A Cache Made In Heaven?

I recently posted a question asking "What is your best find to date?" To which someone responded, "I've got you all beat. I met my girlfriend/future wife at a cache." What a precious find this man came across.

Are there any other similar stories? My first find, and hide, was with my fiance' and I look forward to so many more with this wonderful man.

Is this a hobby/sport/adventure for families? Married couples? Singles looking for...........?

Who do you Geocache with?

I met my boyfriend through caching back in January. Chances are, we'll have a geocaching event to 'tie the knot' later this fall. I guess I'd have to say that was the best thing I've ever found.

Prior to this, I'd been caching with my two young sons. I needed a way to get them out of the house (since they're completely addicted to video games). Now, not only do we cache a lot more, but they have a great male role-model in their lives.

Seems to be a perk for all three of us. :)

There I was at an event cache. A a boy with a canoe and no paddle. And this girl with a paddle and no canoe shows up....wait, that was Mopar.

Metaphorically speaking, 'a boy with a paddle' and 'a girl with a canoe' sounds somehow more correct, IMO. :):)

To make a long story short (longer version in Alias thread), my girl friend and I have been geocaching almost since we started dating. Asking her to marry me this July,... will probably incorporate geocaching into it somehow,... or at least GPS usage. I am making her do a single person version of The Amazing Race, the clues or rewards she collects will lead her to the time / place where I pop the question.

So far from reading the logs and the cachers we have met. It seems to be a pretty even split between couples and singles. But I don't think there are as many family cachers in my general vicinity as in others.

I cache with my wife and daughter all the time. My wife gets jealous if I go solo, and makes sure I don't look for caches that she wants to do . . .

I've been playing with the idea of setting up a romantice cache-away with her, setting up something nice and secluded with coordinates, and surprising her . . . :)

As for popping the question with geocaching, it's be pretty cool to hide the ring somewhere. But just think of the trauma if it got muggled . . . :)

I've been playing with the idea of setting up a romantice cache-away with her, setting up something nice and secluded with coordinates, and surprising her . . . :)

As for popping the question with geocaching, it's be pretty cool to hide the ring somewhere. But just think of the trauma if it got muggled . . . :)

Oh God! Don't make me think of that! :D

Actually I don't think I ever would have left the ring hidden anywhere for that specific reason.

What do you mean by romance cache-away?

We are the same way, don't cache without each other I mean.

Do other couples have this arrangment? No caching without the other?

On November 18, 2001, Jeremy convinced me to join him at this Geocaching event:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

I was fortunate enough to meet Ddog-n-Ma at the event.

On 2/20/04, n-Ma and I got engaged. A couple of hours later, we stopped by this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

We were married in August 2004 a few blocks away from this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...66-4c49e79b1a41

Thanks Jeremy and thanks Geocaching!

My wife and I were married October 12th, 2001 on the summit of Bear Mt. in Ct.

While waiting for the ceremony to begin, my best man discovered a Geocache in a nearby spruce tree.

It seemed like an interesting thing, so we wrote down the web address, and after our honeymoon checked out the site. We found a few without a GPSR, but we just so happened to have a gift certificate to REI that we received as a wedding present. Our first Etrex was purchased, and we are still going strong...

Thanks for the wedding gift, Geogods! :)

My wife and I were married October 12th, 2001 on the summit of Bear Mt. in Ct.

While waiting for the ceremony to begin, my best man discovered a Geocache in a nearby spruce tree.

It seemed like an interesting thing, so we wrote down the web address, and after our honeymoon checked out the site. We found a few without a GPSR, but we just so happened to have a gift certificate to REI that we received as a wedding present. Our first Etrex was purchased, and we are still going strong...

Thanks for the wedding gift, Geogods! B)

Thats an awesome way to discover geocaching!

[stuff deleted]

As for popping the question with geocaching, it's be pretty cool to hide the ring somewhere. But just think of the trauma if it got muggled . . . ;)

Before I got to this post, I was thinking the same thing.

After I read this post, I remembered the trick of a former roommate. He was proposing on a pier and planned to "accidentally" drop the ring into the water for dramatic effect. He went to a department store and bought a fake ring for $7 to use as the decoy. It was probably cubic zirc. and painted metal.

One might somehow employ this concept into the "private geocache" scenario.

Hope this stimulates some brainstorming,

Kenny

I met my soon-to-be wife via a cache I placed. B)

She hid a temporary multi that led me to her, for our first face-to-face meeting. After which we cached together until about 0100 Hrs. :P

We will soon be married at a remote cache location (very dramatic scenery), and a fellow geocacher will be performing the ceremony! ;)

We are still deciding whether to announce an event nearby the wedding site, host one 'in town', or maybe both...;)

I met my soon-to-be wife via a cache I placed. :huh:

She hid a temporary multi that led me to her, for our first face-to-face meeting. After which we cached together until about 0100 Hrs. ;)

We will soon be married at a remote cache location (very dramatic scenery), and a fellow geocacher will be performing the ceremony!  :o

We are still deciding whether to announce an event nearby the wedding site, host one 'in town', or maybe both...;)

You should send out wedding invitations with only the date, time and coordinates. ;+)

Edit: remove brain spasm. 5/23

Edited by KBoyKool

Demos and I have been together for several years now but it was not until this last X-mas that we learned about Geocaching from a coworker. GCing was just what we needed, we had both been looking for a good outdoors sport that could be played at our pace together w/out much competition. :P

GCing also makes a great excuse to leave town for a night or two, we get to spend real time w/ each other, see places we would have never seen, and add a few GC's to our find list. We also try not to put TOO much emphasis on how many we find. We tried to do a lot of caches in one day and just ended up stressing out. :D

I don't know if I will propose to her by a personal geocache but I know we will go on a honeymoon that involves geocaching. :D