On the Road with a new GPS

Gimpygoo

We want to start geocaching this weekend. Because of time restraints, we'll probably have to stop by REI on our way out of town and pick up a GPS. We're going camping at a State Park here in Texas.

I have two basic concerns:

1...if we have the coordinates to a cache at the State Park, is there any other info we need? We won't have the internet at our disposal since we'll be on our way to the campground.

2...How do you determine which caches are inside of a state park? I know that you can enter a zip code to find a cache near you, but how do you determine if it is inside of a park?

Can anyone provide us with a step-by-step description of what we need to do once we pick up our GPS? I'd like to print it off and take it with us as a troubleshooting guide of sorts.

Thanks so much!!! We're excited! Does anyone here belong to the North Texas Pop Up camping Association?

Sarah (aka: Gimpygoo)

first off - congrats on choosing a great family hobby!!

peruse these boards for info on different GPS'rs. you will find tons of info and opinions.

also look into the stuff you should have with you on caching trips. water, snacks, extra batteries etc.

hopefully you can tell us what unit you will be buying and you will get a quick rundown on use.

robbie

we use expert gps to look at arial and topo maps to see exactly where the cache is located. if you have a specific parki in mind.. it can be looked up, and you can see how many caches are in and around it.

r

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

There is a link on the cache page to give you a topo. It uses a different datum so the cache isn't exactly where it shows, but close enough to find the general area.

If you print the printer friendly version of a cache page and take your GPS you have everything you need to find the cache. If you just have the coordinates...you still have everything you need to find the cache but you do miss some of the flavor of the cache experience.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpygoo:

We want to start geocaching this weekend. Because of time restraints, we'll probably have to stop by REI on our way out of town and pick up a GPS. We're going camping at a State Park here in Texas.

I have two basic concerns:

1...if we have the coordinates to a cache at the State Park, is there any other info we need? We won't have the internet at our disposal since we'll be on our way to the campground.

2...How do you determine which caches are inside of a state park? I know that you can enter a zip code to find a cache near you, but how do you determine if it is inside of a park?

Can anyone provide us with a step-by-step description of what we need to do once we pick up our GPS? I'd like to print it off and take it with us as a troubleshooting guide of sorts.

Sarah (aka: Gimpygoo)

Welcome to Geocaching! You're gonna have a blast!

1) definately print out the webpage of each cache you intend to visit. There's a couple of reasons for this. a) if you get stuck you can refer to the hints section (if there are any for those caches). :) if you manually plug in the coordinates for the waypoints there is the possibility of human error, such as mixing a number or two up. (not like I've ever done that... ahem... well, see now I know to print out the pages)

2) don't sweat learning the GPSr too much. Just follow the getting started section of the manual and you should be set for the basics of Geocaching. When I first picked up a GPSr I was all bunched up about how to make it work, but just reading through the setup section and PLAYING AROUND with the unit will get you familiar enough to be off and running. I had it figured out in an hour or so once I started goofing around with it.

I don't know where your park is but if you click on this link you can point and click on a cache where you know it's close to the park. From there a Geocache page will come up and you can click on "nearby caches" to show you all the caches in that area.

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Hi Gimpy- I am brand new too. And we also belong to NTPUCA. Will you be going to Daingerfield?

After reading Jennifers email about this, I looked it up and decided what fun it could be. I am really looking forward to this, and I know dh is looking forward to his Fathers Day gift- a brand-new GPS!!!

Look forward to meeting you, if I haven't already, lol

RobnCat (aka CathyAnn)

Hi Cathy Ann and JemJen!

Yes, we'll be at Dangerfield! But when we heard about this cache thing we got all excited. (Our kids are 7 and 9 and don't enjoy nature hikes....but with an objective like finding a cache, we could have alot of fun!)

So...DH wants to go to Tyler this weekend. We're buying a Garmin Etex Venture this evening....they're on clearance at BestBuy for $138, which is cheaper than anything I've seen online for the same model.

See you next weekend!! (We'll be the ones in the Coleman Pop-Up...haha)

Sarah

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpygoo:

We're going to Tyler State Park. So where can I look up caches that may be hidden there? ...

Jennifer has become quite the geocaching ambassador, hasn't she?

Click here for a list of caches in the Tyler area. You should be able to go through them pretty quickly to find the ones in and around Tyler State Park.

Have fun!

Enjoy this fine hobby, Gimpygoo.

Try a few practice runs with your GPS before venturing out to far. I am a little concerned that without being familier with the functions and basic ops. of it, you may trek to far at the start. Please, Please ,Please be sure that you know how to mark a waypoint and mark your camp/vehicle before you go.

Is it possible to pick up a GPS earlier than the day you leave town?? Is this a park that you are already know your way around??

Here in Colorado as well as your state and others, the terrain as well as forest features can change in the span of a short hike. DO NOT TOTALLY rely on your GPS until you know its functions properly. There is a legend (urban or other) about hikers being lost with a new GPS safely boxed up in their backpack.

I am not trying to put a fear in you. I just want your trip and GPS/Geocaching adventure to be a pleasant one.

(look into the stuff you should have with you on caching trips. water, snacks, extra batteries etc.) by Theole34

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

Thanks for the advice from everyone!

My hubby and I went and looked at GPS last night. Best Buy had Garmin Etrex Ventures on clearance for $138.

Then we remembered that we have a 20% coupon for REI, plus an $8 credit. SOOOO...we've decided to spring for the Garmin Legend, which will be about $125 after discounts, credits and rebates!!! We'll be getting it Thursday evening, and can mess around with it then.

Here's a stupid question:

How come GPS work on regular batteries, instead of on a battery like a cellphone?

Sarah

you will find many battery threads advising on types and brands.

i don't know why they opted for conventional battery use over proprietary lithiums or nimh batteries.

i belv in the use of good rechargables for the gpsr. powerex with a maha charger available at thomas distributing and many other sites. the rechargables will not register a full charge on the GPSr meter, but fear not.. a decent rechargable will last.

no matter what you get...

CARRY EXTRAS!!!!!

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

quote:

Here's a stupid question:

How come GPS work on regular batteries, instead of on a battery like a cellphone?

Sarah

Lately I've been wondering why cell phones don't run on AA's icon_wink.gif

I think it's just a matter of appliance compatability- many people carry AA's for flashlight, portable clocks, etc. but a cell phone battery can only be used for that phone and most cell users I know only have that one battery.

If you're worried about burning through batteries, though, try rechargables- I'm glad I asked (in this thread) because it looks like they may be the way to go. I just bought a charger and batteries and I'm hoping to test them this weekend.

As they've said above- definitely print the cache sheets for reference. I have a stack of local caches in my car. When I come close to a cache I grab the coresponding sheet and take it with me.

I leave the hint encrypted too- it keeps my girlfriend busy decrypting while I move ahead and dig through the bushes in peace. Your kids might enjoy the decryption process.

/Benjamin

[This message was edited by Rabbit 282 on June 04, 2003 at 04:27 PM.]

gimpygoo

you can buy a regular topo at rei, but can you plot a point on it? if you can.. great. that topo will be great to have in the future if you go back to the area a few more times.

look into easyGPS and expertGPS. they allow you to enter points or download directly from this site. you can print or export the maps. you can also look at an arial view which may be helpful.

there are some other programs on here too.. quakemap comes to mind.

good luck in your quest.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Hello,

A few things I hope that will be laied out a little better for you.

1) Always have extra Batteries. I carry 12 extra AA's Rechargables, and a 4 PK of Alkalines ( Energizer E2's )

2) Always have a flash light

3) Some way to communicate with the outside world be it a Cell Phone ( that has coverage ), 2 way radio ( extra batteries ) and a whisle

4) Unless you have a better way to do it, print outthe cache cheet you want to do and a few extras you will run through them faster than you think.

5) Tinker with the GPS and learn how to manually enter waypoints, delete and correct them.

6) Have a good park or area map and compass

7) Water and snacks

Others things are personal. Pens, Markers, trade items, packs, hiking poles, etc, but the major stuff I think I have listed. I do suggest that you treat you campin cloths with bug and tick repelant. It been a killer season on the East coast with ticks already this year.

Have fun and happy hiking !

There are two conventions regarding batteries and several threads of discussion.

Some players swear by rechargeables. The downside is initial cost and keeping charged batteries in reserve. (If you go with rechargeables, you will have to change a setting on your setup page to make the battery indicator work correctly.)

Other players swear by disposable batteries. I'm in this camp. I buy huge packs of AAs for next to nothing and trash them when they die. (I hope no one brings up the ecological issue.) The batteries are so cheap that it would take me too long to recover the cost of the rechargeables and there is much less hassle for me.