Gps Interfaces

Hey everyone, I'm busy doing acedemic research on GPS interfaces (yes, and excuse to do more caching :) ) If anyone can help please let me know:

1. My Garmin GPS III Plus doesn't have any help menues on it, but does have a simulator. Do other GPS receivers have help menues? And if so, which ones.

2. Are there such things as GPS enabled cellular/mobile phones.

3. I have a questionnaire that you can fill in at:My Webpage

Thanks very much

1. My Garmin GPS III Plus doesn't have any help menues on it, but does have a simulator. Do other GPS receivers have help menues? And if so, which ones.

The Lowrance units have a help feature. If you scroll to a function and let the cursor lag over it a small screen will pop up telling you what it means. Actually its kind of annoying, but it can be turned off.

I don't see any help features on my Garmin units.

Not only does Lowrance have onboard simulators as well as help popups within the GPS itself (that can be switched off when nolonger needed, thank heaven! lol), Lowrance also has "product emulators" that you can download and run on your PC, that simulates the actual product! Try before you buy :P

==> Check 'em out! <==

The Lowrance GPSs aren't really hand held devices are they? Isn't that why they can support help menues, because they are much larger devices? Or am I wrong?

Lowrance makes a series of devices that use GPS technology, their marine, aviation and automotive models are dedicated units that bolt into the vehicle. But they also have eight iFinders that are handheld & portable (more coming soon lol). Also their iWay 100m is an "automotive" type GPS but is also portable.

IVxIV: Thanks, I see. I'll look into it some more. So the hand helds also have help menues? I don't know of any Garmin GPSrs that have help menues, but I guess that's why they give manuals with such things.

Greymane: Cool, thanks. My buddies dad bought a GPS enabled cellphone and will be testing it out on a few cache hunts.

Hey everyone, I'm busy doing acedemic research on GPS interfaces (yes, and excuse to do more caching :P ) If anyone can help please let me know:

2. Are there such things as GPS enabled cellular/mobile phones.

3. I have a questionnaire that you can fill in at:My Webpage

Thanks very much

#2 yes. All of Nextel's phones (after October 2001) have GPS standard. Additional software (and usually a subscription to a service) is needed to utilize it, though. Otherwise it's as the other poster said - it's there for emergency services to be able to locate you.