Front Range Capture The Flag

Need an excuse to drive to Denver from Colorado Springs (or vice versa) to do some caching? Well, starting next month you'll have a reason! Go capture your opponent's flag, or rescue your own. This game has been popular between other areas like North vs. South New England, Long Island vs. New Jersey, and others.

Let's get out of our own city and find some caches in another one while capturing and retrieving flags to earn points for our team. Think of all the cache ideas you'll get when caching in a different area!

Details can be found here

The rules are open for discussion until we start the game. To give people enough time to get setup we may wait until June 15th to start the game (instead of June 1st). After the game starts, the referees will decide any conflicts based on the written rule or the intent of the game if there is no written rule.

Should there be a prize for the winning team? Perhaps the losing team places a cache in the winning team's honor?

If you'd like to be a referee and don't live in either the Denver or Colorado Springs area, let me know.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Ok I go to Denver, get the flag and hide it in the hills. Now who is going to look for it when it gets put in a locationless cache. ;)

:P Sounds like this might need to be something addressed in the rules.

I have a few "agents" in CS that I might need to bring out of hiding for this one.

ok well I will order one tonight and hope it arrives in time. we should try to figure out either a time to meet up or perhaps some sort of chat session ( I know nothing about how to do that) to get organized. Any suggestions?

Thats not going to work I am going to be out of town over the next two weeks and with a Holiday involved I don't want to risk it. I will hope some one has one or ours will get out late.

Edited by Fathergoose

I've received a couple more emails and will get names added to the teams soon. Both teams need more members though.

Tahosha, bugs must be placed in traditional caches. in the hills is fine, as long as it's inside the boundaries of either playing area.

Speaking of boundaries, here's what I came up with:

CTFmap.jpg

Boundaries for Denver:

north N40 00.000

south N39 30.000

east W104 40.000

west W105 20.000

Boundaries for Colorado Springs:

north N39 06.000

south N38 36.000

east W104 20.000

west W105 00.000

I wanted to make each area roughly the same size, you'll notice by the coordinates (nice round numbers) that they are the same size (except for the slight difference due to the meridian lines being curved). I've also tried to keep the terrain equal between the two areas. Making the areas larger would add quite a bit of mountain terrain to the Colorado Springs area while only adding foothills to Denver. Making it smaller would cut out too much of the Denver metro area and wouldn't really affect Colorado Springs. There aren't any caches on the easern half of the Colorado Springs area on that map, so really Denver has a larger area which Colorado Springs makes up for my having more terrain in the foothills. I'd like to keep the nice round numbers to make it easier to determine where you can place bugs. If you've got a good reason why the areas should be changed, let me know.

Also, if a bug "disappears" or is held for longer than "X" amount of time, it will need to be replaced. I was thinking two weeks. This way no one can hold a bug out of the game making one team lose a point a day until the game ends. There will be a time limit on how long "lost" bugs affect a team.

Sounds like a great Travel Bug game and idea! Think I might just cheer (not a cheerleader, mind you :D) the Colorado Springs team on from the sidelines this year but...

I have one unactivated Travel bug here I'd be willing to donate to get the game up and running if that would help. All ready have more than enough of the TB's released of my own and this one is just chirping to go! :P

I have one unactivated Travel bug here I'd be willing to donate to get the game up and running if that would help.  All ready have more than enough of the TB's released of my own and this one is just chirping to go!  :blink:

Do you want to donate the the Denver team?

I Will be more than happy to reimburse you for it!

Edited by Fathergoose
Sounds like a great Travel Bug game and idea! Think I might just cheer (not a cheerleader, mind you :blink:) the Colorado Springs team on from the sidelines this year but...

I have one unactivated Travel bug here I'd be willing to donate to get the game up and running if that would help. All ready have more than enough of the TB's released of my own and this one is just chirping to go! ;)

Give it to the Dsnver Team I sent a tag down to Sax for the COSP team.

Perhaps the Denver City Flag?

I think something of this nature would be great, especially if we included the date. That way, once the game is over the TB can travel around and garner more interest in these kind of games. Kind of like a not-so-collectable trading card. :blink:

Perhaps list the teams and the associated names on the back of each tag... just to avoid any non-player getting confused (and to give us some credit)?

I think there will be too many names to list on the bugs. I'd rather the simple rules be spelled out on the tags with a link to the complete rules.

I like the Denver Flag idea, but please spell Colorado Springs properly :blink:

Once we get the wording down for the bugs, the tags should be identical except for the city flags (or whatever design is on them) meaning the wording should be the same.

Here is the latest. front and Back! Let me know what you think.

9b9326be-d322-443c-8b3e-4f0b5c9f46ba.jpg

I think it looks good! One thing that needs to be added is the webpage that has the complete rules. As soon as Mr. Lapaglia sets that up, I'll post it here (or he will). I'm going over the final draft of the rules and everything looks good to be starting by June 1st.

9b9326be-d322-443c-8b3e-4f0b5c9f46ba.jpg

I think it looks good! One thing that needs to be added is the webpage that has the complete rules. As soon as Mr. Lapaglia sets that up, I'll post it here (or he will). I'm going over the final draft of the rules and everything looks good to be starting by June 1st.

Mr. LaPaglia is waiting to receive the info to put up for you guys :lol:

<image snipped>

Mr. LaPaglia is waiting to receive the info to put up for you guys :laughing:

Check your email :drama:

ok, now that it's up, here's the new site:

Front Range Capture The Flag

Just a little bump!

We need more Denver players. We have a lot of players in the south metro and could use more in the north end of town but anywhere helps. The more that play, the more fun it will be. Never to late to join.

If you join in please feel free to post a note here so we know who you are and can get in touch with you.

By the way you will be joining the team that is in the lead.

Just a little bump!

We need more Denver players. We have a lot of players in the south metro and could use more in the north end of town but anywhere helps. The more that play, the more fun it will be. Never to late to join.

If you join in please feel free to post a note here so we know who you are and can get in touch with you.

And that lead was cut in half last night when I captured the Denver flag just after 1am :lol:

4098becf-bc45-4dea-b5d9-fc01f648e10b.jpg

Just a little bump!

And that lead was cut in half last night when I captured the Denver flag just after 1am :lol:

4098becf-bc45-4dea-b5d9-fc01f648e10b.jpg

Good one Sax! :lol: I like it. Midnight run is something that I would do.

Now lets start the Prisoner trade talks! :D

I wanted to let you guys know that this is pretty awsome event you guys are doing. I just started geocaching but this sounds like an awsome game. How long do you guys think it will go for?

Not to much longer CS can't hold on to a flag to save there life ;);)

Seriously for quite a while. No one wins til we hit 500.

Haha, if I join it would be the winning team (denver)  :D

Northside!!!  B)

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I captured the Denver bug TWICE this week. The Denver Team has only captured our bug once. Looks like we're winning, the points will reflect that very soon. :D:D:D

:o:huh::P:(:blink::P:mad:

Haha, if I join it would be the winning team (denver)  :P

Northside!!!  B)

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I captured the Denver bug TWICE this week. The Denver Team has only captured our bug once. Looks like we're winning, the points will reflect that very soon. :D:D:D

:P:DB):o:blink::mad::D

how many times do we have to capture your team's flag before you realize that's the point of the game? :huh::(:D

Gee, thanks for the comments Zoltig. Next time tell us how you really feel :rolleyes:

For those of you interested in why Zoltig is so upset, or just want to know what happened to the game, read this.

As of today, the game is still going. Several Denver team members have quit, but not all of them. CO Admin has offered to be a referee for the game now that the rules have been hashed out. Can we continue the game? We'll see

Zoltig and Jessie are some of the real cachers around here, I'm glad to hear that they jumped out of the game that should be known as This is my SANDBOX play my way or go home and drink some Koolaid. :anibad:

Not at all, the referees consistently ruled against the CS team. There is a period in any new game that the rules need to be clarified. Rule changes and penalties were negotiated between CS, DEN, and the Referees. The Denver Team obviously wasn't willing to work through it, so they stormed off in a huff.