New Twist, Same Game Ver2.0

Not wanting to hijaak this post:

New Twist, Same Game

I'm starting my own post, but the ideas are very similar.

What I have in mind is a historic/points of interest tour of our area.

Our local trade & visitors commision already has a self guided tour of all the points of interest in the area here, but you have to read it in a book and follow a printed map.

I'd like to modify that just a bit and use their guided tour book but also have my own twist to go along with it.

(You really would only have to use the tour book if you wanted to get the full experience of the cache tour).

First waypoint would be the visitors center, where you could pick up one of these tour books, if you wanted one.

Of course, you would have to make sure you started during their hours of operation.

If I set this up, I will be leaving "my" printouts of the tour with them also, so someone could pick them up if they didn't print it out before leaving out.

I think the visitor's center would be very receptive of it.

I would have the waypoints listed for each spot on the tour, but it would NOT follow their route. It'd be senseless to do a waypoint guided tour if I were to just follow their map.

You would have to go to the waypoint and get an element to a math problem from that particular point of interest.

Then using the answer to the math problem you will find the next waypoint.

All the way through the tour.

Then the final point of interest would have the final cache hidden near by.

A lot of work to modify an already established tour of the points of interest in town here, but I think the end result would be enjoyable.

Especially by some of us that are history buffs also.

Do you think this is something that you would consider doing?? :D

D-man :D

I think that you're suggesting something kind of like a cache of mine: Londonderry Recreational Areas Tour

The difference is that my tour-cache doesn't have the added "flair" of starting at a visitor's center with tour books... it's just waypoints leading up to the final, but there's a point in every publicly-owned recreational area in town

As you can see by the logs, many have found mine worthy of doing :D

Happy Caching

Jeff

There is one like that in Ft Collins Colorado. It has 8 stops and take to to a lot of neat plaques etc that you would not noramally see. It just makes for a long day, we we makd it long as we did 3 multies at the same time in doing this one. So it is fun go for it.

cheers

Based off of this article:

GPS Tourisim comes to Montgomery, AL

I decided it was time to hatch my long planned idea for a historical tour of the town I live in Geocache. I start the tour at the town museum and then pop people around a few historical spots and then to a final micro. The cache is in my approval Queue right now, but as soon as it gets the go ahead I will post a link here.

One thing that came up while creating it is that there are WAY too many historical spots in town for just one Geocache! So if this gets a few hits and good reviews there wil be one or two more.

I'm working on a similar concept here too. The museum I work in has printed a pamphlet on The Geology of Downtown Raleigh (NC) Architecture. a Walking Tour.

It takes you to ten downtown buildings including the State Capitol, museums, and office buildings that have distinctive stone construction, and give you a little geological info on them. My plan is to use the same tour, but create a simple puzzle from distinctive features at each location. Use of the pamphlet is optional, as I have been given permission to use the printed text on the cache page. The real challange for me is finding somewhere nearby to place the final container. Should get it up and running in 2-4 weeks though.

I like caches that provide a little edutainment along the way.