My first cache.

I recently discovered geocaching.com and was rather intrigued with the concept. My girlfriend and I decided to give it a shot since we both like to hike and do outdoor activites.

Last night I went to Walmart and purchased a Garmin eTrex unit and I spent about 1 hour last night learning how to use it.

TOday was a test run. My GF didn't have time to go with me but I wanted to get an idea of how this works. After navigating to about 50 feet of my destination I began to look around. After spending the better part of 20 minutes mindlessly wandering I started to try and think of good hiding spots.

Since this was in a wooded area there were lots of rocks and other items that the cache could be hidden under. Finally after almost giving up (I was short on time) I happened to see a railroad tie sitting along the trail. I didn't really think much of it but I tilted it on its side with my foot.

There it was, an ammo box was hidden well underneath the railroad tie. I entered my log in the book and rummaged through the items in the box. I chose to keep a small toy dinosaur as a throphy for my first cache found. Unfortunatly I forgot to bring an item of my own but I will be returning within a few days with my girlfriend to drop something off.

[This message was edited by #6 on May 09, 2003 at 10:53 AM.]

Congrats and welcome. I learned about geocaching thru a newspaper article, and a few months later got a Magellan. By the weekend, I had my first find, and the fun has just gone on.

you'll find how well it fits in with your other outdoor interests; theres a cache for everyone.

Enjoy !

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Good to see I'm not the only one that is impulsive. I was messing around the web and stumbled across geocaching.com and I ordered my GPS 2 days later. The day after I got it in the mail I logged 2 finds. I found one at lunch today and will be taking my wife to dinner tonight but we will be stopping at 2 more caches I have stored in my GPS. Hopefully I can get her hooked so we can make this a family sport.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

icon_cool.gif Ah yes another convert. Soon all will be assimilated into the collective.

But seriously-Welcome aboard and have a great time out there. You have already started to learn to trust the force more than the equipment. And remember above all-not everything you read around here is intended to be serious. (But this post is) icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

I too am new to Geocaching, and finding that first cache was all it took for me to be bitten by the bug. I guess we all will remember that first find. One other great benefit for me was that my 26 year old daughter is as interested in Geocaching as I am and it has drawn us closer together than we have been since she was a young teen. For that I am very greatful. icon_smile.gif