Abandoned Cache

Moira_Wolf

Last summer I visited the "Womole Trail" cache. It was in horrid shape, full of water and with a rotting log book. Everything was soaked and it smelled to high heaven.

Since then, it's only been "found" three times, and everyone said the same thing. One of the finders before my find stated he'd tried to email the owner of the cache.

I've checked on it once or twice since July when I found it, and it's not been touched. Last Tuesday, I picked up the container. It's obviously abandoned and needed to be removed. At this point, it's only trash littering the forest.

I have attempted to email the "Contact@geocaching.com" to ask if this was the right action, and if they can retire the cache or archive it. There's nothing there now. I can personally vouch that the cache has not been touched at all in nine months and from the posts of the finds, it's been in a soaked condition for over a year and a half.

No one has replied from Geocaching.com.

Did I take the right action and how do I go about reporting this? I'm still fairly new to the game (I took the winter off, but am about to get back out into the woods now that it's warming up) so I'm not 100% sure my action was the right one. I cannot replace the cache, as I'm now living about 400 miles away and went by to check on the cache on my last trip to Arkansas. It'll be months before I go back that way. Evidently no one's wanted to adopt the cache, as it's been in deplorable condition for a very long time now.

Can someone help?

Well, at this point, since replacing it isn't an option, I guess you should log a "Should be archived" log on the cache page, stating that you removed it. That way, an admin will be able to archive the listing, and no other cachers will waste their time going out looking for the cache that you removed.

If I was still living in Arkansas, I'd have adopted it and kept it up (it IS a very nice trail and location), but since I moved to Oklahoma, I'm too far away to keep it up or replace it. I'd forgotten about it completely and hadn't planned on even visiting til I drove past and on a spur of the moment decision, decided to check and see if it was still in the same shape. As it was, I removed it.

Perhaps, I *should* have asked about doing so first, but honestly, I didn't even think of Geocaching until I passed the turnoff to it, and decided to check on it.

I'll post on the page to Archive it, with my reasons... thanks for the help.

I checked the other caches by this owner, three out of four of his caches are having the same problem, being wet/damp. And from the placement of his caches, it shouldn't be a problem for him to take care of them better.

The cache you stated that you recovered has been found not to long ago, but reports are still coming in that it is wet/damp.

I would post it as CACHE NEEDS ARCHIVED and ask if the local approver could contact you. I think the local approver for your area is: crow@geocachingadmin.com

The last post log was before you picked up the cache, my mistake.

Edited by Puppyman

Thanks for the email, I'll email Crow.

And yes... it's been saying "wet" for a year and a half, since October 2003 if you look back into the posts of finds. That's a LONG time to be wet. I could post some pictures of this cache if anyone needs them... It's literally so bad the log book has disentigrated into paper sludge in the bottom of the container.

Wish it was an ammo can... just a tupperware type container... it was behind an overturned stump with no cover or hiding... just sitting on the ground behind the stump.....

Wish it had been an ammo can.... I can chalk this one up to a lesson well learned... DON'T use plastic containers! Stick with ammo cans. This one leaked!

:o