Garmin Mapsource For Sa

vespax

I am relocating to Cape Town in September and just saw that Garmin sells data for SA. Does anyone use it and what do you think of it? It mentions that it has addresses and POI's included in the data. Are those any good?

Just some suggestions. I have a GPSmap 60CS. Any other work arounds that you know of for data north of SA? Thanks for your help and look forward to joining the community down there!

hi,

are you asking a general question about Mapsource?

or you refere to the specific Mapsource Product for South Africa. :P

i'm from Bucharest, Romania, (SE of Europe), and i have some mapsource products for Europe, which are really nice. :P

Dan

vespaxvespa

The Mapsource software is good but expensive!

Go to the Garmap site and look at the Garmap software. Version 3 are now out that also gives you point to point turns etc. I have both installed and I find the Garmap software more up to date

Garmap aslo have a Africa chart available. Also very good. I use this map when traveling in Namibia and Mozambique with no problems!

You can also download the Tracks4Africa maps and software.(Normal version is free) It also works with Garmin no problem. In some cases it is even better than the Garmap and mapsource maps. In the pro version you get elevation lines on all the 4x4 tracks etc.

Hope to see you down here soon! Be sure to visit the South African geocaching websites for some info on what is going on here!

Globalrat All South African cache statistics can be found here, and home to the South African GP challange

geocacher General info and home of GASA-- Geocaching Association of South Africa

Africard Travelbug Race

Edited by geocacher_coza

I use it extensively with my GPSV. It works well in the cities. Country areas however are not well mapped, and generally only main roads are covered. So unlike the version for Europe which covers every detail of every inch, the SA version is pretty limited to cities. Considering the price compared to Euro versions it is therefore quite pricey. I do however use mine regularly for city travelling and getting to those caches which are located in the cities.

POI are the usual restaurants, services, hospitals, museums etc. As Geocacher mentioned there is a new version out from Garmap. They also have maps for Africa, but these are not autoroutable. If you plan to 4x4 further north, best to contact 4x4 clubs and forums which will glady share tracks made by other club members.

Hey VespaxVespa

Welcome to Cape Town. It sure is a great place to stay, and if i am not mistaken, is winning Global Rats SA cache numbers challenge :-)

We are looking forward to you bringing some more caching experience to our shores, and hopefully set up some funky caches to beat those gautengers and KZNaninites.

You will find that while CT has some great caches, we are not big on the forums, unlike the other big provinces, who seem to spend as much time on the forums as they do caching, so don't be sad if you don;t get any other welcomes from Western Capers. We're not being rude, we're just out caching instead - or else lazing on the beach cos we are too lazy to go caching ;0)

Thanks to all for replying to this post. It makes me even more excited to joiin your ranks in the caching community there! My time will be divided between Cape Town and Durban for the next 2-3 years.

Question though - The Garmap data seems to be more than twice expensive than the Mapsource select city. Is this because it is more local data and created in SA rather than from Navteq somewhere else or am I seeing this wrong? Garmap says R1710 on their site. I can pick the Mapsource data from Garmins site for US 125. Thoughts are welcome on this,

Thanks again.

Question though - The Garmap data seems to be more than twice expensive than the Mapsource select city. Is this because it is more local data and created in SA rather than from Navteq somewhere else or am I seeing this wrong? Garmap says R1710 on their site. I can pick the Mapsource data from Garmins site for US 125.

In SOuth Africa the Mapsource is more expensive. Just shows you how the middle man are ripping us off! At the GPS-Shop the MApsource version 5 is R1910.00 and the Garmap version 3 is R1639.00 Other places are selling the Mapsource software for up to R2300.00.

To me the Garmap is a better map and more up to date. But with a price diffirence that you can get the Mapsource for go for the Mapsource! Just make sure the version you get is the version5