Garmin 76cs Vs 276c

I was looking at GPS's today and was set on the 76cs until I saw the Garmin276c. Has anyone used the 276c for geocaching and can you load geocaches like you can in the 76C? I already own a chartplotter on my boat , so I wouldn't need to buy a BlueChart., but the cost is quite a bit more. The updating of the screen is far superior too.

Crabby Lady

:)

You want to use a Garmin 276 for geocaching?

I suppose you could but... :laughing:

...but its designed for automobile use. The screen is in "landscape" mode so it can be read on the dashboard, but I don't see an option to change it to "portrait" for handheld use like the GPS V has. Its not a show sstopper by any means, but the display being oriented the wrong way when using it as a handheld could be an annoyance.

It also uses a rechargable battery pack instead of AA's, so if the batteries run down while out on a cache hunt, you're SOL.

Vlad is right in that it has all the features necessary for geocaching, but its designed to sit on your dashboard. The 76CS is designed as a handheld GPS.

I like the 276C and it's 480x320 pixel screen, which is really nice. This GPS is excellent for use in car or boat. I find that the screen resolution on the 60C/CS and 76C/CS is not quite enough. What is interesting is that the 180x240 resolution on the older 76S is better even in Black n White. The only problem with the 276C is the Expensive Garmin Memory modules, I would have wanted SD Memory card capability for it.

brian you are right it is not the ideal caching machine but in a pinch a person could probably force themselves to put up with it... :huh:

*spare batteries can be purchased

*they charge in the unit while it takes you "turn by turn" to the closest point before going offroad

* screen orientation is not ideal i agree but using the compass screen instead of map might be the way to go anyway - besides with this much resolution even horizontally it shows as much as a 60 or 76 even if they are vertically-oriented

* it's also one of the only units out there that actually has a fast-acting battery meter that changes realtime with the backlight setting - nice...

it is definately bigger and heavier than you might prefer for geocaching but if you were looking for one gps unit that can almost "do it all" the 276 is a hard act to follow... :huh:

I am really in a quandry about which unit to buy. The 60cs has the geocaching feature. Is that really worthwhile, or is just a bare minimum gadget? Does GSAK allow me to do what I want without that feature? I really like the 76cs, but since it doesn't have the geocaching feature, and since geocaching is the reason I am updating my gps, I wonder if having more memory overshadows the geocaching feature. What are your feelings out there?

Crabby Lady B)

PS thanks for the info on the 276 c. I guess that one is out for now.

The 60cs has the geocaching feature. Is that really worthwhile, or is just a bare minimum gadget? Does GSAK allow me to do what I want without that feature? I really like the 76cs, but since it doesn't have the geocaching feature ...

The 'geocaching mode' feature is the same on the 60cs and 76cs. Both units have the same firmware and features. They differ in price, basemap detail, memory size, and physical size/shape.