Ipaq (compaq) And Geocaching

I was wondering if you can use a compaq IPAQ 3635 to download caches? I'm not really techy. I would always print everything out and take it with me but I was out with a friend who has a palm and it was so easy. He wasn't sure if you could us an iPAQ. The difference is Ipaq is Windows powered not Palm OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Leffs

Yes. I have an Ipaq 2215. I use GSAK in my PC to transfer the caching files into the PPC and gpxsonar in the PPC to view the files. Paperless caching! Add Mapopolis for auto-routing and gpxtomaplet to create all the caching as icons on the Mapopolis maps so you can auto-troute from one cache to the next. ;)

I was wondering if you can use a compaq IPAQ 3635 to download caches?...He wasn't sure if you could us an iPAQ. The difference is Ipaq is Windows powered not Palm OS.

If your iPAQ runs PPC 2003 you can run GPXSonar. To get any use of it you'll need a premium membership @ $30/year so you can get Pocket Queries and download gpx files. To really take full advantage, you'll also want GSAK running on your PC.

Do a search on "paperless" in this forum for extensive discussions and links.

Your friend is right. It is amazingly easy. I went paperless a year ago and never looked back.

You are in luck! I just started caching, and one of the first things I did was hook up my Ipaq 3635 to my Garmin Legend.

You will need the garmin cable, a null modem gender changer ($8), and a serial Ipaq sync cable (all this can be found on ebay).

Works great for realtime position in MS Streets and Trips (PocketPC version), plus look at the VitoTech apps! You will be amazed at what you can do with this machine! Get a pelican case to protect it, and drill a hole to seal up for the data cable, and you are protected.

Freeware app http://strandberg.org/gpxview/ can organize and view your waypoints and hints, as can the Mobipocket reader if you go premium and use pocket queries.

PM me or post here if you need help!

PS: All this runs on PPC2002

Since he has IPAQ and not Palm OS, are there any differences between the two? I use my palm m500 with GSAK and Cachemate. From what i've read it seems he can do the same, but maybe will have to use gpxview on his unit instead of cachemate. Are there any twists to having an IPAQ in the downloading pocket quaries, loading to GSAK and then Hot Syncing process to the PDA if you have IPAQ instead of Palm OS?

PooMan

I use an Ipaq 3955 and GPX Sonar with windows mobile 2002, you can still get the GPX sonar for 2002 from the archives and it works just fine. I run a pocket query, import it into GSAK and then save it to my pocket PC folder where it is auto loaded onto the SD card of my Pocket PC during a routine sync. I find it very valuable to look up details in the field AND to do field notes to keep track of caches I find and you can also export field notes directly into GSAK.

I use Memory-Map Navigator with my PPC for caching. I also use GSAK for my cache information. They work wonderfully together. As far as the concerns about banging the unit around, common sense will take you a long way. I use my PPCs all the time in the field and have yet to break one. If it is wet or dusty (most of the time), I put the PDA in an Aquapac. These bags are waterproof and you can use the PDA right through the bag. There is even a little holder for your stylus on the outside.

Memory-Map does not do street navigation (well, it won't give you directions anyway), but that stuff is useless out in the hills anyway. Topo maps are the way to go when you are off-road. In town, I much prefer the aerial images (DOQQS). I can usually tell which side of a building to look on just by where the program puts the icon on the map.

Since he has IPAQ and not Palm OS, are there any differences between the two? I use my palm m500 with GSAK and Cachemate. From what i've read it seems he can do the same, but maybe will have to use gpxview on his unit instead of cachemate. Are there any twists to having an IPAQ in the downloading pocket quaries, loading to GSAK and then Hot Syncing process to the PDA if you have IPAQ instead of Palm OS?

PooMan

You can just copy the GPX file to your PDA and load it into either GPXView or GPXSonar directly. It's pretty straight foward. GSAK processing is optional (and I'm still fuzzy on GSAK though it does far more than I know it does).

You can just copy the GPX file to your PDA and load it into either GPXView

This is what I do, I unzip pocket queries directly into my PocketPC My Documents so it is auto synced every day, then just open it in GPXView...

I also export waypoints as CSV S&T files, and import those into a map if I need driving directions as you can export the map with points of interest directly into the IPAQ.

Now, the fun part comes with a second GPS unit, hooked to a laptop in the car, broadcasting dGPS corrections over WIFI to the PocketPC (compact flash wifi card)....

I'm still fuzzy on GSAK

Because RAM can be a precious resource on a PPC, I use GSAK to slice-and-dice my cache database into smaller digestable chunks (for GPXsonar). It also makes file loading, searches, filters, exports, etc. run faster. My GSAK database has 6,700+ caches and that would choke my PPC to death.

So, if I'm looking for a standard ammo can, I only have to load NBreg.GPX (Near-by Regular sized caches). The GPX files are created by a single button push (it calls a macro which sets filters and does the exports). The exports are for both GPX and Magellan waypoint files. Since I have MightySync, all the GPX files get copied to my PocketPC's SD memory card automatically. The Magellan waypoints files are manually copied to its SD memory card -- although I have used GPXsonar to do this "in the field" as well (pretty cool!).

My "Nearbys" macro creates 17 different files: by radial distance (all types), type (size and style), geographic areas (using GSAK polygons), and source (i.e., TerraCaching.com caches, Benchmarks, etc.).

Edited by Xangxa