Cache Rating System?

theweirdozone

I was doing some thinking and came up with a question that I'm sure someone has already asked. I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a rating system for people that have visited a cache. I know in Wheeling, WV where I live, there only used to be a few caches, and now there are probably 30-40 and more every day. For someone not from the area, it would be nice for them to have a rating to pick which cache to visit. Obviously, some caches have more time and effort put into their design and hiding, and it would be great for someone visiting a town to be able to identify those more easily. This would also help in setting up the ability to identify the best caches in different states or even different countries. Just a thought I had, and I'm sure you've heard it before. Let me know what you think.

I don't like this idea, and its dark outside, YOU GET A ZERO :(

Something that could be done right now, would be for you to figure out your favorites of the area caches and then put them in your profile (or bookmark?) like Markwell does.

If I can't figure out whats good from the logs, I might just ask one of the locals, if they have a list of the what THEY like already, so much better :( .

I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a rating system for people that have visited a cache. I know in Wheeling, WV where I live, there only used to be a few caches, and now there are probably 30-40 and more every day. For someone not from the area, it would be nice for them to have a rating to pick which cache to visit. Obviously, some caches have more time and effort put into their design and hiding, and it would be great for someone visiting a town to be able to identify those more easily. This would also help in setting up the ability to identify the best caches in different states or even different countries. Just a thought I had, and I'm sure you've heard it before. Let me know what you think.

I agree, when a person is traveling they just want to visit a few of the best.

A quality rating system is one way.

We could use a new system for catagorising caches, that is, the owner could

list it as a good cache for out of town visitors.

Caches could be tagged by the main highway that is nearby.

The current system is grossly inadequate, instead of designing new attributes for toilets, the above issues should be attended to. :(

How do you create an objective rating system? I mean rating is normally based on subjective matters and cachers are not homogeneous group. Therefore I am little skeptic about the idea. Even someone would figure out good rating system I don't like the idea, it would make this hobby more competitive and not so relaxd.

Edited by TeamMH

Hello,

Please have a look at this thread, where in November Jeremy disclosed his inclination to incorporate a "favorite caches" concept into the existing bookmark list feature. Members would specify their favorite caches (say, up to 10% of their total finds). Once a cache had received enough votes, the cache page would say "X accounts have this cache on their favorites list." Hopefully there would be a little trophy icon and a way for pocket queries to search for just the caches that are designated as "favorites."

I know that this idea is still on the drawing board, but it falls somewhere behind getting the server hamsters to run on their wheels faster, getting the new solution implemented for locationless/virtual caches, and launching the 401(k) plan for forum moderators.

...launching the 401(k) plan for forum moderators.

I thought that was going to happen sometime in "May"?

:(

For those that don't know, the original promised date for the Locationless Caches to come back was "May", and was posted in 2003 I believe. It became a standing joke that it was never said what year.

Even someone would figure out good rating system I don't like the idea, it would make this hobby more competitive and not so relaxd.

Some people have already made it competitive, bragging about FTF & total finds.

Who cares?

How do you find the good caches?

and avoid the time wasters? <_<

I care because life is already to competitive why make it even more? If we just say that world is like that and accept everything nothing will never change.

Good cache to my taste might be that one which was not rated or not. So every new cache is challenge and suprise to me.

Are there caches which are waste of time? I haven't found those, some has been little dissapointing but never waste of time. I have allways got fresh air and little excercise.

But this is just my opinion.

Suggested "rating" system might be acceptable.

<_<

I care because any rating system is a negative.

If all were rated the highest, nobody's happy, or figure it's all phoney.

If all were rated the lowest, everybody's unhappy.

Some rated high, some rated low:

Low rated caches very negative. The person that placed the cache might think he placed the best cache in the world. Somebody else thinks it's the pits. Neither are now happy, maybe even a big fight.

GREAT, lets rate caches so we can have more fights... Sounds like fun, eh?

... How do you find the good caches?

and avoid the time wasters? <_<

There are a few ways to do it...

• Read the logs
  • Only look for caches of the type you enjoy
  • Look at a map
  • Go after caches that are owned by the same person as previous good caches.
  • Go after them all and learn to relax more
  • Ask your buddy, who likes the same kind of caches that you do.
  • Utilize the buddy list feature
  • Sell your house and move to South Carolina

None of these options are going to work perfectly, but neither will ratings.

I care because life is already to competitive why make it even more? If we just say that world is like that and accept everything nothing will never change.

You misunderstand me, if you think life (or anything else) is too competitive,

it's only because you are playing someone else's game.

For some people geocaching IS COMPETITIVE, they brag about every FTF,

every milestone, plan for milestone finds to be "special", etc.

I don't play by their rules.

I just ignore them :laughing:

And the funny thing there is that the people who are so obsessed with a FTF are the weak players!

Both my FTF's were out there for at least a week, probably a dozen of the usuall suspects looked and failed, the one today was out there for a month!

If you check the log, you won't see me saying it was a FTF.

The other guy and I agreed we'd say it was an easy find, cause the owner

likes to say that about everyone elses cache. :)

Edited by jimmyreno

I also give a big thumbs down to a cache rating system. :)

What if someone dislikes a fellow cacher, and goes to all his caches and gives it a negative rating.

Or maybe that particular cache negates a planned hide by you due to cache density rules.

If you really were out to get the other cache out of the way, you culd give it a bad rating in hopes that people will not go to the cache in question and eventually get archived.

Far fetched, I know, but yet dead on as how a cache rating system could be manipulated to cause harm.

I myself, right here in thes forums, blasted a cache once because it was micro in a parking lot. Said cache killed a planned traditional hide by me, that would have been placed about 250ft away in a wooded area.

At that time the micro was placed, I would have given it a low rating, just because I wasn't happy that it killed my proposed hide.

But later I found the cache and was very suprized by the creativity of how it was hid. And it's high on my list of the ones that I've found so far, just because I saw something that wasn't in the norm as to how it was hid. (plus being able to flaunt in in my bro-in-laws face, because he cant find it, helps too!! :laughing: )

I attribute all of it to being a relatively new cacher.

If your new, you are going to think almost all caches are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But after you get a few caches under your belt, you find you have a preference for one type or another.

If a bunch of people that don't prefer that type of caches visit the cache and log a bad rating then it may keep someone who does like that type away, JUST BECAUSE OF A BAD RATING.

In the end it's all subjective to your personal point of view.

No way to tell what's right ot wrong until you see for yourself.

D-man :D