It's Here

kstate

The UPS truck came early today. Since I was home with my son who is out of school since yesterday we decided to give our new eTrex Legend a go. We back tracked a couple of caches we had found without a GPS to see how it works and then went for our first find.

We got to the location and began looking using the map we seemed to get close (10 feet and them we would get further away). When I was within 10 feet again I just used my common sense and asked where I would hide a cache around here. With about 5 minutes of looking the cache was spotted.

Probably should have switched over to the Navigation page and I might have gotten a better fix on exactly where we were going once we were on the site.

:):D:D:P:):D

Edited by kstate

The navigation page is what most of us use. If you have Mapsource Topo loaded on it, that can help too.

10 feet off is pretty good. 20,30 and 40 feet is quite common, so I usually put away the GPS and start looking when I'm around 50 feet away.

Edited by briansnat

I've also got the legend, and I use the navigation screen to get me within 60' or so. Then I switch to the sat screen and get the coordinate info there to match up with the caches coords. This seems to be a lot more accurate, plus if there is tree cover/buildings/whatever you can use this method to line up with either the lat or the long and go in from there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Congrats - enjoy the Legend!!

Use the Navigation screen to get within 30 feet or so - then put away the GPSr and start looking - use the encrypted hints as necessary. If need be, back away from the area and check the nav screen again to verify you are searching the right area. (Also check to make sure you were using the correct coords!!!)