What Comes After Gczzzz?

budd-rdc

Our cult believes the world will end before then.

Seriously, the worst case scenario is that a digit is appended to the end when we reach that point.

Out of curiosity, would all current caches get a 0 or A at the end? In other words, would everything become a 2+5 indentifier uniformly or only new ones?

I believe that GD is used for GeoDashing waypoints, so doing that would be confusing. Also, it is common when dealing with geocachers and land managers to ask "what's the GC number?" I doubt if we'll see Geocaching.com Waypoints for geocaches that do not begin with "GC." But I may be wrong!

Signed,

Not Elias

I doubt if we'll see Geocaching.com Waypoints for geocaches that do not begin with "GC." But I may be wrong!

So then what happens when you have to download to a GPSr and you can only show six digits? Is the last one going to get cut off, or is the first one going to get cut? I can see this leading to quite a bit of confusion.

I doubt if we'll see Geocaching.com Waypoints for geocaches that do not begin with "GC."  But I may be wrong!

So then what happens when you have to download to a GPSr and you can only show six digits? Is the last one going to get cut off, or is the first one going to get cut? I can see this leading to quite a bit of confusion.

I think it's time for you to upgrade your GPSr :)

Or use 3rd party software like GPX Spinner that can change the "GC" to something else like just "G" for your GPS only but still keep the full 7-character waypoint for the rest of us that can handle it.

Or even better change it to M for multi, P for puzzle, L for letterbox etc. :)

Love the new version of Spinner LilDevil. Thanks for the updates.

Our cult believes the world will end before then.

Seriously, the worst case scenario is that a digit is appended to the end when we reach that point.

Out of curiosity, would all current caches get a 0 or A at the end? In other words, would everything become a 2+5 indentifier uniformly or only new ones?

I would assume the old waypoints won't change.

For example, this cache was placed in 2001 with a waypoint of GC525...it was never changed as the waypoints went to 6 digits.

I doubt if we'll see Geocaching.com Waypoints for geocaches that do not begin with "GC."  But I may be wrong!

I have an old eTrex Summit which can display only 6 characters, but I've been truncating the "GC" and adding " X" at the end (space in front), where X is the container type. Because my GPSr groups waypoints by 0-9, A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-T, U-Z, this works out pretty well for searching a waypoint.

It took about 3 years to get to GCPxxx from GC1xxx, so it'll be a while before we run out of GCxxxxx. The world might end before I'll need to upgrade my GPSr. :)

As others have said, technically the current numbers are 4 digits with "GC" preceding them. We still have 2 digits to work with, and plenty of apps strip them anyway.