"a" And "the" Missing...

E-caching for the first time. Have noticed that caches whose names begin with "A" or "The" have this removed in the eight character waypoint name in my eTrex. Is this the eTrex or GSAK that is truncating this?

More importantly, are there any other words that GSAK/eTrex truncate in this way?

Edited by CuplaKiwis

GSAK is probably sending a "Smart name" for the cache. You can override this. In "Send Waypoints to GPS" look in the "Waypoint Name" section. Click "Help" to see what else you can put there.

BTW, this kind of question is probably best asked in the general forums, as then you will get the benefit of support from the worldwide community. There's even a specific GSAK thread in "GPS Units and Software", now that you know that [i think it's] a GSAK issue.

Nick

I think this is probably GSAK attempting to display a reasonable waypoint name. I have switched GSAK to use Waypoint names directly to ensure I know what the waypoints are when looking at my GPSr.

You can change what GSAK downloads in the dialog bo which appears when you choose GPS -> Send Waypoints... Click the Help button to see the options.

E-caching for the first time. Have noticed that caches whose names begin with "A" or "The" have this removed in the eight character waypoint name in my eTrex. Is this the eTrex or GSAK that is truncating this?

More importantly, are there any other words that GSAK/eTrex truncate in this way?

Yup it looks like an angst ridden GSAK default of using the smart name.

I use %drop2%typ1%con1 this give the waypoint minus the useless GC prefix and the last two letters give you the type of cache Trad Multi etc and the last gives you the containers sixe Micro Regular etc (important with kids who swap at the cache)

Use Easy GPS to load waypoints to the Etrex as this just sends the gc waypoint not the name. Found a few problems with gsak when sending waypoints to my etrex. If caches are part of a series i sometimes only got one of them.

GSAK can also send the gc waypoint code by using %code

Smart names in GSAK will generate unique names for series of caches, but you must set the length of your smart name to the maximum (or less) that your GPSr supports.

For example, if you set the GSAK smart name length to 8 and there are a series of caches that start with the name "Over the wall", the generated smart names will be:

OverThe1

OverThe2

OverThe3

However, if your GPSr only supports 6 character waypoint codes then all 3 of these waypoints will be sent down to your GPSr as:

OverTh

And you will then appear to loose waypoints as you describe

In this scenario you must therefore set your smart name to 6 characters (%smart=6) then the smart names will be generated as:

OverT1

OverT2

OverT3

Any you will not loose any waypoints

Edited by ClydeE