Cito And Litter

I'm a newbie and just finding my way around the forums - thank you to MarkandLynn for pointing me in the direction of the UK forum - here is a message I posted on the US Forum :anibad:

I think the CITO idea is a very good one. I plan to look for some litter to pick up every time I vist a cache. If everyone did this, we could try and keep our environment clean and safe. All it needs is a couple of strong plastic bags (recycled plastic?!) to put it in. I wonder if fellow Brits will commit to doing this? Where I live there is a disgraceful amount of litter - I think the kids round here (Lancashire) were never taught by their mums/moms to put litter into a bin, instead they just chuck it where they like.mad.gif Even in nature reserves you find beer and Coke cans lying in the trees, and plastic bags all along the river banks. I sincerely hope Geocachers would never be guilty of such a thing.

So keep picking up the trash!

Rose_Thorn

Good sentiment, although at some of the cache sites I have visited you would need a skip lorry not a bin bag.

Perhaps the numbers cacher could start totalling how many bin bags they fill rather than lunch boxes found :D , that should have a big impact on the amount of trash left in the country side.

Trasher of the month league table? :anibad:

We always practice CITO especially with small roos in tow, nice to start them early - although think we may have done job abit too well as smallest roo is not adverse to running up to total strangers waving things they have "accidently" dropped and informing them of the damage to the environment - oh er!!

I usually CITO when caching too. The other day I was accompanying a friend to a cache which I had done and he had not. Whilst he was looking for the cache, I spent my time picking up beer cans, fag packets and sweetie wrappers and we hauled tham away from the site. At least my small contribution takes some of it away and gives me plenty of feel good factor too. However, nothing like venturing into the bushes and seeing the amounts of litter to make one have very negative feelings about our fellow man. My latest pet hate is the people who, having scooped up their doggie's poo, chuck the plastic bag into the nearest bush. Yuk!! :unsure:

My latest pet hate is the people who, having scooped up their doggie's poo, chuck the plastic bag into the nearest bush. Yuk!! :unsure:

I'm with you on that one - they've done the manky bit, the least they could do is take it away - if they are not going to take it away they might as well leave it where it is (not that I advocate this practice either) at least then it will eventually break down, how long do plastic bags take to biodegrade - 1000yrs? It makes me madder than a cut snake and gives us responsible dog owners a bad name :laughing:

Our entry for Trash Outer of the Month we generally do CITO but as said above some places you get to seem beyond the scope of a carrier bag.

WHat are the rules regarding setting up a CITO event ?

Oh BTW found a crisp packet under a rock at the top of a hill if its yours give me a call and ill explain why it shouldn't be there.

WHo do these people think is going to clear up this rubbish after them ?

i'll go and get me coat before i really start RANTING as it gets me :unsure::laughing:

WHat are the rules regarding setting up a CITO event ?

Easy find a sutable location, contact the landowner/manager (there might already be a clean up event already arranged). If it is a council or a large trust chances are they will already have equipment sorted out (pick up sticks, gloves ,rubbish bags, sharps container), if not contact the local council, who will loan out the sticks and provide gloves bags and a sharps container, and make arrangements for collection of the rubbish. Creat and post the event page. And don't forget to find somewhere for everyone to go to for a drink and a chat :laughing:

Dave