Dnf........ Reasons?

Today we had a rather unusal interruption to our day's caching......... :D

On our way to Headley Ford http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3f-ba66594444f6 See post for image

to be greeted with a fire engine and stranded car........ :D

However, our initial concern turned to laughter once we fully assessed the situation. :lol: The driver had become marooned in the middle of The Ford and needed the assistance of the Rescue and Fire Dept......................... :D

I hasten to add we did not complete the cache but hey wot a laugh!

Anybody else had to abandon their cache hunts for unusual reasons?

So loving our new hobby! B)

Sandabella

Edited by sandabella

The previous finder noted being impressed by a lady in an Audi negotiate the ford. I wonder if it was the same car as your picture, but the ford was a bit deeper this time.

I've had to abandon a days work for exactly the same reason, although in my defence, there was no warning sign on my side of the ford and it was only once I saw the depth marker 50 yards further on that I realised it was a ford (and 2 feet deep!) unfortunately for me, the diesel engine had sucked in some water and bent itself! Luckily it wasn't my van, but my employer's!

Only abandoned a cache once when I got to the parking spot down a really narrow lane with some steep dips and it started snowing really heavily, I put my boots on and suddenly thought "This is a bit silly, if this snow carries on, I'll be stuck here", so I did give up and carry on to work.

That's not a Ford, it's an Audi :lol:

important difference, though I would be more likely to believe that it was a Ford rather than an Audi.

I dont Maroon is on the Audi standard colours chart.

It looks silver to me :D

I once attempted to submerge my 1968 AMC Rambler in water that deep. I was able to drive the car out, but the splashing water hit the distributor and killed the engine. It was fine in a couple of hours after it dried off.

I would. I have been there, and anybody with half a braincell can see that it's not really suitable for normal road cars. The water is 3 feet deep in the middle most of the time. I have been through it in a suitably equipped 4X4 and that was silly enough, thank you! ;)

I would. I have been there, and anybody with half a braincell can see that it's not really suitable for normal road cars. The water is 3 feet deep in the middle most of the time. I have been through it in a suitably equipped 4X4 and that was silly enough, thank you! B)

Fair enough, I've had a belated chuckle. :blink:

theory being is you set up a bow wave which stops the water from entering the engine bay.

still you need to do the sensible thing and check first. doesn't matter how big your chelsea tractor is, flowing water is incredibly powerful and just a few inches can lift you car and take you down river......not funny. for you or the poor sods who have to try to rescue you!