Which Pda To Buy?

Hello. Not sure if this question has been asked, so direct me to archived forums if this has been asked.

I am looking to upgrade to a Premium member on GC.com and want to know what is the best PDA (Palm) to buy to use pocket queries on. I don't want to spend a ton since I'll just be using the palm for geocaching.

Thanks,

Wild-weaver

Palm is actually a type of PDA device. PocketPC is another. Like the difference between a PC and a MAC, Palm software will not work on a PPC, and vice versa.

I personally prefer Palm. They seem cheaper overall, and they're not Microsoft. :mad: Cachemate is next to free, and my PalmVx with 8Megs of RAM cost about 60$ shipped on EBAY: new; opened package.

Palm

GSAK

Cachemate

are the programs I use. Plus PQs from this website, of course.

The best one to buy for geocaching is the cheapest one you can find. All you need is something very basic with 8 megs of RAM (actually you don't even need that much). Get something like a Palm M500 on eBay for $20 or $30 and your're good to go.

If you want something new a Palm Zire 21 is all you need.

Besides, you don't want to be toting around a $400 PDA on your cache hunts and exposing it to getting dropped, knocked around and wet.

Edited by briansnat
Hello. Not sure if this question has been asked, so direct me to archived forums if this has been asked.

I am looking to upgrade to a Premium member on GC.com and want to know what is the best PDA (Palm) to buy to use pocket queries on. I don't want to spend a ton since I'll just be using the palm for geocaching.

Thanks,

Wild-weaver

Cachemate is my PDA software of choice as well, so you will need a Palm unit for that. As it was mentioned, eBay is good for inexpensive units. The Tungsten E is nice if you want a more modern unit. You can find these new for $150 or less now, and they have a color screen which is easier to read than the older B&W screens.

That is what I discovered last week.

Actually, I didn't discover it . . . I was always able to read my Palm M500 screen just fine. But my companion, who has a more expensive color Palm Zire, was positively amazed at how easily she could read the screen on mine in the bright sunlight. :mad:

The newer color screens are very good in direct sunlight. My Clie TJ25 has a 320x320 color screen that works well in all conditions. I recommend this model. It is small, light, and cheap (under $100 used.) It uses a memory stick and can view .jpg files, including photos, topo maps, aerial photos. You can get a dual USB/serial cable, and connect directly to a GPSr using serial/null. I would not go back to a B&W PalmOS again after this one.

The newer color screens are very good in direct sunlight. My Clie TJ25 has a 320x320 color screen that works well in all conditions. I recommend this model. It is small, light, and cheap (under $100 used.) It uses a memory stick and can view .jpg files, including photos, topo maps, aerial photos. You can get a dual USB/serial cable, and connect directly to a GPSr using serial/null. I would not go back to a B&W PalmOS again after this one.

Worth looking into if I upgrade sometime..