A Visitor Could Use Some Advice

nonnipoppy

We will be in Seattle Aug 10-13 2005. Perhaps I can squeeze two days of caching out of the these. It will be our fourth visit to the area but our first to cache.

We would like to see as many neat caches as possible during the time we have.

Normally when we cache we look for high cache density with terrain difficulty 3.5 or less. High difficulty we enjoy. We also enjoy micros.

Of course it is not about the numbers but we love to see as many caches as possible in our alloted time.

Now the question. We must book accommodations soon and we have absolutely no idea where we should be looking to stay. We will arrive at Sea-Tac and will have to rent a car to cache most likely. Best Westerns are a plus to us. Certainly we will make the requisite visit to Pike Place to soothe Nonni while we are there. We have heard that there is not much to do around Sea-Tac.

We must then get to the dock to depart on Aug 14 for a cruise.

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks ....poppy of Nonnipoppy

Edited by nonnipoppy

I know that the Holiday Inn in Renton has free broadband. That's always a plus.

There isn't any place in the Seattle Metro area that doesn't have a bunch of caches. I would suggest checking out the pinned topic titled Northwest Bookmarks. That is where many locals are putting bookmarks to their favorite caches.

On a personal note I have only two things to say, Whidbey Island and Ebey Bluffs. I love caching out there and they have some very good caches.

Hi, I must say that although I enjoy many of the "perks" the Holiday Inn chain offers, we had a bad experience with the Renton location earlier this year (Mr. P had his flight-instructor-renewel-training there and we hoped to make a weekend of it). Unfortunately, a beer-fueled party started in our hallway and despite calls to the front desk, the "celebration" was not halted (Leaving us exhausted the following morning). A comment card to the manager never yielded a response.

I'd personally be interested in pursuing a priceline.com type bid for this sort of trip; while you can't ensure the actual property, you can at least choose location and quality level of the property (I got a Marriott for $40 at the St. Louis airport last weekend using Priceline). The downside - in addition to not being able to select property - is that your reservation is non-changeable/non-refundable.

If you want to get "numbers", I would suggest the greater Redmond area, which would probably lead to one of the Redmond-area hotels. If you want "unforgettable experiences", I would side with Team Misguided and recommend Whidbey Island. Not just Ebey Bluffs (which is fantastic) but all the caches in the Deception Pass area. Light House Point remains an all-time favorite of ours.

There are lots of B&B's up on Whidbey, if that sort of accommodation appeals to you. In fact, if you want to stay with royalty, I believe the principals of "The War & the Roses" (Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, Danny Devito) all stayed at the Colonel Crocket Farm B&B while filming. Check out their signature bricks in front of the Coupeville museum if you happen to pass by!

Please advise if you'd like any further Whidbey Island advice, my parents have a second home there and we have spend a great deal of time exploring the area.

I often come down to the Seattle area for weekend caching trips, and usually end up with a reservation at Homestead Studio Suites at Bellevue/Factoria through Priceline.com for around $35.00 a night.

The rooms are basic but comfortable and clean, and have always been quiet. It's located just off the intersection of I-90 and I-405 so there's good access into Seattle and Bellevue/Renton.

Rooms include a small breakfast counter, refrigerator/freezer, stovetop, microwave, sink, plates and cooking utensils which is nice if you want to just have cereal or something quick for breakfast instead of eating out. There's also free WIFI (one-time fee of about $4.00).

Edited by Half-Canadian