Activate Or Enable?

Tzoid

I am currently in the process of creating my first cache. I notice that on the form one needs to fill out there is a check box labeled "Yes, this cache is currently active". I have for the moment not checked this box.

On the listing page there is a link called 'click to enable' and another one in the right hand corner called 'enable listing'. The listing page also states that 'This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.' and 'The reviewers will not see this listing until you activate it.'

My understandig is that I have to click one of the two 'enable' links so that the reviewer will see the cache. Why are these two links labelled differently when they perform the same function?

When the reviewer has approved the cache it will be displayed together with all other enabled caches.

I guess my other question is really 'is enabled, approved and active the same thing'? If they are, I think the website should use just one of the terms. Using more than one term for the same thing is confusing. If they are not the same thing, then what exactly is the difference?

Thanks, tz.

Edit: for clarity.

Edited by Tzoid

You would "enable" a cache in order for it to become an "active" cache. "Enable" is the verb and "active" is an adjective. The opposite action is to "disable" a cache to make it "inactive."

Toggling a cache from enabled to disabled is entirely separate from the concept of "approving" a cache. Once the cache is reviewed by a site volunteer such as myself, it is listed on the website so that everyone else can see the cache page. In the near future, this will be called "published" rather than "approved."

When you are ready for your cache to be reviewed, either check the box on the submission form, or enter a log to enable the cache.

I agree..........it is very confusing. I recently submitted a cache for listing, and was lightly admonished by the reviewer about "enabling" the cache. I too, was of the understanding that it needed to be done, so that the reviewer would "see" it for review.

So, my question is the same: what's the diff tween "enable" and "active"?

Good post, Tzoid.

Go JayBee

p.s. I'm still confused....even after Keystone's post.

Edited by Go JayBee
So, my question is the same: what's the diff tween "enable" and "active"?

p.s. I'm still confused....even after Keystone's post.

I thought Keystone explained it very eloquently.

For all practical reasons I suppose they mean the same thing. You've got to be sure that box is checked on the cache submission page or the cache reviewer won't see your cache in the approval queue.

Once a cache is approved you can disable it temporarily if maintenance is needed or a trail is closed, then re-enable it, or reactivate it, when it's again ready to be hunted.

erik - geocaching.com adminion

In the near future, this will be called "published" rather than "approved."

Although "approved" is actually a better name for what happens. Published implies purely administrative overhead, whereas what's really going on is rule-checking. It really is being "approved" not just "published".

In the near future, this will be called "published" rather than "approved."

Although "approved" is actually a better name for what happens. Published implies purely administrative overhead, whereas what's really going on is rule-checking. It really is being "approved" not just "published".

GC is a listing service. They approve the listing. That is all they can do. They can not approve a geocache. The more that I think about the more I think published is a better and accurate term for what is done.

I see people getting confused all the time about the term approved geocache. There are many converstions in these forum of people who think that because a cache is approved that the cache hider got permission from the land owner(s) and that the appover somehow followed up and contacted the land owner(s) to verify that the cache placement was okay with the owner(s).

You would "enable" a cache in order for it to become an "active" cache. "Enable" is the verb and "active" is an adjective. The opposite action is to "disable" a cache to make it "inactive."

Ok, it was as suspected.

I think a few words on the cache submit form about the cache lifecycle and the review process would be welcomed by most new cache owners. I know I would have liked it.

And I still don't see why there are two differently labelled links to enable the cache.

And I still don't see why there are two differently labelled links to enable the cache.

Up until fairly recently, all you needed to do in order to disable a cache or to re-enable it was to click on the link below the cache name. This was changed, however, so that now a log is required (except for when the cache hasn't been listed yet). Recording a log at the time a cache's status changes is a good idea to help keep readers informed about what's going on.

At the time of this change in January/February, Jeremy added "Enable Cache" and "Disable Cache" as log types, and re-designed the log options menu at the top right of the page. In his infinite wisdom, however, Jeremy has also left the link below the cache name, for the time being, as a second way to enable or disable a cache. If he had suddenly removed it, the site would have been flooded with e-mails complaining about how Geocaching.com took away the owner's ability to disable a cache. If you don't believe that, I could share with you a week's worth of e-mail from people logging "Should be Archived" on their own cache pages because they can't figure out how to archive their own cache.

If you don't believe that, I could share with you a week's worth of e-mail from people logging "Should be Archived" on their own cache pages because they can't figure out how to archive their own cache.

I do believe that, and I think that could be bettered with a small tutorial on administrative cache management. The "Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines" says a lot of things, but nothing about the cache submittal form itself and the associated cache listing/editing form. Maybe it is assumed that this is easy-peasy, but as you and I know, it isn't. The quick tutorial step 4 at http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx should in my opinion be expanded to include the information we have been talking about in this thread.

Neither of which answered my original questions. And the Knowledgebase is something one (at least I do) visit when there is something I cant figure out. I was looking more for a short document holding my hand when I submit my first cache. A step by step description. But I sense that the TPTB does not share my view, so this will be my last post on this topic.

Is there a way to get a cache approved before it is viewable by any one other than the approver?

I don't understand the question.

I'll take a shot at this. I think Team Cotati697 is asking whether there's a way to get a "thumbs up" from the cache reviewer, without actually having the cache listed. The volunteers are happy to do this in appropriate circumstances. For example, if you're hiding six new caches in a park because there will be an event cache in three weeks, both the hider and the cache reviewer would rather get the work out of the way in advance. Submit the caches a week or two in advance, and in the "Note to Reviewer" field, say "PLEASE HOLD UNTIL [date of release]. Let me know if there is any problem with listing this cache."

TPTB can correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that:

(1) The "Yes, this cache is currently active" check box on your cache submittal form could be translated to read: "Yes, my cache is ready for review and listing (leave un-checked if you are still 'work'n on it')" If so this a handy tool if you want to summit your cache to the site so that you can view it and continue to work on it without worrying about it being reviewed and/or listed prematurely. (Working out all the bugs on links and HTML, etc. can take hours). When your creation is finished you would edit your "on hold" cache, activate it, then summit changes. (The reviews can now see it and do their thing).

(2) The cache owners cache page "enable/disable" is meant to be used (if needed) after a cache has been listed (published) and has nothing to do with the cache submittal process.

I think this is what Tzoid and others are confused about.

(1) The "Yes, this cache is currently active" check box on your cache submittal form could be translated to read: "Yes, my cache is ready for review and listing (leave un-checked if you are still 'work'n on it')" If so this a handy tool if you want to summit your cache to the site so that you can view it and continue to work on it without worrying about it being reviewed and/or listed prematurely. (Working out all the bugs on links and HTML, etc. can take hours). When your creation is finished you would edit your "on hold" cache, activate it, then summit changes. (The reviews can now see it and do their thing).

Correct.

(2) The cache owners cache page "enable/disable" is meant to be used (if needed) after a cache has been listed (published) and has nothing to do with the cache submittal process.

Half correct. When you post an "enabled" note to a cache that does not have the "active" box checked, it sets the box to checked status (which then makes it visible to reviewers).

Edited by Prime Suspect