I would also include the history of the first geocache (the tupperware labeled "GPS cache" just over five years ago (when the satellites were "set free") and how it came to be what it is today.

Just my two cents worth.

I think technically it was a 5 gallon bucket. Not sure about the specific wording on the label but they were first called 'stashes' not caches.

Check & double check your facts. Avoid using the word BURIED at all costs.

Point out that people of all ages and physical abilities can geocache.

Just my two cents worth.

I think technically it was a 5 gallon bucket. Not sure about the specific wording on the label but they were first called 'stashes' not caches.

Check & double check your facts. Avoid using the word BURIED at all costs.

You're correct.

It DID say GPS stash.

Proof that one should always check their facts.

Sorry about that!

I think technically it was a 5 gallon bucket.  Not sure about the specific wording on the label but they were first called 'stashes' not caches.

Check & double check your facts.  Avoid using the word BURIED at all costs.

I would disagree--feel free to go ahead and use the word 'buried', just make sure it is directly preceeded by the word 'never'.

To add emphasis to the family aspect of caching, maybe try and get a pic of a young'un at a find with the cache?

Thanks for all the quick responses!

I'll try to post the article. Our paper has a website but not all articles make it. If nothing else, I'll put it on my own personal website and post that.

I'd never seen the Geocacher's creed! That's exactly the type thing I wanted. I thought that might be in the faq, but I didn't see anything like it.

Thanks again and if anyone has any additional answers, I'd love to hear them.

Kimberly

Mention:

1. that geocaches are never buried

But then they would be lying.

On rare and carefully controlled circumstances there are buried caches. They can be found on privately owned lands and specific places where digging is harmless, like a sandy beach.

Personally, I'd stay away from the word "buried" altogether. We don't hunt for "buried treasure," but I'd not want the veracity of my statements called into question if I said something like "caches are never buried" because it is clearly untrue.

If one must mention the word "buried" it's much more accurate to say "extremely rare" than "never."

Mention:

1. that geocaches are never buried

But then they would be lying.

On rare and carefully controlled circumstances there are buried caches. They can be found on privately owned lands and specific places where digging is harmless, like a sandy beach.

Personally, I'd stay away from the word "buried" altogether. We don't hunt for "buried treasure," but I'd not want the veracity of my statements called into question if I said something like "caches are never buried" because it is clearly untrue.

If one must mention the word "buried" it's much more accurate to say "extremely rare" than "never."

That is why I suggested simply avoiding the word altogether.

There are caches that have been buried, some with and some with out land manager permission. They are the exception not the rule. IMNSHO it's best to focus on the 'current' guidelines for placing caches rather than what may or may not have been allowed in the past.

Hmmmm . . . according to comments in this thread, caches should never be buried.

That is one of the supposedly strictly-enforced guidelines.

Yep and you argue that point with someone, what's going to happen when they start throwing examples in your face?

Believe me, when you are trying to make a point with someone who might be antagonistic the very first thing you want is, to the best of your ability, have your words beyond reproach.

You will note also in that thread that no one with any authority said there aren't any buried caches. What is said is there are guidelines concerning buried caches.

I ain't saying the guideline is not needed or stupid or anything to that effect. I understand why the guideline is in place. I understand why the myth is perpetuated and encouraged. However, if you stand firm in saying there are no buried caches, when it is proven otherwise, your words have less weight.

Kimberly, if you haven't already noticed, cachers are very sensitive about using the B-word. :)

Let's all remember that this topic is not an open invitation for debate; it is a simple query, by a reporter, specifically asking for feedback:

...about geocaching etiquette. Something along the lines of what great people most geocachers are, respectful of the land, etc.

I think this discussion portrays the passion we all have for respecting the land, but I'm guessing the reporter is already aware of that. It's apparent she is writing the article from the perspective of what great people most geocachers are, not what they were.

We should save the debate for later and answer the nice lady's question. B):)

If the question is about a paragraph or two on etiquette then the Creed already mentioned should be enough to get a firm grasp.

Of course, my favorite etiquette line is "always trade kindly" for obvious reasons.

Opps, I forgot to add that back in when I changed my siggy. EDIT: All better!

Edited by CoyoteRed

I'd never seen the Geocacher's creed! That's exactly the type thing I wanted. I thought that might be in the faq, but I didn't see anything like it. ...

I don't know about the creed. You might note that the creed, as written, expresses the ideas of a few cachers, not all cachers nor all caching organizations.

I don't know about the creed.  You might note that the creed, as written, expresses the ideas of a few cachers, not all cachers nor all caching organizations.

This is true, but all cachers and all geocaching organizations have not posted a creed. As I mentioned in an above post, other articles and ideas appear in Today's Cacher.

Instead of disclaiming the creed, why don't you offer your own positive suggestions. But then of course you would have to disclaim that as your opinion. :)

Sheeesh! :)B)

I don't know about the creed. You might note that the creed, as written, expresses the ideas of a few cachers, not all cachers nor all caching organizations.

No, the creed was drawn up by a few cachers to represent the ideals of geocaching.

The ideas that you should be considerate, protect the game pieces, not create public alarm, and so on are simply ideas that formalize common sense to some degree. It's useful for exactly this situation (reporter: "where do i find geocaching etiquette info?").

While geocaching organizations or specific cachers may have objections to a word or two or how the creed is maintained or other technicality, you will be hard-pressed to find organizations or cachers that think we should endanger each other or ignore property rights and heavily impact the environment, and so on.

Caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried

Oh and caches aren't buried

Caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried caches aren't buried

Oh and caches aren't buried

If I am to understand correctly, you're saying caches aren't burried?!!?

Okay the horse is definitely dead, I'll stop beating it now.

I don't know about the creed.  You might note that the creed, as written, expresses the ideas of a few cachers, not all cachers nor all caching organizations.

This is true, but all cachers and all geocaching organizations have not posted a creed. As I mentioned in an above post, other articles and ideas appear in Today's Cacher.

Instead of disclaiming the creed, why don't you offer your own positive suggestions. But then of course you would have to disclaim that as your opinion. B)

Sheeesh! B):)

For the record, over 60 geocachers were involved in developing the Creed. And, as ju66l3r said, it was created to represent the ideals of geocaching, accepted by most geocachers. All of this is disclosed in the link to the development of the Creed on the website.

In addition, over 50 geocaching websites around the world have linked to the The Geocachers Creed website. They represent many hundreds if not thousands of geocachers. There are only two caching related websites that were asked to link to the Creed and decided not to, each for its own reasons.

It is grossly inaccurate to say that the Creed "expresses the ideas of a few cachers". The Creed is voluntary, and it's true that it does not express the ideas of all cachers or all caching organizations. As you can see from these forums, nothing does! :)

It's what you're looking for Kimberly - hope it's helpful (you are welcome to quote any or all of it verbatim)!

PS - as fequent visitors to these forums know, I'm one of the geocachers who helps to maintain the Creed. It is non-commerical and not affiliated with any listing site, including geocaching.com. You can contact us at geocachers<dot>creed<at>gmail<dot>com if you have any questions about the Geocachers' Creed!