Cache contents poll

IGPoobah

I am wanting some feedback on the contents of my first cache. I read all the people complaining about the geocrap they find and about how people's caches suck. I don't want to be that guy...

In a regular sized Rubbermaid container, I have placed the following: Small stuffed animal( a beaver ), a NEW package of chapstick, a Garfield PEZ dispenser, and a miniature citronella candle. It's all I could fit with the letter, notebook and 2 mechanical pencils it is a tight fit.

quote:
Originally posted by IGPoobah:

In a regular sized Rubbermaid container, I have placed the following: Small stuffed animal( a beaver ), a NEW package of chapstick, a Garfield PEZ dispenser, and a miniature citronella candle. It's all I could fit with the letter, notebook and 2 mechanical pencils it is a tight fit.

What is a regular sized Rubbermaid container?

Pez = candy = food in cache.

citronella candle = meltable and scented, however this scent may not attract animals, but it might. Is your climate hot? in Arkansas will it get hot? things that melt are not a good idea if so. That includes the....

Chapstick - should be sealed with original seal.

Not much room to trade, make sure you mention on the cache page to bring something small.

You are off to a good start. Welcome aboard.

Scented items in caches can cause caches to be destroyed by wild life, even something gross like Fish Filets in Mustard Sauce, I know, been there, found that.

At the top of the forums page is a search button, you can use that to search subjects such as this, it has been discussed over and over many times and always people are learning from it.

Try finding a few caches before placing your first, it is good experience. One find and one virtual is a good start, but you can learn a lot by getting out and reading the logs and seeing what others are doing. You could also just do a search for caches in your area, and read what their original contents were, to get an idea. Good luck.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I'd go with more, but smaller stuff in the container you described. Interesting coins (foreign, golden dollars, etc...), new Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars, fresh batteries, allen wrench sets, cheap kids jewlery, mini sewing kits, office supplys. You'd be surprised by how much decent stuff you you can fit in a small cache. As Markwell said, hardware stores are good places to look. I frequent office supply stores, such as Staples, outdoors stores, toy stores

and similar places to find cache items.

You might also want to consider using small ziplocs to hold your stuff, esp the logbook, in case the container fails (which happens frequently).

Finally, Bassoonpilot is right. Wheresgeorge bills are always welcome (www.wheresgeorge.com).

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I don't know why, but my wife thought for years that Pez dispensers would be something I would enjoy collecting icon_smile.gif.

I've noticed in descriptions I've searched (initial or logs) that Pez dispensers have shown up a few times.

Is this a geocache icon of sorts? Do the kids go for these?

I've made a pledge to myself to include something useful or something someone's kid(s) might really enjoy. I still go as inexpensive as I can, but will pick up several popular items if I run across them at a reasonable price.

OK, so my cache sucks. I will start over using some of the suggestions you all have presented and what I have dug up in the archives. I guess no matter what I put in there, someone's not going to like it, and someone else will. So I will just get what I can and be happy. Thanks for the input.

Cache contents don't make a cache suck. Poor placement or stupid hints do. What you have there is fine. Nobody plays this game to get rich so don't sweat it. You probably have really neat stuff around the house or at work you can use. The building I work in is being remodeled so most of the offices are now empty. I found stamps (Confidential, Secret, Top Secret) plus loads of other crapola that are cool to find in a cache.

Your original contents were okay. Some people try to put really cool stuff in at first to reward first time finders, but it isn't required, since most caches will diminish over time anyway. If I put just average stuff to start out with, I make sure the cache site itself is worth the visit. My first cache has pretty lame contents too, you'll get a feel for it as you keep stashing.

elifish