Airport Caches

Pieman

I have done two airport traditional caches (Paris and Gothenburg) recently. I think that both of these caches are inappropriate in such places and one has subsequently been archived. During the same period I tried unsuccesfully to list a virtual cache at Manchester airport. The reviewer, I have to say, interpretted the current rules correctly in denying my cache. However, it seems pretty crazy to me that traditional caches are allowed (when they certainly don't have permission) but virtual caches aren't on the "Wow" factor criterion.

I'm no geat fan of virtual caches, but surely the rule should be that they are only allowed where real caches are impossible- such as within airport boundaries. There are no quality control requirements on real caches so why should they apply to virtuals? (And anyway, although the location of Manchester airport is not that exciting, there was an interesting puzzle to solve!).

Given the special sensitivity of the authorities towards security at airports you'll understand the caution with which we treat caches there.

I know the American authorities are understandably suspicious, almost to the point of paranoia some might argue, about "objects" left near airports. Maybe the Danish and French are less so.

I would be absolutely delighted if someone could get permission to hide a physical cache at, say, Heathrow. Think of the potential for Travel Bugs! However, until permission IS obtained they are a definite no-no.

As for virtuals, just because a physical isn't allowed doesn't make the site suitable. It still has to have that indefinable "WOW" factor that's so hard to define. We don't want to get into the situation where "authorities" begin to see them as an "easy alternative" to real caches. A lot of hard work went into getting the acgreement of, say, the Forestry Commission to allow caches to be placed. If the easy alternative was just to allow virtuals think of the number of superb regular caches we wouldn't be able to enjoy.

If you really do want a "virtual" cache you best bet is to wait for a few more weeks as outliined in that other topic.

the rule should be that they are only allowed where real caches are impossible- such as within airport boundaries. 

I don't see why it should be impossible to place a cache within airport boundaries. I have a vague recollection of Mark (TheCat) asking for permission to place a travel bug hotel cache just outside Birmingham(?) Airport and being surprised when they said "absolutely not, but we might let you leave one inside at the departures customer services desk." Apparently anything you can get past the scanners is assumed to be safe. ISTR things fell through at about the government started parking tanks outside major airports!

So, the challenge is still open for someone with good negotiating skills. But it's not a place for anyone whose idea of cache placing is sneaking an ammo box behind a tree while the landowner's not looking!

Edited by Teasel
...I know the American authorities are understandably suspicious, almost to the point of paranoia some might argue, about "objects" left ...

I'm not sure what it's like in the UK but we have blown up a lot of harmless junk. Called in bio hazard teams on stinky food and other things that make our authorties puff out their chests and blame Joe Citizen for going about his business (as he should) in such a way that it "forced" the authorties to respond. Some day they will realize that it's just the cost of doing businesess.