New - Tips

TaxCacher

Welcome! :laughing:

Here's a few tips:

1) Prepare well before you head out - read previous log entries to get a 'feel' for the area and the kind of things which people have encountered in the past. If the cache has been found recently, you should be able to find it, too.

2) When your GPSr indicates that you are within 50 feet, stop looking at the GPSr and start looking for the cache. After wandering and searching for a bit, check to see how far you are, and if you are more than 100 feet, get in closer again and repeat. When you are this close, don't even bother considering the direction the compass head is pointing.

3) Look for likely spots. It helps to keep in mind the size of the container you are looking for.

4) Look for anything that doesn't look completely normal or natural, for example, a pile of sticks, or oddly placed rocks.

5) Start with easier caches (difficulty ratings of 1 or 1.5).

6) Use any hints if you get stuck.

7) Have fun, don't get discouraged!

cache_test_dummies (I love that name :laughing::D )

Thanks for the tips. I am going to my daughters this weekend and I am taking it with me. They have about 40 within 5 miles of their house. :laughing: I printed out a bunch of them and will load the waypoints in so I am ready :laughing: . Hopefully it will be fun and we have some luck...

Tax Cacher

Addtional Tips:

• Most caches are within 3 foot of ground level - learn to think vertical
  • Take a moment to look for signs that somebody else stopped to look at something nearby
  • think - where would I camo something here
  • Have Fun!!
  • Be sure to log any Do Not Finds - it may be gone and the owner needs to check - no shame happens to all of us

Edited by StarBrand
:laughing: I am just getting started. So far I have not had problems getting to the area where a cache is stached but been having trouble finding the caches. What tips are there for finding the caches?

Tax Cacher

make sure you are looking for a difficulty:1 and Terrain: 1 with a medium to large sized cache. i have found, that the more public access the location is (parks, urban caches, etc) the harder they are to find - and with good reasons; don't want muggles stumbling onto them! :laughing:

Also make sure you are not looking for virtual caches or cache locations that give you the starting coordinates only. I have about 400 caches in my GPS and as i cruuisee around town, I look for ones closeby (I don't have a pda for paperless caching). many times, i have been at the location to find nothinig. i go back to the website and the coordinates give the location for beginning the find - and not the cache itself.

when I started, I always decrypted the clues, just to help.

Good luck. My kids love "treasure hunting".. :laughing:

I am learning to go to the other side of 30 feet when I get close to the cache area.

Although I start looking around at likely spots when my GPSr says I am within 30 feet, if I start my search there, I sometimes miss a really obvious cache placement on the other side of that circle.

Also, if I am under trees, I stand away from the cache in a more open area, if there is one, and let the GPSr settle down. Once it does, I look at which way the arrow is pointing and try to guess that 65 or 50 or 40 feet away from me, in that direction. Then I go there and look.

Don't forget to look up. DeCon containers might be up in a tree or stuck in a bush. M&M tubes or Cigar Tubes can be hung from tree branches.

Ammo cans and Tupperware containers are usually easy compared to the devious hiding spots for those other items.

Something I've done on occasion when the cache isn't easily found is find where my GPS says ground zero is, then set it down there (as long as it is a visible spot, woun't want to set it in a bush or such :laughing:). Then, I start hunting in the general area, and come back later to the GPS. If it says its a ways off, I'll start over.

Or, depending on your unit, don't just follow the arrow. I use the arrow to get me within 50', then I just look at the raw coordinates screen. This way, I can just line up the numbers to match those of the cache. This seems to be a bit more precise. Your results may vary :laughing:

Use a good old-fashioned magnetic compass in addition to your GPSr. Except for pricy units, the GPSr only has accurate bearings while you are moving. Once you get close, stop for a moment, look at the bearing numbers, and use your compass to point you in the right direction.

Steer clear of micro caches for a while. And if you don't find it within 20 feet of "ground zero", expand your search area a bit. Sometimes the reception just isn't that great, and your readings will be a little off. Since you made the effort to get close, might as well look thoroughly :laughing: .

Newb here but I found an orienteering trick to work nice. I switch my gps too offroad find. A compass comes up. I start walking a straight line a good distance from the cache with the direction indicator poitning the way. As I am walking I spot a landmark behind the supposed cache site and head towards it when I get close and the accuracy of my gpsr drops off.