Link Opens New Window

acmepinnacle

Why, when I click on a link does it open a new browser window? I am currently using a tabbed browser, and would prefer it open a new tab. better yet, I wish it would open in the existing tab, since I use "open in new tab" when I want to open a new tab.

thanks

Why, when I click on a link does it open a new browser window?  I am currently using a tabbed browser, and would prefer it open a new tab.  better yet, I wish it would open in the existing tab, since I use "open in new tab" when I want to open a new tab.

thanks

You don't say if you're using Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, or Maxthon. I'll guess Firefox, since that's the most likely. You can install the TabMix extension, and set the option to always open new windows in new tabs instead (or the current tab, if you prefer). TabMix adds tab options that should have been in the options interface to begin with.

Depending on the browser, if you hold down the CTRL-Shift key combination it might open in a new tab instead of a new window.

In Opera, that combo opens in a new tab without losing focus on the page you are viewing. Very handy . . . :unsure:

since you are using a tabbed browser, just drag the link to the tab you want.

most of the links are set to open in a new window automatically. It is an HTML thing on how you want a link to operate when it is clicked.

Dragging the the tab or window eliminates all that.

I use MS IE most of the time. I keep 5 windows open and drag postings or their links to the next window down.

cc\

Why, when I click on a link does it open a new browser window? I am currently using a tabbed browser, and would prefer it open a new tab. better yet, I wish it would open in the existing tab, since I use "open in new tab" when I want to open a new tab.

thanks

I'm using Foxfire and when I left click the page open in a new window. But when I click with the middle mouse button (the scroll button) the page will open in a new tab. I think Foxfire comes set up that way or you may have to go in to advanced settings to get it to work.

I started with Konqueror because that what comes with KDE but I quickly switched to Foxfire because I thought Konqueror wasn't able to do the middle click to open a page into a tab thing. But after playing with it for a few months I found out how to configure it.

Google your browsers name and the words tabbed browsing. I'm sure you'll find your answer.

You don't say if you're using Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, or Maxthon. I'll guess Firefox, since that's the most likely. You can install the TabMix extension, and set the option to always open new windows in new tabs instead (or the current tab, if you prefer). TabMix adds tab options that should have been in the options interface to begin with.

thanks. That seems to do the trick.