New Twist, Same Game

Hey all,

Give me a minute for description on this one:

I am an avid motorcyclist, I travel many thousands of miles each year on two wheels, and enjoy evey second of it. I have come to be known as somewhat of an expert on which roads to take to get where, especially when it comes to twisties, or scenery.

My family and I started Geocaching last year, and love it. Love the time spent together, the time wandering through the woods, etc..

I am thinking that if I combine these two passions, We might be able to add yet another twist to this game.

Here is my thought...

I would like to create a "Tour" cache that could span over 100 miles, with many stops in between that would direct you to the next "Checkpoint"

Of course primarilly I was considering this for motorcyclists such as myself, however realistically it could be done in any vehicle, even by our handicapable players..

Let me know what you all think, and I will start working an example up..

Thanks

Glenn

Traveling Wildabeasts

That would be awesome. Kind of like a poker run but it can be called a "cache run."

Just be sure the description gives a good idea of what the cache-hunter is in for! I'd get in trouble if I didn't know it was a weekend-long cache and didn't show up for work the next day because I was still on leg three.

:D

I think it is a terrific idea, but if you are going to have someone travel 100 miles to do your cache please spend some time making it worth the trip.

As an example perhaps you will want to plan on a stop every 30 minutes or less at some area that is worthy of visiting and a cache/coord will be waiting there.

Planning the route along some state listed scenic route would also be nice as the scenery will be good and all you need to mention in your cache decription is the name of the state route and folks can research it on their own and make their own plans for the trip.

I probably wouldn't do a cache such as you are describing unless there was something on the cache page that convinced me that I was in for a guided tour that I would want to remember or at least bring my camera along on in which case I would love such a cache.

Lot's of potential.

I agree with the fact that you will not get many finds. But this is true of any out of the ordinary cache. I have a cache that has been out there for 5 months and only 3 people have even tryed to find. It is way out of the way and takes alot to get to it. But once you do, your glad that you came. I have actually thought about doing the same thing you are talking about. I love the idea

This might work for you. It's pretty popular (38 hits in 18 months) and you only need one container at the end. The other 5 stops are by posted coordinates to get clues for the cache container but no in-between containers to worry about maintaining or getting plundered. You can do a series of 3 caches for 100 miles. That way people who don't have the time to do all three and 100 miles, can hit one or two or three as they desire.

I've got two related like this one. Does not add up to 100 mile but it does take you through the county in really scenis and "twisty" areas. I'm sure you'd find the same in Mass.

:D

Wow, I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that would consider this something..

I think you are right in saying that not everyone will do it.. Definately not, I figured I would keep it right around the 100 mile mark, this way it is doable in a day without much problem.. Although one suggestion about muggled containers, is true..

I would like to find a permanent solution.. Figured I could use light poles as markers, and hide the micro near there.. But with this being New England, I can't really go to the ground for them....

Hmm.. Any other ideas there??

T.W.

BTW, Next time I am in Austin!!!! :D:D:D:D

Do you need micros at the poles? Most poles have numbered ID plates. You can use the number at a pole to select (multiple choice?) the coordinates for the next pole to go to until you finish the 100 miles. Then hide the container at the end.

Edited by Alan2
I think you are right in saying that not everyone will do it.

As you mentioned earlier, it would be perfect for a geo-biker, especially on a nice, sunny day.

A lot of other cachers with the time and the gas would love to take on the challenge as well.

Maybe it could be a multi-leg puzzle cache with the questions placed in the online cache description. We would just print the cache description page. Each answer could be a clue to the next path to take. Nothing to be muggled.

I have a similar idea for a hide. It would involve having one cache but with many waypoints taking someone on a very specific route. this would eleviate the need for caches orhints along the way. I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. Do you have any ideas? dan-da-man

Maintenance of a cache like this could be a total pain in the ... saddle.

A couple of points from the cache guidelines:

"You must be able to react to negative cache logs and investigate the location quickly. "

"The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache listed if placed 250 miles away from their home."

After taking a quick peek of your caching history, you can probably expect the reviewer to ask some questions about cache maintenance. I'm certainly not getting judgemental on your stats, since only about 10 of my finds were 50 or more miles from home. If I were a reviewer looking at my stats, I'd probably follow up on a cache submission made by me that was more than 50 miles from home, so I'm not in a position to point a finger. :)

All in all, I think it is a great idea for a multi, since I love road trips (or did when I had a longer Jeep range prior to kids). Another poster pointed out how it would really be a stinker to get half way through and having one of the multi points missing. Keep in mind the "react quickly" bit. I'd wager that a number of folks doing a cache like this would be in a travelling status, with limited access to the internet, so even a disable of a week could leave them uninformed to the cache being disabled, so your ability to repair the cache would be paramount.

I have a similar idea for a hide. It would involve having one cache but with many waypoints taking someone on a very specific route. this would eleviate the need for caches orhints along the way. I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. Do you have any ideas?

You could post partial coordinates, with information/numbers being derived from points along the way. Unfortunately, even this requires maintenance/oversight, but probably not as much as hidden multi points.

Another idea I've seen and logged is to go ahead and post the coordinates to the cache, and in the description listing waypoints along a suggested route. Of course, you risk someone not caring about your suggested route and going directly to the cache, missing the spirit of the cache. On the cache like this I logged, after doing a map recon I noted that the waypoints took me on quite a sweeping tour, and it was the last cache of the day. I was sorely tempted for about 10 seconds to plot my own route, but put my nose to the grindstone and went the suggested route, turning a 4 mile hike into a 7 mile hike. It was worth it, certainly, and I am glad I stayed true to the spirit of the cache.

Finally, you could pick a point where finders would have no choice but follow a scenic route you selected. An example that comes to mind is the PCH between Big Sur and San Lois Obispo... a cache in the middle somewhere with very little access but along the PCH would almost force folks to take the scenic PCH to get to the cache (unless they flew in...).