Zipcode/coordinates

Retired

I find Zip Code databases to be imprecise at best, and as such do not rely on them very much. I googled 77840 to find out it is College Station Texas.

I googled College Station Texas Longitude and got N30° 37.800' W96° 19.800'

Searched for the nearest Cache and found: There's a spirit can ne'er be told...

Only .6 Miles away. And there are 23 more listings within 5 Miles. Phooey Zip Code.

I'm not positive but I think it is from the main post office for that area. At least that appears to be true for many area around here. Actually I have no real idea though......

That doesn't hold in my area. It seems to be at some random location near the center of the area covered by the zipcode.

Actually what I am trying to do is find a cache without the coordinates. By doing a zip search I find that it is 6.2 miles NE. My question is 6.2 miles NE of what? My house or the coordinates for zip code searched?

If you click on the cache name and go to the cache page, then scroll down and click on the map you should be able to see exactly where it is relative to your house.

When you enter a zip code search the center is the middle of the zip code.

'm not positive but I think it is from the main post office for that area. At least that appears to be true for many area around here. Actually I have no real idea though......

Neither is the case for my Zipcode. The center of a Zipcode search here is an intersection about a mile from my house. Its over 3 miles from the post office and nowhere near the geographic center of the Zipcode.

It is however the same spot directions start from if I use Mapblast for directions and I only enter the Zipcode and not my street. I guess they use the same criteria.

Find a cache that is close to your house and make it the center of you search. Then all distances are from that cache.

Why not just use the coordinates for your home? It would be more accurate.

If you do a zip code search and then click "Map It" on the results, the website address for the map will contain the zip code's coordinates. For example, I searched on 60544 for my home town. After clicking on the Map It, the website address (URL) was

...aspx?lat=41.6158&lon=-88.1984.

So my home zip code's coodinates are N 41.6158 W 88.1984 (which translate to N 41° 36.948 W 088° 11.904). That is NOT the center of town, but I do believe it is a close approximation of the center of the zip code area.

That being said, I agree with pretty much everyone that the zip code search is highly inaccurate. Much better to use a search from your home's coordinates. Take the GPS to your front porch, right down the numbers and use the Advanced Search Page to search on those coordinates.

Edited by Markwell